Yennier Cano 2024

Just Regular

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, I’m about to pst this in Roy’s thread, but makes sense to share here.

Dump Webb, Ramirez, and Baumann.

Replace with Wells, Suarez, and Povich.

Wells isn’t back for a few more days, so Bradish and Means can come back without requiring an immediate corresponding dump.

Webb has been solid. There is zero chance he is going anywhere any time soon. I doubt they get rid of Baumann either. 

Bradish for Ramirez with Suarez to the pen makes sense. Then Means for Tate or Akin with Irvin to the pen. 

Perez may be back before Wells. 

I think the O's need 2 closers.  That's part of the problem.  The O's are just in too many close games to have only 1 closer.  If the O's had 2 closers, Hyde could use the closer that matches up better, instead of it's the 9th, time to bring the closer in.

IMO, the only time a team should have an ordained closer is when they have someone who dominates like Bautista or Miller (although A's smartly are trying to limit his workload). 

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think the O's need 2 closers.  That's part of the problem.  The O's are just in too many close games to have only 1 closer.  If the O's had 2 closers, Hyde could use the closer that matches up better, instead of it's the 9th, time to bring the closer in.

IMO, the only time a team should have an ordained closer is when they have someone who dominates like Bautista or Miller (although A's smartly are trying to limit his workload). 

But if they had better middle relievers they wouldn't be in some many close games.

• Upvote 2

Nice outing by Cano last night, but I think we’re going to that well a little too often in the early going, just as we did early last year.  15 appearances, 16 IP in the first 28 games.  I worry that the wear and tear will be showing by June 1 at the latest.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice outing by Cano last night, but I think we’re going to that well a little too often in the early going, just as we did early last year.  15 appearances, 16 IP in the first 28 games.  I worry that the wear and tear will be showing by June 1 at the latest.   

I agree.  We've used him 5 times in the past week.  3 of them were for longer than an inning.  Cano has been huge for us, but we need someone else to be able to step into high-leverage 7th or 8th innings other than he and Coulombe.  Hopefully Cionel can be that guy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He's had his good stuff the last few appearances. Also had a terrific play on a swinging bunt by Stanton (helped out by Stanton's ridiculous speed--Yanks announcers went on about how he was hustling, this is just what he is capable of, etc). 

Its one of the byproducts of playing .600+ ball for a month.

Here are AL relievers by games pitched so far (holy cow what is Oakland doing with TJ McFarland!)

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2024&month=0&season1=2024&ind=0&stats=rel&sortcol=5&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

CLE - Barlow, Sandlin, Gaddis, Clase

BAL - Cano, Coulombe, Webb, Kimbrel

NYY is leaning on Holmes.

Certainly the next 3 games could shift heavily if Yennier or Holmes gets attrited more quickly.

If SP returns are friendly to the Orioles in the coming months, Elias can really focus on the RP market.    Is it too early Eduardo style to start thinking about what RP rentals he would give up Cade Povich for?     Cade Povich for Ryan Pressly, Cade Povich for Ryan Helsley.    David Bednar with a bunch of years is more.

The reward if you can lock up your division is everyone can go to the spa for September.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Here are AL relievers by games pitched so far (holy cow what is Oakland doing with TJ McFarland!)

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2024&month=0&season1=2024&ind=0&stats=rel&sortcol=5&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

Certainly the next 3 games could shift heavily if Yennier or Holmes gets attrited more quickly.

If SP returns are friendly to the Orioles in the coming months, Elias can really focus on the RP market.    Is it too early Eduardo style to start thinking about what RP rentals he would give up Cade Povich for?     Cade Povich for Ryan Pressly, Cade Povich for Ryan Helsley.    David Bednar with a bunch of years is more.

The reward if you can lock up your division is everyone can go to the spa for September.

Why would we trade a starting pitcher prospect for a reliever?

37 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

To record outs efficiently in September and October.

There is no reason to give up a 24 year old, near major league ready, starting pitcher for that. That just leaves a hole that needs to be filled by trading more quality prospects.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure why Elias didn't see this coming. Maybe he just couldn't line up on any other deals despite trying, I'm not sure. 

If Perez can get back to form he'll help, but I'm skeptical. Couple of loud outs last night. Good velo though. 

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

McFarland and Mayza both have only 11 innings vs 15 games so they are apparently being used more like LOOGY's. If you sort by innings as well as appearances, I believe Cano is the only guy in the top 10 of both lists. Hm. 

Another magnificent defensive play by Cano tonight.  If you're a groundball pitcher, you'd better be able to field your position and Cano is outstanding.   

It's uncommon but not unprecedented for a reliever to win a Gold Glove.  Bobby Shantz won several GGs in the late 50s and early 60s and was mostly a reliever at that point.  

• Upvote 1