orioles119

It really was a great moment to watch. In my eyes, it's really unfortunate that people had so much disdain while watching. The funny thing is that so many people that "hate" Bonds still felt compelled to watch. Like the fans in San Diego who booed him as he came to the plate, but cheered after he hit 755. It's all very weird, and like many have said, whether you support the record or not, I'm glad it's over.

I agree, it was a great moment to watch. I have disdain for Bonds the person and I don't think it's unfortunate that others do as well as is certainly self inflicted. But for me at least the acheivement is huge even if I can't stand the achiever. I have been staying up late every night and been miserable the next day suffering bouts of incoherence (as evident in some of my posts :) ) from being over tired to make sure I was able to see the record broken. I did not want to miss it. Thanfully it's over and I can get some sleep again.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, it was a great moment to watch. I have disdain for Bonds the person and I don't think it's unfortunate that others do as well as is certainly self inflicted. But for me at least the acheivement is huge even if I can't stand the achiever. I have been staying up late every night and been miserable the next day suffering bouts of incoherence (as evident in some of my posts :) ) from being over tired to make sure I was able to see the record broken. I did not want to miss it. Thanfully it's over and I can get some sleep again.

Well said, I don't like Bonds as a person either, but really wanted to see this record broken. I know I've said this before as others have as well, but I truly believe that people's hatred for Bonds as a person really skewed their views on the Home Run chase, steroids or no steroids. He was a jerk long before the steroid suspicion. Enjoy your sleep brother..

It really was a great moment to watch. In my eyes, it's really unfortunate that people had so much disdain while watching. The funny thing is that so many people that "hate" Bonds still felt compelled to watch. Like the fans in San Diego who booed him as he came to the plate, but cheered after he hit 755. It's all very weird, and like many have said, whether you support the record or not, I'm glad it's over.

Mike Bascik handled this great by the way..First off, he actually pitched to Bonds, unlike so many during this chase. He tipped his cap to him, and after the game got his autograph and spent some time hanging out with Barry and his family. He seemed as happy about being involved as anyone.

And as irony played out, Bascik's father, a Ranger's RH, actually pitched to Hammerin' Henry on 8/23/76 and prevented Hank from hitting numero 756. The Rangers had earlier fled from DC, changing the name from Senators to Rangers - more irony.

The final irony for me was the fact that a New Yawker retrieved the ball bringing my closure back even more. "The teeming scrum of humanity in the stands where the ball landed finally parted to reveal the ball -- itself an object of obsession, not to mention potential riches -- in the hands of a man identified as Matt Murphy, 22, of Queens, N.Y. According to Giants officials, Murphy merely was stopping over in San Francisco on his way to a vacation in Australia, and had purchased his ticket (face value: $13) outside the gates on the day of the game." I was living in Queens, NY when the Giants departed to SF in 1957. :mad:

Hallelujah! Even though they tore my heart out, I still love the orange and black - although now it's moreso the Orioles. I actually had contemplated going to AT&T to see the new stadium and Bonds versus the Marlins when I was in NorCal recently. The price of the tickets turned me off.

And as irony played out, Bascik's father, a Ranger's RH, actually pitched to Hammerin' Henry on 8/23/76 and prevented Hank from hitting numero 756. The Rangers had earlier fled from DC, changing the name from Senators to Rangers - more irony.

The final irony for me was the fact that a New Yawker retrieved the ball bringing my closure back even more. "The teeming scrum of humanity in the stands where the ball landed finally parted to reveal the ball -- itself an object of obsession, not to mention potential riches -- in the hands of a man identified as Matt Murphy, 22, of Queens, N.Y. According to Giants officials, Murphy merely was stopping over in San Francisco on his way to a vacation in Australia, and had purchased his ticket (face value: $13) outside the gates on the day of the game." I was living in Queens, NY when the Giants departed to SF in 1957. :mad:

Hallelujah! Even though they tore my heart out, I still love the orange and black - although now it's moreso the Orioles. I actually had contemplated going to AT&T to see the new stadium and Bonds versus the Marlins when I was in NorCal recently. The price of the tickets turned me off.

Unbelievable, the guy was passing through, good for him I guess. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

We visited San Fran the first week the "new" park was open in 2000 I think, but couldn't get a ticket. It looks like a great place on TV. I never had a problem with Giants until October of 1989 when they just destroyed my poor baby Cubs in the NLCS. Will Clark literally hit .675 in that series. The Cubbies had no answer for him, but I digress.

I still feel that way about the Colts, they tore my heart out, but i can't help but still root for them. As much as I would like to, I still can't get attached to the Ravens.

Ruth also played in a league that was substantially weaker than the one Bonds has played in, so you can probably discount his homers by a 10% or 15% because of that. He also played in the Polo Grounds for several years, which had a 250-ft right field line (Mel Ott, playing in the same park, hit nearly 75% of his 500+ career homers at home), then moved to Yankee Stadium with a 296-ft right field line, so you can discount some number of homers on top of that.

