Tracking the Orioles' position players by 27-game segments

Frobby

You have to love how Mounty has played so far. Quietly producing amidst the more hyped players, and he's on track for a gold glove IMO. It's Mountcastle, so things could change quickly, but it's been a pleasure to watch him.

Santander needs to figure something out. Mullins is a bit of an issue as well, but he's overall a positive player due to his defense. 

O’Hearn’s chase rate was 30% each year from 2021-2023 and has been 18% this year.  He’s hitting the ball harder and more in the air.  His xOPS is 1.197 per statcast (sum of xOBP and xSLG from statcast search).  He has the highest xwOBA and xOPS among players with at least 10 PAs this year.

I do think it’s fair to wonder whether O’Hearn should get more chances vs lefties.

1 minute ago, Warehouse said:

O’Hearn’s chase rate was 30% each year from 2021-2023 and has been 18% this year.  He’s hitting the ball harder and more in the air.  His xOPS is 1.197 per statcast (sum of xOBP and xSLG from statcast search).  He has the highest xwOBA and xOPS among players with at least 10 PAs this year.

I do think it’s fair to wonder whether O’Hearn should get more chances vs lefties.

Hyde has been slowwwwly leaving him in there more against lefty relievers late in games. We saw it last night and maybe a couple other times this season. I mean when your PH options are McKenna, Mateo, Urias, and the backup catcher, you might as well leave O'Hearn in there to see if he runs into one. 

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hyde has been slowwwwly leaving him in there more against lefty relievers late in games. We saw it last night and maybe a couple other times this season. I mean when your PH options are McKenna, Mateo, Urias, and the backup catcher, you might as well leave O'Hearn in there to see if he runs into one. 

This is interesting to me because I remember last year I looked at O'Hearn's numbers vs. LHP and found that he actually hit LH starters fine for his career but was basically helpless against LH relievers. Sample sizes were of course small, but not totally miniscule.

It really sheds light on just how good of a start O’Hearn is off too. It’s going to be tough to find big Heston ABs until next season when Santa leaves.

As expected the 12th and 13th position player spots were the only real negatives. We need more production from whoever is the 9th starter be it Urias for now or Holliday/Mayo in the future. Maybe some Mateo in the mix. 

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Basically everyone except Hays and Urias got worse, and in those two's cases they really couldn't get worse. I know those red hot starts weren't sustainable, but still you'd have liked to see a few guys keep it up.

Edited by ChosenOne21

Posted (edited)

Four kids (Gunnar, AR, Jordan, Cowser) and four veterans (Mounty, ROH, Mateo and sometimes Tony) have done a really nice job.  Not perfect, of course, but positive contributors.  Great that the younger guys have the bigger WAR numbers.  Lots of good defense in there as well from most of them.  

The next 5 slots have had 8 players rotate through with pretty bad results though Stowers is producing in limited action.  Mullins still plays a good CF, and has looked better the last few games, but has struggled.  Holliday is 20 and will figure it out but didn't look ready.  They completely screwed Kjerstad.  McKenna is gone.  Urias hasn't played much at all.  McCann looks done but it's true nobody has a good backup C.

Hays is the tough one.  Ugh.  He's been terrible.  We all like the guy but his spot is in serious jeopardy.  Mullins looks like a decent 4th OF/PR guy only.  We're all waiting for Mateo to regress.  Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad (and maybe even Norby) could all play important roles in the last 2/3rds and might have a say in who makes the playoff roster.  

Edited by Ripken

I notice rWAR Gunnar segment 2 nipped Gunnar segment 1 by 1.9 to 1.8.

It was a beautiful thing last year when I believe per 18-game segment he increased every measuring period.

The streak either ends here, or he'll be halfway to an 11-win season.

Gunnar isn't quite yet the rWAR leader for players born in 2001 but he will probably take that distinction in June.

Posted (edited)

So the second-segment-only WAR totals were the following, in order of +rWAR. 

• Henderson 1.9 rWAR/1.4 fWAR
  • Mateo 1.0/0.7
  • Westburg 0.9/0.9
  • Rutschman 0.8/0.8
  • Urias 0.4/0.3
  • O'Hearn 0.4/0.2
  • Santander 0.3/0.1
  • Mountcastle 0.2/0.2
  • Stowers 0.1/0.1
  • Kjerstad 0.1/0
  • Cowser -0.1/+0.3
  • Hays -0.1/0