Yesterday's Lineup - Thank You Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal

The Goob

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Don't forget Eve Rosenbaum

Agreed.  It is the whole organization.  Hyde for me also does not get enough credit. But the first hire was the most important, Elias and the first person he hired was Sig.  I also think we will see a huge impact from the International Scouting Director in the next 2-3 years.  It is just unreal that if a baseball fan could pick any team today to be a fan of for the next 5-10 years they would almost have to pick the Orioles. 

I like how you credit Elias and Company for developing Grayson but forget that Hall showed little progress under their development.

I don't see how you can look at what they have accomplished with hitters and think, hey, let's also try and give them credit for a pitcher that Dan's team selected.

Is what they've accomplished with hitters not enough to warrant a thread praising them?

The post would be a lot stronger without trying to shoehorn in the pitcher.

• Haha 1

I hope Elias and Adley have as much success together as Belichick and Brady before in the long run of time baseball probably creates some data what happens with one but not the other.

I do really enjoy Elias having grown up with OPACY before the Nats, and hope he'll be around for the long haul.   I think chances are at least decent there, but I do also think Mike Elias vs. the field might be an interesting prop bet if Hal Steinbrenner ever lets go of huckleberry Brian Cashman.

From Sig interviews, I'm pretty sure he'll stick with Elias as long as he is able.

I guess POBO Eve Rosenbaum here could be fun if succession ever became necessary.

42 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I hope Elias and Adley have as much success together as Belichick and Brady before in the long run of time baseball probably creates some data what happens with one but not the other.

I do really enjoy Elias having grown up with OPACY before the Nats, and hope he'll be around for the long haul.   I think chances are at least decent there, but I do also think Mike Elias vs. the field might be an interesting prop bet if Hal Steinbrenner ever lets go of huckleberry Brian Cashman.

From Sig interviews, I'm pretty sure he'll stick with Elias as long as he is able.

I guess POBO Eve Rosenbaum here could be fun if succession ever became necessary.

I'm not sure that I understand all of your post. In particular the mentioning of Elias and Adley in comparison to Belichick and Brady. That is an apples to strawberries comparison at best. Both are fruit and red and round, otherwise unalike. Brady's role as QB and BB's role as head coach and GM is far different and much more directly central to success than Elias GM and certainly Adley as a catcher.

However, when speaking about Hal Steinbrenner being an impediment to Elias remaining as GM of the Orioles long term, I don't see it.

NY is a totally different market than here. You are NEVER going to be given 4 years for a total tear down and all the future building moves for the sake of the present won't fly in NY. Yes, I am sure than other owners like Steinbrenner envy what the O's have amassed. It's why they changed the draft rules. However, some owners know that the path that Elias used to get the Orioles to where they are is not viable in their markets as they know how alienating it would be to their fanbase.

This is to say, that if Elias wants to be here, Rubenstein has the pockets that are plenty deep enough to make that happen. It's probably going to be a similar contract to what the Mets are paying Stearns and the Dodgers are paying Friedman.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s also give the org credit for the O’Hearn pickup.  He was part of last night’s lineup.  For that matter, they picked up Mateo too.  

And Ramon Urias as well. Urias might eventually get squeezed out or turn into a backup, but he's been a vital part the last few years while we've been waiting on prospects to make their way up the farm system.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Ramon Urias as well. Urias might eventually get squeezed out or turn into a backup, but he's been a vital part the last few years while we've been waiting on prospects to make their way up the farm system.

Urias already is a backup. He only plays against LHP so that they can protect Holliday as he acclimates. Once Holliday gets settled in, Urias won’t be playing much at all.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Urias already is a backup. He only plays against LHP so that they can protect Holliday as he acclimates. Once Holliday gets settled in, Urias won’t be playing much at all.

Urias already isn’t playing much at all but I’m sure he senses a chance at a bigger role if Holliday doesn’t acclimate in time.

39 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I messed up mentioning Mateo.  I was trying to stick with the guys in yesterday’s lineup, per the OP.  That’s why I mentioned O’Hearn.  But Mateo wasn’t in yesterday.  

No doubt they get credit for O'Hearn, Urias, Mateo, etc.  I focused on the draft picks because plenty of teams have sucked for many year and had high draft pics but not gotten these type of results.  It is truly astonishing to see the depth of talent in the organization.  I don't live in Maryland anymore but obviously wear an Orioles hat most places I go and the amount comments I get from fans of other team about how much they respect the team and their players would really surprise people.  It is nearly everyday.