Yennier Cano 2024

Just Regular

At least he looks strong again this year.

During Arizona fall league, the folks from Pitcher List gave a presentation on pitch-level value, a readout they developed that is probably broadly similar to Stuff+, just with some inputs Nick Pollack and his team likes to lean into.

Anyhow, that metric thinks Yennier Cano is one of baseball's best pitchers so far this season.    I think for the org Kimbrel had a contain Cano costs angle, and it'd be efficient if he didn't get Saves, but...

https://pitcherlist.com/plv-leaderboard/

Baby steps after a few days rest, Suarez should be out there when the first SP returns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him enter the mix if Kimbrel needs some down time.

• Upvote 1

Cano can't be trusted as a closer either. We saw that last year. The Orioles are going to lose a lot of close heartbreakers this year, that is all. I think they are still good enough to win 88-90 games if everything else goes right.

I'm not as convinced of Cano's inability to handle the 9th. I know he had a poor performance there last year but I think there's a lot of noise in that signal. I would definitely go to Cano next for the closer role if Kimbrel is out for a while. 

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

Cano can't be trusted as a closer either. We saw that last year. The Orioles are going to lose a lot of close heartbreakers this year, that is all. I think they are still good enough to win 88-90 games if everything else goes right.

Just a couple weeks ago everyone was saying Kimbrel looks awesome. I think it is more about keeping everyone fresh but it's tough to do on a 100 win pace with tons of close games. What I don't understand is why we aren't using the taxi squad. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just a couple weeks ago everyone was saying Kimbrel looks awesome. I think it is more about keeping everyone fresh but it's tough to do on a 100 win pace with tons of close games. What I don't understand is why we aren't using the taxi squad. 

Kimbrel and Coulombe can't be sent down.  Bauman, Webb and Ramirez are out of options.  That leaves Cano, Akin and Tate. 

It's a bullpen that isn't built to use the Taxi squad.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Kimbrel and Coulombe can't be sent down.  Bauman, Webb and Ramirez are out of options.  That leaves Cano, Akin and Tate. 

Yep, and Elias knew this going into the season. I would have attempted to move a few of these guys with no options for similar guys with maybe less experience, but with options. 

Then again, not sure how many teams will be knocking down the waiver wire to get Webb or Baumann.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ramirez should be gone. Tate and Akin have options. Those are three spots that could be used for other optionable guys. I think Vespi is the only one currently on the 400 man, however. Still I would expect to have seen him by now.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Ramirez should be gone. Tate and Akin have options. Those are three spots that could be used for other optionable guys. I think Vespi is the only one currently on the 400 man, however. Still I would expect to have seen him by now.

Can’t option Akin.  He has been good except one outing. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Can’t option Akin.  He has been good except one outing. 

It's what you do to manage rest. We could get by without him for 10 days and then he would be back. It's not like position players were optioning is a demotion. But I agree, he has been pretty good so I would get rid of Ramirez and option Tate first.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

It's what you do to manage rest. We could get by without him for 10 days and then he would be back. It's not like position players were optioning is a demotion. But I agree, he has been pretty good so I would get rid of Ramirez and option Tate first.

He just is too important to the pen at this point. I don’t think you could withstand optioning him.  

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He just is too important to the pen at this point. I don’t think you could withstand optioning him.  

It's good he's pitching well but let's not go crazy.    The job he's done the previous 10 days could/would be taken by Albert Suarez, Cole Irvin or Cionel Perez over the next 10 days.    None of those four pitchers really move the needle as a guy a strong staff needs all 26 weeks.

That hypothetical was really just more if he went a 3rd or 4th inning today.    He's perhaps down tomorrow, but I'd bet he like pretty much every reliever on staff pitches twice in the next four games through Thursday afternoon.

Ok, I’m about to pst this in Roy’s thread, but makes sense to share here.

Dump Webb, Ramirez, and Baumann.

Replace with Wells, Suarez, and Povich.

Wells isn’t back for a few more days, so Bradish and Means can come back without requiring an immediate corresponding dump.