There's a stat I wish we had, but we don't: Dingers per hittable pitch.

My impression is that Bonds is off-the-charts re: other players I have seen. I wish I knew how Bonds and Ruth compared on this mythical-stat.

There's a stat I wish we had, but we don't: Dingers per hittable pitch.

My impression is that Bonds is off-the-charts re: other players I have seen. I wish I knew how Bonds and Ruth compared on this mythical-stat.

Well that would be impossible to track.

One thing to add, I know we all say we don't like Bonds, but I wonder how we would act if we were in the stadium last night.

I was in Citzen's Bank Park the night he hit 713 and I remember talking crap the whole way to the game about how I wouldn't cheer, wouldn't clap blah blah blah.

Then he hit it, and along with everyone else I jumped up and cheered like a 12 year old girl in front of the Backstreet Boys. Ended up high fiving a fellow Italian in the row in front of me from New Jersey.

I don't know...maybe it was just because Sal Fasano was on the field.

I have a "friend" who argues that every player since 1988 should be looked at as a possible steroid user and that it is unfair to single out Bonds. He goes on to give examples that how could we know if Cal took steroids especially since he was able to pplay 2632 consecutive games. I can't even argue with him because I'm so incredulous.

Everyone needs to put themselves in Barry's shoes. If you had all these reporters following you, trying to get some sort of controversy started, how would you act? And he grew up in baseball, he knows from his father what reporters are after. I dont blame him for hating the media. And most baseball players seem to like Barry. Thats how I look at it.

If Bonds wasnt walked so many times, he would of crushed at least 80 HR's. Ive never seen or heard of any player being as locked in as he was at the plate. If you threw one good pitch, he crushed it. It was amazing. He basically carried his team to the World Series. And dominated that. plus he told Peter Gammons he was gonna hit a HR off K-Rod, and he did.

Everyone needs to put themselves in Barry's shoes. If you had all these reporters following you, trying to get some sort of controversy started, how would you act? And he grew up in baseball, he knows from his father what reporters are after. I dont blame him for hating the media. And most baseball players seem to like Barry. Thats how I look at it.

If Bonds wasnt walked so many times, he would of crushed at least 80 HR's. Ive never seen or heard of any player being as locked in as he was at the plate. If you threw one good pitch, he crushed it. It was amazing. He basically carried his team to the World Series. And dominated that. plus he told Peter Gammons he was gonna hit a HR off K-Rod, and he did.

There are other father/son baseball players examples, and not every single one of them portray themselves in the like of Bonds. Griffey Jr was at the ballpark and use to run around the clubhouse when his father player.

Well, we don't know how many players actually like Bonds, what we do know is that he has opted out of the MLBPA licensing program, the first player ever to do so in it's 30-year history at the time.

There are other father/son baseball players examples, and not every single one of them portray themselves in the like of Bonds. Griffey Jr was at the ballpark and use to run around the clubhouse when his father player.

Well, we don't know how many players actually like Bonds, what we do know is that he has opted out of the MLBPA licensing program, the first player ever to do so in it's 30-year history at the time.

There dads werent Bobby Bonds. His dad was a very controversial guy for his time. He got ripped by the media. I havent seen a player say anything really negative towards Bonds. Hell, Arod is more disliked it seems. Bonds seemed to be the man at the All Star game. All the players were gravitating towards him.

Barry Bonds and the media are not the best of friends. In the late 60's and early 70's a very young Barry watched his father Bobby Bonds get roasted by some of the same reporters on the beat today.

Newspapers all over the country misquoted and abused the senior Bonds. Bobby spoke his mind and that's a no-no in America. Bobby had a severe drinking problem and the San Francisco sports beat writers printed some harsh articles.

Obviously Barry's childhood experiences with the media have influenced Barry Bonds the man today. He is tight lipped, passive-aggressive, and at times belligerent. Barry does not trust the press nor should he.

http://www.blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Commentary_1/Bonds_MLB_The_Media_And_American_Rage.shtml

I have a "friend" who argues that every player since 1988 should be looked at as a possible steroid user and that it is unfair to single out Bonds. He goes on to give examples that how could we know if Cal took steroids especially since he was able to pplay 2632 consecutive games. I can't even argue with him because I'm so incredulous.

You can't argue with him because he's right. We simply can't know who used and who didn't aside from those with direct evidence that they did.

Like I said earlier, maybe in this thread, maybe in another: There are only two types of ballplayers - those who failed a test and definitely used, and those who are unknowns.

You can't argue with him because he's right. We simply can't know who used and who didn't aside from those with direct evidence that they did.

Like I said earlier, maybe in this thread, maybe in another: There are only two types of ballplayers - those who failed a test and definitely used, and those who are unknowns.

Where does Bonds fit in? An admitted, all be it, "unknowingly" who took steroids, so he says. Grand jury testimony was leaked that he took it/used and the lawyer who leaked is going to spend 2.5 years in jail.

Archived