Is Hyde/Sigbot burying another prospect?

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

Oh please. Do a search for Sigbot and get 950,000 results. I'm not sifting through it all. Look, you post a thread for discussion, then you attack anyone who doesn't agree wholeheartedly with your initial post.

If you want discussion, you have to be prepared for people to have different opinions, and then you have to make sure you have thick enough skin to not freak the F out on people who have a different take. 

If having Kjerstad up here for 10 days while Hays is on the IL is going to ruin him, then he wasn't who we'd hoped he was in the first place. 

Again I am going to use the race horse analogy since I have trained and owned 100s and 100s and that is what I am familiar with.

With the 2 year old fillies and colts, which is when they first start racing, you don't break them and train them down to race only to sit them for a year UNLESS they are injured.   The only way they learn and get better is by actually racing.  And if they aren't fast enough to compete in stakes races for example?  You lower the class of race they compete in to a maiden or NW 1.  But you don't just quit on them unless they are lame or so bad that none of it matters.

With Holliday?  Ok Elias tried.  I agreed with it.   But he is obviously too young and too overwhelmed by MLB pitchers that he just was terrible.  But at least he and the Os learned from that.   Now he can go down to a lower level of class and get better.

Machado?  He proved right away that he was a class horse and deserved to be raced (played).

With Kerjstad?   How do we know?  It is like saying I am going to race him in $100,000 k STAKES races and then keeping him in his stall for 2 months.

I love Elias but I think his handling of the talented players that he has drafted in favor of less talented vets can be called into question.

Kjerstad is someone who really doesn’t have anything left to prove in the minors, at least offensively.

OTOH, he’s also a guy who obviously missed a lot of time and it would still be good for him to be getting some consistent playing time.

Having him up here for essentially a 26th man role makes little to no sense especially since you aren’t likely to pinch run or use him for defense. So you have him here to maybe pinch hit?  What’s the point in that?

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

"Just the way it's played out"

Read that as, "It's just the way the Sigbot gives me the lineups and I didn't keep this job through all those years of losses by denying what the Sigbot tells me to do."

Hyde loves his veterans and he doesn't understand or perhaps more precisely, doesn't value keeping his entire bench fresh. Earl was a master at that.

While Hyde is very good at some things, he his track record suggests he'll run his same 9 out there every day (platoon specific of course) until they break or get so tired they become ineffective. then he'll give a guy who hasn't played in a week a start and watch him go 0-for-4. 

I mean, in fairness, I'm not really sure who you're benching for Kjerstad here.  O'Hearn's and Cowser have both been hitting like all-stars and Santander hasn't been awful and doesn't really need to be platooned for.  And since O'Hearn and Cowser both hit left handed he can't swap in Kjerstad there for favorable platoons/occasional day off.  If Kjerstad could play anything other than DH, 1B, and corner outfield, he would have some more options for playing time.

Regarding his bullpen management, I always thought Hyde did a pretty good job never pitching guys more than 2 days in a row and giving guys 2 days off when needed.  The guys pitch a lot of innings but they're generally fairly well-spaced out, so I don't really find his usage patterns to be problematic, unless there's data out there that says that relievers need more than 1 or 2 days off on a regular cadence.  I'd doubt that one, because guys like Bautista pitched like absolute dog if they were allowed to go more than 3 or 4 days without pitching.

Edited by Hallas

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad is someone who really doesn’t have anything left to prove in the minors, at least offensively.

OTOH, he’s also a guy who obviously missed a lot of time and it would still be good for him to be getting some consistent playing time.

Having him up here for essentially a 26th man role makes little to no sense especially since you aren’t likely to pinch run or use him for defense. So you have him here to maybe pinch hit?  What’s the point in that?

He should be splitting time in RF with Santander vs RHP or as DH on Mountcastle off days.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Read that as, "It's just the way the Sigbot gives me the lineups and I didn't keep this job through all those years of losses by denying what the Sigbot tells me to do."

Hyde loves his veterans and he doesn't understand or perhaps more precisely, doesn't value keeping his entire bench fresh. Earl was a master at that.

While Hyde is very good at some things, he his track record suggests he'll run his same 9 out there every day (platoon specific of course) until they break or get so tired they become ineffective. then he'll give a guy who hasn't played in a week a start and watch him go 0-for-4. 

Hyde changes his lineups all the time. I get you are disappointed that Kjerstad hasn't gotten a lot of AB's but Hyde absolutely makes regular use of his bench. In fact that the usual criticism on the lineup threads is that he is not starting the best 9, forfeiting Sundays etc. This really reads like looking for a reason to hate on Hyde.

Bringing up Kjerstad was a dumb move in the first place. I knew he was going to languish on the bench. Only way he gets in is if O'Hearn or Santander get injured. I have to believe AS will not be Hacktastic for much longer. Otherwise, maybe give him a couple days off and let HK play.

When I saw Hicks was DFAed yesterday, the first thing that popped in my head was re-sign him and send HK down so he gets ABs. Then, DFA McKenna when Hays comes back. Hicks was a good fit here and would know his role of a bench player. He's certainly an upgrade over McKenna.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Kjersatd was recalled and started in his first game up (Apr 23rd) and had one pinch hit appearance since. He obviously was not going to start against Cortez tonight, but it's pretty clear the Orioles have no intention of rotating out their starters to give him PAs.

