Yennier Cano 2024

Just Regular

I’m sure the clear 100% success of the Lopez trade won’t stop the armchair GMs from complaining about whatever trades get made this season. 

It’s hard to win a trade more convincingly than Elias won that one. 

Can they please have Cano throw something up in the zone occasionally just to keep guys honest?  They sit on everything at the bottom of the zone.  He would be so much more effective if they would just give him something to make guys think. 

• 3 months later...

Cano's 31 holds are second in MLB, behind only Bryan Abreu's 32. Plus 5 saves, and just 3 blown leads across all save/hold chances. So, 36/39 at protecting a lead when asked. 

He's often struggled when not holding a lead. (.655 OPS against in save situations, .764 in non-save situations.)

But I think Yennier's durability and reliability have been worth a lot this year in a struggling pen. 

• 2 weeks later...

How good was Cano tonight?  Comes in with bases loaded and nobody out in a 2-0 game: strikeout, strikeout, pop up.  Boom, done.  And the two strike three pitches he threw were unhittable.  

1.77 ERA, 1.03 WHIP in his last 23 appearances dating back to late June.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How good was Cano tonight?  Comes in with bases loaded and nobody out in a 2-0 game: strikeout, strikeout, pop up.  Boom, done.  And the two strike three pitches he threw were unhittable.  

I feel like Cano is somewhat underrated on this board. Yes, he is not Bautista but those were very big shoes to fill. His 2.67 ERA is incredibly impressive when you consider he is usually matched up against the middle of the order and/or in big spots like tonight. Whereas, say, Kimbrel is really much worse than his 3.99 when he is either brought in for whatever matchups dictated by the "save rule" or matched up against the bottom of the order when he is struggling. Hopefully he keeps this going and enters the postseason on a nice roll. 

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I feel like Cano is somewhat underrated on this board. Yes, he is not Bautista but those were very big shoes to fill. His 2.67 ERA is incredibly impressive when you consider he is usually matched up against the middle of the order and/or in big spots like tonight. Whereas, say, Kimbrel is really much worse than his 3.99 when he is either brought in for whatever matchups dictated by the "save rule" or matched up against the bottom of the order when he is struggling. Hopefully he keeps this going and enters the postseason on a nice roll. 

Cano seems really untrustworthy at times.  I don't know, I can't really put my finger on it, because it always feels like he's on the edge of a cliff, despite the fact his ERA is pretty good.

He has 24 shutdowns and 11 meltdowns, so he's definitely put some fire on some situations.  That's a 69% ratio, which is pretty far from elite territory.

Some of why I feel like the club is confident he's durably good is they went to the Craig Kimbrel extent to make sure everyone in the clubhouse would be cool with Cano not collecting saves during Felix's gap year.    David Robertson doesn't provide a club that in quite the same way.

Bailed O'Hearn out before Seranthony bailed Gunnar out.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

He's getting hot at the right time.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hyder used the pen last night EXACTLY how I have pined for it to be used since Felix went down. YC was nails last night in what might have been his best outing this year. Really good. 

21 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Hyder used the pen last night EXACTLY how I have pined for it to be used since Felix went down. YC was nails last night in what might have been his best outing this year. Really good. 

How was last night different than the usual?

I almost never talk about Cano here, but I must say, that last night's 3 batter performance is the very definition of clutch. I wont say more because I know that ANY pitcher can be great one day and horrible the next, but man, what a great job he did.He saved the day, is what he did. And while we are at it how about Kremer's performance coming back from that bruised forearm? Hell, we;'ve had GREAT performances from Kremer, Eflin, Povich, and before his last start, Albert too. Ironically, I haven't seen Burnes be really good in about 5 weeks.

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever Cano gets a little extra rest his pitches have a lot more movement.  He hadn’t pitched since last Saturday when he took the mound last night, and he looked very fresh.