2024 Gameball Thread

Aristotelian

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was on the road and missed this one. Gunnar, Burnes, or Urias?

Urias is responsible for a contribution on 3 runs (2 where he touched the plate and another RBI), and also played good 3rd base defense, and hasn't gotten much playing time, so for this one I guess i gotta give it to him. Although both Burnes and Henderson are certainly deserving.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Battle of the O's grown aces.  Unfortunately Gausman didn't become one until he left the O's.  Chalk this one up to Gray Rod, but the gameball goes to Hays for his 2 HR and proving he has something left in the tank. 

Hays was showing signs of life this past week and tonight was his breakout game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He still had some doubters.  I would like to file a missing persons report for dsytopia.

I've been critical of Hays and was wondering what it would take for him to start hitting again. I do think the Orioles would consider sending Hays to Norfolk to reset his swing if he went through June doing nothing. Here's hoping it's the start of a heater for Hays.

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He still had some doubters.  I would like to file a missing persons report for dsytopia.

It was a good night all around for several of the current whipping boys:

Hays

Santander

Urias 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

It was a good night all around for several of the current whipping boys:

Hays

Santander

Urias 

Santander never even deserved it.  He had some hot and cold streaks, just normal level stuff. Hays and Urias were just off the charts bad at the beginning of the year, the kind of bad that makes you wonder if there’s something seriously wrong with them physically.  Urias (now at 99 OPS+} has basically dug himself completely out of his early season hole.  Hays (70 OPS+) still has a long way to go to do that, but at least he’s showing signs of life.   

Also, I think a lot of people haven’t recognized just how much lower the league offensive environment is this year.  Urias had a 98 OPS+ last year with a .703 raw OPS; this year he’s at 99 with a .684.   Santander was at 121 OPS+ last year with a .797; this year, 118 OPS+ with a .751.  The average OPS in MLB was .734 last year and .698 this year.   Runs are down from 4.62 per game per team to 4.32.   So individual performances have to be viewed in that context.   

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Santander never even deserved it.  He had some hot and cold streaks, just normal level stuff. Hays and Urias were just off the charts bad at the beginning of the year, the kind of bad that makes you wonder if there’s something seriously wrong with them physically.  Urias (now at 99 OPS+} has basically dug himself completely out of his early season hole.  Hays (70 OPS+) still has a long way to go to do that, but at least he’s showing signs of life.   

Also, I think a lot of people haven’t recognized just how much lower the league offensive environment is this year.  Urias had a 98 OPS+ last year with a .703 raw OPS; this year he’s at 99 with a .684.   Santander was at 121 OPS+ last year with a .797; this year, 118 OPS+ with a .751.  The average OPS in MLB was .734 last year and .698 this year.   Runs are down from 4.62 per game per team to 4.32.   So individual performances have to be viewed in that context.   

Agreed, plus with Urias and Hays we have very small samples plus adjusting to new non-everyday roles. Mullins and Hays have a longer way to go but I may be most concerned about Mullins since his "slump" really started in the second half last year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

One thing to note when comparing partial to  full season numbers. League-wide offensive context seems to start lower earlier in the season almost every year. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

One thing to note when comparing partial to  full season numbers. League-wide offensive context seems to start lower earlier in the season almost every year. 

While I think there’s some truth to that, last year the league had a .726 OPS in March/April, .733 in May.  This year, .699 and .695.   

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, plus with Urias and Hays we have very small samples plus adjusting to new non-everyday roles. Mullins and Hays have a longer way to go but I may be most concerned about Mullins since his "slump" really started in the second half last year.

With a small number of at bats, some one like Hays could have a week long hot streak and the same posters demanding he be DFA'ed will be saying he needs daily playing time. 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

What is the Gameball scorecard looking like for the season?

Good question. I've been meaning to do an update. Thru June 3:

3 Gunnar, Mateo 

2.5 Westburg 

2 Bradish, Irvin, Webb, Santander 

1 Burnes, Grayson, McCann, Holliday, Mullins, Suarez, Means, Kremer, Kimbrel, Adley, Tate, Stowers, Hays 

0.5 Cowser