Yennier Cano 2024

Just Regular

What a ballsy performance by Cano tonight.  Came in with runners on first and third and only one out, sitting on a one-run lead.  Overcame a missed strike three call to the first batter he faced, then got the next two one a strike out and routine pop fly to LF.   He’s got ice water in his veins.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What a ballsy performance by Cano tonight.  Came in with runners on first and third and only one out, sitting on a one-run lead.  Overcame a missed strike three call to the first batter he faced, then got the next two one a strike out and routine pop fly to LF.   He’s got ice water in his veins.  

That was huge.  His stuff didn't look quite at it's best, but he made up for it by pitching very smart.

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:14 PM, Spy Fox said:

I like how Cano has been pitching. He's getting even more ground balls than last year. And the K rate is up a bit, too.

It's becoming unreal how much reliably good and crucial performance the O's get from players discarded or undervalued by other teams. How does the front office spot them?! It's like the Weaver years.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

We have threads asking for Kremer, Grayson, and Povich in the closer role. Can we acknowledge that Cano is the pretty obvious next man up if Kimbrel is removed at some point? I don’t really care about his 9th inning splits. He’s our best reliever and until he gets a chance and fails I’m going to assume that’s just noise and he’ll do the best job.

Tonight makes nine straight appearances with either a Save or Hold. Overall he has held a lead 10 times in 11 chances, and the one miss was a bad outing but still nearly a SV if not for Gunnar’s walk-off throwing error. 

5 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

We have threads asking for Kremer, Grayson, and Povich in the closer role. Can we acknowledge that Cano is the pretty obvious next man up if Kimbrel is removed at some point? I don’t really care about his 9th inning splits. He’s our best reliever and until he gets a chance and fails I’m going to assume that’s just noise and he’ll do the best job.

Tonight makes nine straight appearances with either a Save or Hold. Overall he has held a lead 10 times in 11 chances, and the one miss was a bad outing but still nearly a SV if not for Gunnar’s walk-off throwing error. 

Occam's razor says you're right.  But I wonder if Cano will be the top of the lineup guy whenever that is.

5 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Hyde is smart to use Cano for the highest leverage outs rather than the saves. I'd like to see Cano, Webb, Coulombe, and Suarez all getting chances depending on matchups. 

Even when Kimbrel was going better I generally regarded Cano and Coulombe as the top two guys available for Hyde.

I believe in part Kimbrel's selection was Elias needing someone he could install and keep face in the clubhouse, but that isn't working out that great.

At their position, Cano following Felix is kind of like Mayo following Gunnar in the "skill, not luck" data set.     Maybe Kade Strowd will beat both Mayo and Holliday to Baltimore.

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Another plus play for that Gold Glove candidacy.

Absolutely. Cano has to be one of the best defensive pitchers I've seen in a long time. He's so quick off the mound and fires absolute strikes to first base.

Let's talk a little about about how good Cano has been for the Orioles this year. He was fired up last night in his first true save opportunity this year.

image.thumb.png.a8c846121c79536fee55bed4f4a136ef.png

Here's his percentiles on the year so far.

image.thumb.png.4fdfd6d17434b04e7cbc5bc78fc3ce07.png

Notice his AVG exit velocity may be low, but the fact that he's the best in the league with getting ground balls (72.2 %, 100 percentile) makes most of those ground ball outs.

But here in lies the problem with him closing. We lose him as a weapon coming into tight jams in the 7th or 8th to get those double plays. I have no doubt Cano can be a closer even though he had some struggles last year when given the role after Bautista's injury. 

It's worth noting that he's averaging about a MPH slower than last year in his sinker, but getting more movement.

image.thumb.png.24fd1aa7622ee8ea83b69a9d8cb2aa10.png

There are only 8 pitchers this season who have thrown 50 or more changeup and averaged over 90 MPH. Cano has the most vertical movement and 3rd best % Break vs AVG at 10% better than the average changeup at his velocity +/- 2 mph.

image.thumb.png.a1141543099d3a1a0692ed31a8212ba1.png

Since this is a Cano thread, I won't go into who should close instead of Cano, but for now, I expect the Orioles to use him and Coulombe to close out games depending on who is available. 

Imagine the uproar that would have occurred if the Orioles had traded Jorge Lopez straight up for Cano. Instead, not only did Elias get a much better reliever in Cano, he also got the best pitching prospects in the system currently in Cade Povich. 

Oh, and Juan Nunez is still at least interesting in Aberdeen topping out around 97-98 at times. 

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's talk a little about about how good Cano has been for the Orioles this year. He was fired up last night in his first true save opportunity this year.

image.thumb.png.a8c846121c79536fee55bed4f4a136ef.png

Here's his percentiles on the year so far.

image.thumb.png.4fdfd6d17434b04e7cbc5bc78fc3ce07.png

Notice his AVG exit velocity may be low, but the fact that he's the best in the league with getting ground balls (72.2 %, 100 percentile) makes most of those ground ball outs.

But here in lies the problem with him closing. We lose him as a weapon coming into tight jams in the 7th or 8th to get those double plays. I have no doubt Cano can be a closer even though he had some struggles last year when given the role after Bautista's injury. 

It's worth noting that he's averaging about a MPH slower than last year in his sinker, but getting more movement.

image.thumb.png.24fd1aa7622ee8ea83b69a9d8cb2aa10.png

There are only 8 pitchers this season who have thrown 50 or more changeup and averaged over 90 MPH. Cano has the most vertical movement and 3rd best % Break vs AVG at 10% better than the average changeup at his velocity +/- 2 mph.

image.thumb.png.a1141543099d3a1a0692ed31a8212ba1.png

Since this is a Cano thread, I won't go into who should close instead of Cano, but for now, I expect the Orioles to use him and Coulombe to close out games depending on who is available. 

Imagine the uproar that would have occurred if the Orioles had traded Jorge Lopez straight up for Cano. Instead, not only did Elias get a much better reliever in Cano, he also got the best pitching prospects in the system currently in Cade Povich. 

Oh, and Juan Nunez is still at least interesting in Aberdeen topping out around 97-98 at times. 

Trade deadline deals are risky.  Everyone liked the Miller trade in 2014 for Edwardo Rodriegez.  I hated it at the time because the Orioles had no real starter prospects.  But Duquette was ALL in.  

We did well in the playoffs but did NOT reach the promised land.