Are we willing to admit how good our rotation is yet?

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We have Corbin Burnes now. We might not have him next season. We need stack the odds in our favor as best we can to maximize the competitive edge he has given to our baseball team by suring up any areas of weaknesses and improving areas that are just average.

Agreed completely!

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Braves and Red Sox are the only teams that have given up less runs than we have.

It’s kind of shocking.  But by the way, what’s gotten into the Red Sox?   They were 11th in the AL in ERA last year at 4.52.  Now they’re first at 2.76.   And pitching in Fenway!  On the road they have a 2.21 ERA.

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s kind of shocking.  But by the way, what’s gotten into the Red Sox?   They were 11th in the AL in ERA last year at 4.52.  Now they’re first at 2.76.   And pitching in Fenway!  On the road they have a 2.21 ERA.

It's a little suspicious honestly, but it could just be the breaking ball-heavy philosophy they've suddenly put into practice. 

6 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I’m not up on contracts, but Means is a free agent after this season as well, right? No idea about Irvin. Pretty sure we have a decent amount of control left over Bradish and Kremer. I know we have a ways to go with Grayson.

Yes, Means is a free agent after this season just like Corbin Burnes is. Irvin isn't a free agent until 2027. He has a few more years of arbitration team control yet. For the 2024 season, the Orioles and Irvin agreed to a $2 million contract, and it never needed to go to arbitration. It is possible that the Orioles can non-tender him but I don't see any reason why any team would non-tender a pitcher who is contributing as good as Irvin is and having this good of a season.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I've always been dubious of Stuff+ because it doesn't account for command at all. No matter how good a pitch is, even if it can't be thrown for a strike, Stuff+ will still love it. (I'm looking at you Fujinami)

Edited by Malike

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

I've always been dubious of Stuff+ because it doesn't account for command at all. No matter how good a pitch is, even if it can't be thrown for a strike, Stuff+ will still love it. (I'm looking at you Fujinami)

They have location+ too!  😁

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Malike said:

4th in team BB% helps.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

4th in team BB% helps.

Sure but in the top 10 are TB, HOU, CWS, TOR who are all near the bottom of the league in pitching. It's a fun metric that I put no weight in.

I'm still waiting for the dream rotation we envisioned in the offseason with a top 3 of Burnes, Bradish, and Grayson. We're close to seeing that, hopefully. The fact that Kremer and Irvin have been this good is a huge bonus. 

Means remains the biggest question mark. 1 good start, 1 meh start. Not much to glean from that sample just yet. 

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Sure but in the top 10 are TB, HOU, CWS, TOR who are all near the bottom of the league in pitching. It's a fun metric that I put no weight in.

It's a navigational beacon like any stat.  BB% gives practical results to stuff+ models.

20 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's a navigational beacon like any stat.  BB% gives practical results to stuff+ models.

Okay they seem to have left it off of their graph of how they calculate Stuff+

image.png.dbdcc7381d2213055f1c615601ae1d42.png

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Okay they seem to have left it off of their graph of how they calculate Stuff+

image.png.dbdcc7381d2213055f1c615601ae1d42.png

Left what off?  BB%?  I wasn't saying that BB% was part of stuff+.  I was saying BB% adds context to what the stuff+ says.