Basallo for Miller y/n?

Philip

5 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

Miller for Rodriguez trade got us 20 innings out of Andrew Miller and no world series win while the Red Sox got 14 WAR out of Rodriguez. 

Miller for Basallo is rolling the dice on what could turn out to be one of the worst trades in franchise history.   

I wouldn't trade Basallo for Miller and I'm sure Elias wouldn't either.  If Miller is healthy and available at the deadline, I bet the A's could get a comparable return from someone.  Let's say a top 10 payroll team has a top 20 prospect and they feel like they are an elite closer away from being the World Series favorite this year plus control Miller for 5 more years.  Some team in that situation would make the deal.

14 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think I could be convinced to move Mayo as the headliner for a top of the rotation pitcher with multiple years of club control. You're only getting Basallo if you can pry him from my cold dead hands.

But the point is, who is that pitcher? Who will be available?

I just don’t see that guy coming available.

Basallo is basically on the Machado track. No, he doesn't have the defensive chops, maybe he doesn't stick at catcher. But nevertheless, he's holding his own in AA at 19. Mayo was 20 in AA and hit about as well as Basallo has so far.

I'm with @Sports Guy, I can't really imagine a real scenario where I'm trading him for anything less than an established All Star at a position of dire need. And even then I'd think twice since he has the upside of somewhere in the ballpark of Carlos Delgado or something.

37 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Teams are going to protect Miller due to injury concern. He’s 25 years old with 8 saves in his career. What he’s done this year has been nothing short than remarkable. Let’s not act like he’s a 25 year old Paplebon, K-Rod or Chapman. 

Which one of those is he not on par with in terms of talent? Maybe Chapman? Maybe.

What does everyone think about Tyler Soderstrom or Kyle McCann? I think I might be willing to trade Basallo if we can get someone like Miller plus some decent depth at catcher. We could also maybe add a couple of our younger lower level prospects to the trade. The A’s are probably looking for as much youth as possible and don’t have as much use for these guys who can contribute now.

I think depth at catcher will be big for the O’s, with as much as they want to DH Adley. Would love to have a lefty hitting catcher with some power to give Adley more regular days off. The biggest hangup I’d have to trading Basallo is that he could end up being that guy. If he doesn’t look like he can stick at catcher, I’d be more willing to trade him because we already have plenty of 1B/DH type guys. 

39 minutes ago, potota_bread said:

You're the one doing this for Miller. You act as if he's the only key piece missing for this dynasty run. The truth is that Harvey would make more sense, and could still put us over the top (with other additions) and not cost Basallo. Miller is not even proven yet. At least we know what we're getting with Hunter.

Did you read just one of my posts in this thread? Because I stated differently a few times.

If we could get Mason Miller without giving up Basallo. That would be great. Or if we could get another elite back end piece that would be great too. I think Harvey is good, not elite. He has almost the same amount of career saves as Miller and also comes with injury concerns.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:43 AM, SteveA said:

Isn't Miller in the same spot Kyle Bradish is?   Trying to rehab a UCL injury rather than go the TJ route, but with the possibility hanging over his head that he will pitch for some period of time and then it will get worse and he will have to have Tommy John surgery and miss a year-plus?

I think that has to be considered when assessing Miller's trade value.   There's an anvil hanging precariously over his head that could drop at any time and knock out 25-30% of the time for which he would be under team control.

Bassallo is too much, IMO.

Something that I think is overlooked by a lot of people - small tears can heal - it doesn't just stay a tear and then wait to be a more substantial tear. I've had a small tear in my shoulder (I'm a tennis play/teaching pro) that competes nationally. It takes about 4-6 weeks for a small tear to heal. It's not something that just gets worse. It can get better if you are careful and rest it. My shoulder feels completely fine. I get that I'm not a MLB pitcher, but he's a lot younger than me and his body heals much faster and my shoulder is being used extensively. 

1 minute ago, BirdCakes22 said:

Something that I think is overlooked by a lot of people - small tears can heal - it doesn't just stay a tear and then wait to be a more substantial tear. I've had a small tear in my shoulder (I'm a tennis play/teaching pro) that competes nationally. It takes about 4-6 weeks for a small tear to heal. It's not something that just gets worse. It can get better if you are careful and rest it. My shoulder feels completely fine. I get that I'm not a MLB pitcher, but he's a lot younger than me and his body heals much faster and my shoulder is being used extensively. 

How far south of 104 MPH is your fastball?