NC State v. Maryland

Lucky Jim

I don't think winning tommorow would be a lock for us getting a tourny berth but it certainly gives us a great chance. While Wake on paper isn't the best matchup for us out of the top 3 seeds they are the one I prefer to play. The hope is with a game under our belts and them not playing for nearly a week that they will be a little flat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rather than the other way around, right? ;)

That is:

They're fresh and huge and we're a bit tired and small and they just basically lean on us until we fall over.

I think MD can do it, but they are going to need a big game from somebody unexpected (Burney, Mosely, Bowie, or Tucker), the expected from Vasquez, Milbourne, & Neal, and another good game from Hayes IMO.

Well I can guarantee you it won't be from Burney ;)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2009/03/burneys_road_to_recovery_could.html

So, Sidney Lowe is incapable of making adjustments to a zone? Good move by the Terps to switch to the zone. But, terrible coaching by Sid to never, ever figure it out. NC ST just let MD completely dictate their offense, and they took bad 3, after bad 3 all night long.

Was it just me, or did Dino look more "alive" than he has at any point in the season. He was playing with some fire last night.

You think there is any chance the Terps come out in a zone tonight against Wake?

The zone worked much better against Wake than man-to-man did, and it worked again last night.

I think we might see that at the outset. Or at least pretty early if it looks like Wake isn't deadly from outside.

You think there is any chance the Terps come out in a zone tonight against Wake?

The zone worked much better against Wake than man-to-man did, and it worked again last night.

I think we might see that at the outset. Or at least pretty early if it looks like Wake isn't deadly from outside.

I think you will see a zone as a change of pace but I think WF is a better coached team and will do a better job of handling it. Their guards are quicker and can penetrate, their perimeter shooting is better and their big men are more athletic. I think you may see more of a 2-3 as opposed to 3-2 where you can just run baseline and throw it over the top-something State never quite figured out. I hate to say it but Md really plays the zone well because of their perimeter size, they are real active and it then allows them to collapse down low to hide their size issues. When you couple that with some pressing/trapping other teams don't get a full clock to run their offense which again disguises Md's inside issues. GW can flat out coach.

So, Sidney Lowe is incapable of making adjustments to a zone? Good move by the Terps to switch to the zone. But, terrible coaching by Sid to never, ever figure it out. NC ST just let MD completely dictate their offense, and they took bad 3, after bad 3 all night long.

Was it just me, or did Dino look more "alive" than he has at any point in the season. He was playing with some fire last night.

+1

Gregory played great defense, made a few shots (including a jumper and a 3-point play), and looked very comfortable out there. I think that GW needs to play Gregory more alongside Neal, with Milbourne, GV and Hayes/Mosley

Is it possible that we are seeing Gregory finally "getting it"?

I think you will see a zone as a change of pace but I think WF is a better coached team and will do a better job of handling it. Their guards are quicker and can penetrate, their perimeter shooting is better and their big men are more athletic. I think you may see more of a 2-3 as opposed to 3-2 where you can just run baseline and throw it over the top-something State never quite figured out. I hate to say it but Md really plays the zone well because of their perimeter size, they are real active and it then allows them to collapse down low to hide their size issues. When you couple that with some pressing/trapping other teams don't get a full clock to run their offense which again disguises Md's inside issues. GW can flat out coach.

Agree completely. As I noted, a remedy versus NC State isn't necessarily a remedy against anyone else. It can be a helpful tool, though (perhaps.)

Dino has been a very solid defensive player the last half of the season or so...he's given them next to nothing offensively though. If he is starting to break out of that, as it appeared last night, he could have a nice little career with us after all.

Dino sure does get a lot of blocks and draw a lot of charges for the limited minutes he plays.

I don't ever think he'll really be an impact offensive player, but I think he'll be able to play solid defense, starter quality defense which is an asset in a bench player, and be a contributor when things come to him on the offensive end.

Milbourne needs to get out of his funk though, and badly. We're gonna need him to do some scoring against Wake for us to have a decent shot at winning.

Dino and the bench were great last night. Unfortunately, Dino's going to be over-matched against Wake's ridiculously long front court. Last WF game - even Milbourne was a complete non-factor inside. We need to live by the 3 tonight. It'll be raining 3's tonight! Go Terps!!!

+1

Gregory played great defense, made a few shots (including a jumper and a 3-point play), and looked very comfortable out there. I think that GW needs to play Gregory more alongside Neal, with Milbourne, GV and Hayes/Mosley

Is it possible that we are seeing Gregory finally "getting it"?

It sure looked like it to me. Not only did he play better, but he really showed some attitude last night also. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue that same style tonight.

Dino and the bench were great last night. Unfortunately, Dino's going to be over-matched against Wake's ridiculously long front court. Last WF game - even Milbourne was a complete non-factor inside. We need to live by the 3 tonight. It'll be raining 3's tonight! Go Terps!!!
Neal has made something like 14 of his last 20 three's. Insane!

If Hayes, Neal, and Tucker can get six 3's between them I think we'll have a real good chance.

Archived