Kjerstad meet Stowers, Stowers meet Kjerstad. Hyde/Sigbot treats you the same. 

The Orioles should have moved Kjerstad for an impact reliever this offseason if they had no plans to properly use him once they bring him to the major leagues. Outside of Gunnar and Adley, the Orioles do not treat prospects, at least not the uber prospects, like they need to get at bats. 

They're in first place, so I guess you can't argue with the results, but I do not agree with Kjerstad just wallowing away on the bench. One PA in a week is not how you handle a rookie in my opinion. I'm sure he's not arguing because he's making big league money, but if they were just planning on burying Kjerstad, they should have just brought up Stowers and let Kjerstad play everyday in AAA until they needed him. 

Honestly, they might as well re-sign Hicks and send Kjerstad back if this is the playing time they plan to give this role.

It is a head scratcher — bringing prospects up and letting them languish on the bench. Even if Kjerstad is viewed more by the front office as part of a future trade — it’s better to let him play somewhere everyday.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Sigbot just generalizes the Orioles use of a computer system designed by Sig and analyzed by several people to give the Orioles brass additional information. I haven't seen one person suggest that it makes every single final decision on anything. Perhaps you can go find some posts where someone has said that.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Back-to-back posts. Impressive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

He should be splitting time in RF with Santander vs RHP or as DH on Mountcastle off days.

No doubt there are at bats there for him to be had but it’s few and far between and they just aren’t going to give them to him.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again I am going to use the race horse analogy since I have trained and owned 100s and 100s and that is what I am familiar with.

With the 2 year old fillies and colts, which is when they first start racing, you don't break them and train them down to race only to sit them for a year UNLESS they are injured.   The only way they learn and get better is by actually racing.  And if they aren't fast enough to compete in stakes races for example?  You lower the class of race they compete in to a maiden or NW 1.  But you don't just quit on them unless they are lame or so bad that none of it matters.

With Holliday?  Ok Elias tried.  I agreed with it.   But he is obviously too young and too overwhelmed by MLB pitchers that he just was terrible.  But at least he and the Os learned from that.   Now he can go down to a lower level of class and get better.

Machado?  He proved right away that he was a class horse and deserved to be raced (played).

With Kerjstad?   How do we know?  It is like saying I am going to race him in $100,000 k STAKES races and then keeping him in his stall for 2 months.

I love Elias but I think his handling of the talented players that he has drafted in favor of less talented vets can be called into question.

What did you do in all of your down time when you weren’t busy going pro in 6 sports and raising hundreds of prize race horses? Don’t tell me you have a shrimping boat.

The whole “this is a good problem to have” stuff is really bs.

If this was a complete team, this would be a good problem.

Instead, the pitching staff is incomplete and we have too many capable guys languishing away right now. 

Moves should have been made to change all of that.

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I don't write that great.  In real life I have a massive stutter and failed my Maryland writing test in High school the first time and had to retake it.  

I honestly was just trying to make a joke on the stats driven front office.  I would never imply or act as if your opinion is not wanted.  

I think Kjerstad must be in a box of big bat no glove no need to treat like a true prospect.  I was trying to bring that point up in a funny way.  Obviously I failed.  I often do.

I read it as you intended.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

I mean, in fairness, I'm not really sure who you're benching for Kjerstad here.  O'Hearn's and Cowser have both been hitting like all-stars and Santander hasn't been awful and doesn't really need to be platooned for.  And since O'Hearn and Cowser both hit left handed he can't swap in Kjerstad there for favorable platoons/occasional day off.  If Kjerstad could play anything other than DH, 1B, and corner outfield, he would have some more options for playing time.

Regarding his bullpen management, I always thought Hyde did a pretty good job never pitching guys more than 2 days in a row and giving guys 2 days off when needed.  The guys pitch a lot of innings but they're generally fairly well-spaced out, so I don't really find his usage patterns to be problematic, unless there's data out there that says that relievers need more than 1 or 2 days off on a regular cadence.  I'd doubt that one, because guys like Bautista pitched like absolute dog if they were allowed to go more than 3 or 4 days without pitching.

Santander doesn’t need to play every single day. He should sit 1-2 games a week unless he’s really hitting well..which he’s not.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

What did you do in all of your down time when you weren’t busy going pro in 6 sports and raising hundreds of prize race horses? Don’t tell me you have a shrimping boat.

See I never try to get personal?  And then people like you get personal with me and show me how stupid most people are.  Which I already know. 

I never had prized race horses.  I grew up buying, training, and racing horses in Michigan  (harness horses) that were not bought for mega money.  I did the best with what I had and was available at the time.    I worked from age 21 to 40 7 days a week, 15 hours a day.  Zero  vacations.   I  then sold all my horses and moved from MI to CA and became a full time day trader.  Which I have always done even since I was a kid. 

I am always amazed at people like you.  You think that working a 9 to 5 job, or in your case just getting govt assistance and living in  your parents basement all of your life......is an accomplishment.    It isn't.  It just means you work for other people instead of yourself. 

Which is what a lot of America does these days.  Work for no one.  Take no risks.  Hooked on social media. 

Hence why America's youth is beyond F'd up.

People such as myself, and others, actually have the initiative to work and try to better themselves.  Whether that be through work or play. 

BTW I have never owned a shrimping boat.  But I am part owner of a CBD company.   Which is a loser so far. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole