Attitudes Towards Past WS Opponents

Jagwar

Posted (edited)

Full disclosure and groundwork for this thread. I was born in 1967. That means that I clearly didn't witness the O's beating the Dodgers in '66, I was only 2 when the Mets beat us in '69, 3 when the O's beat the Reds, 4 when the Pirates came back from 3-1 in 1971. I obviously have no memory of those series. But I do remember the crushing collapse against the Pirates in '79, and the O's winning it all against the Phillies in '83.

Here's the thing... my parents were fans through every single one of those seasons, and instilled in me all of the highs and lows of every single World Series win and defeat. 

I look at the Dodgers and think, yeah, you basically print money, but we swept you hosers in '66. I look at the Reds and say "Big Red machine my #%&". The Phillies are pretty much our baseball b*$#%s IMO. And to this day I cannot listen to "We are Family", and I revel in every single defeat of the Pirates.

Question... Are you at all like me in the way that I view all of those opponents?

Edited by Jagwar
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, 1979 hurt a lot. That lame song and everyone on the national broadcast seemed to be on Pittsburgh’s payroll. No love for the Pirates to this day. 

I was only 5-years old in 1970, but my extended family was all over at my grandparents for those games and I do remember watching it — the impact on young me was how much the team meant to everyone. That sticks with you. And yeah, that was a solid Reds roster, though the “Machine” stalled against our 108-win team.

I don’t need reasons to hate the Dodgers, they’re just Yankees West. Too young for that WS, but I have enjoyed that on YouTube.

1983, well I lived on every pitch of that series. I had moved away from the Maryland, I was the only O’s fan in a high school of 2000 kids and yes, it was blast to mock all of those bandwagon Phils fans in Colorado.

So, I don’t hate on Philly too much, I had too much fun watching them lose.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

As someone born in 1980 I have no clue what it’s like to watch your team play in the WS.  

Oh man... that totally pouts it into perspective. 

38 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

Yeah, 1979 hurt a lot. That lame song and everyone on the national broadcast seemed to be on Pittsburgh’s payroll. No love for the Pirates to this day. 

I was only 5-years old in 1970, but my extended family was all over at my grandparents for those games and I do remember watching it — the impact on young me was how much the team meant to everyone. That sticks with you. And yeah, that was a solid Reds roster, though the “Machine” stalled against our 108-win team.

I don’t need reasons to hate the Dodgers, they’re just Yankees West. Too young for that WS, but I have enjoyed that on YouTube.

1983, well I lived on every pitch of that series. I had moved away from the Maryland, I was the only O’s fan in a high school of 2000 kids and yes, it was blast to mock all of those bandwagon Phils fans in Colorado.

So, I don’t hate on Philly too much, I had too much fun watching them lose.

I honestly don't know what was more intense. Being crushed by losing to the Pirates in 79 after being up 3-1, or the thrill of beating the Phillies in 1983

51 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I honestly don't know what was more intense. Being crushed by losing to the Pirates in 79 after being up 3-1, or the thrill of beating the Phillies in 1983

For me, the happier result triumphs over the devastation.

Fair points though. Opportunity lost for sure vs. Pittsburgh, and I had no idea at the time, that the ‘83 WS victory would have to sustain me for so long.

Just now, Orioles West said:

For me, the happier result triumphs over the devastation.

Fair points though. Opportunity lost for sure vs. Pittsburgh, and I had no idea at the time, that the ‘83 WS victory would have to sustain me for so long.

My dad had tickets for game 6 behind the O's dugout. Game 5 was literally the only time I ever wanted the O's to lose in my entire life.  

• Upvote 1

The Pirates have pretty much done their penance by generally being even worse than the Orioles in the 21st century.  Not easy to do.  

I have nothing against the Reds.  People just need to understand that the 1969-71 O’s were better than any Reds team.  their fans are also long-suffering at this point.  

I disliked that Phillies team and I still dislike the Phillies.  Bryce Harper is a great player but I’ve never liked him.  

We wiped the floor with the Dodgers but I’ve rooted against them ever since.  And they’re really annoying now, the way they throw money around.   May they never win another playoff series.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And I hate the Mets with the heat of 1000 burning suns.  

My grandfather — God rest him — hated the Mets as much as well. The non-call interference in game 4, 10th inning is a play he would bring up a bunch. 

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Pirates have pretty much done their penance by generally being even worse than the Orioles in the 21st century.  Not easy to do.  

I have nothing against the Reds.  People just need to understand that the 1969-71 O’s were better than any Reds team.  their fans are also long-suffering at this point.  

I disliked that Phillies team and I still dislike the Phillies.  Bryce Harper is a great player but I’ve never liked him.  

We wiped the floor with the Dodgers but I’ve rooted against them ever since.  And they’re really annoying now, the way they throw money around.   May they never win another playoff series.  

1990 Reds (cough cough)

This is an awesome thread, if only to show generational differences. I was born in 1990. I don't like Pittsburgh, mostly because I despise their football and hockey teams. I have zero feelings toward the Reds. But I'm fond of the Dodgers—mostly because of watching Vin Scully on MLB.tv in college—and Mets, who I consider my NL team. 

Born in 84.  Never got to see a WS we were in.  Obviously Jeffery Maier in the 1996 ALCS.  That and the 2014 Royals.  To this day I hate both teams.  Yankees #1, Royals #2. 

9 hours ago, O's84 said:

Born in 84.  Never got to see a WS we were in.  Obviously Jeffery Maier in the 1996 ALCS.  That and the 2014 Royals.  To this day I hate both teams.  Yankees #1, Royals #2. 

Yeah I was born in 85. Yankees will always be far and away the #1 most hated team for me. Royals are probably #4. I’d say Red Sox are #2 and Pirates are #3 but that probably has more to do with Ravens/Patriots and Ravens/Steelers rivalries than the actual baseball rivalries. I just don’t like any New England or Pittsburgh teams in any sport. I don’t like the Mets because they are a New York team, but at least they aren’t the Yankees, so it’s hard to say where I’d rank them. Probably somewhere after our other division rivals and now the Rangers because of how last year ended. I do like the Phillies because I have family who are from the Philadelphia area, but I don’t really have any feelings about the Reds or Dodgers. 

I'm a geezer so here's my take. This is just about WS opponents. I hate the Pirates with a vengeance. If I hear the song We are Family I will find a sledgehammer and destroy whatever is playing it. Mets are second. Can't believe such a crap team won.

• Upvote 1