Hays and Santander -- nicked up?

SteveA

Posted (edited)

Both taken out of the game under somewhat odd circumstances.

Hays pinch run for by Stowers,  after pinch hitting for Cedric and getting a double.    

Santander was taken out for defense in the 9th and replaced by O'Hearn.   In the previous inning Santander had doubled and was out at the plate on a head first slide on McCann's squeeze attempt.

Neither of these moves makes sense from a tactical point of view.    Stowers isn't faster than Hays nor would he be a better CF.   O'Hearn isn't better defensively than Santander.   So I have to assume Hays and Santander are both nicked up one way or the other, leading to their removal.   Bears watching as we head into the weekend.   If it's just minor, we have an off day tomorrow.  But I found it odd that with Mullins' slump, Hays didn't start the game today vs a lefty.

EDIT:  Update -- I see in another thread that Hyde acknowledged in the post game p.c. that Hays' calf is still bothering him.  It begs the question of why he was activated in the first place.   I don't know if Hyde had anything to say about Santander.

Edited by SteveA

Hyde just commented on these things in the post game presser.

Apparently immediately after they activated Hays from the IL............he started feeling discomfort in his calf again.  It is minor at the moment, and they are hoping he is good to go after the off day tomorrow.  Hyde said Hays WOULD have started today if not for the calf flaring up.   Sigh.

Santander banged his knee up a bit in the outfield.  And apparently it was bothering him more after running the bases.  So he took him out for O'Hearn.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ripken said:

With Santander and Hays banged up, and Mullins struggling, it'd be fun to see a Kjerstad-Cowser-Stowers OF.

Agree. And let's find a way to get Mayo up here too. Do we really need Urias?

But we're probably destined to see weird stuff like Mateo in center or maybe McKenna if we get him back. lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Both taken out of the game under somewhat odd circumstances.

Hays pinch run for by Stowers,  after pinch hitting for Cedric and getting a double.    

Santander was taken out for defense in the 9th and replaced by O'Hearn.   In the previous inning Santander had doubled and was out at the plate on a head first slide on McCann's squeeze attempt.

Neither of these moves makes sense from a tactical point of view.    Stowers isn't faster than Hays nor would he be a better CF.   O'Hearn isn't better defensively than Santander.   So I have to assume Hays and Santander are both nicked up one way or the other, leading to their removal.   Bears watching as we head into the weekend.   If it's just minor, we have an off day tomorrow.  But I found it odd that with Mullins' slump, Hays didn't start the game today vs a lefty.

EDIT:  Update -- I see in another thread that Hyde acknowledged in the post game p.c. that Hays' calf is still bothering him.  It begs the question of why he was activated in the first place.   I don't know if Hyde had anything to say about Santander.

For the love of God, can we PLEASE give Mayo a shot in this lineup? If his defense bothers Hyde, DH him and put O'Hearn in the OF,and move Mullins out of the lineup...Cowser hasn't been great but he is better than Mullins now...and he could play CF.This team definitely needs a spark. Im not saying Mayo immediately produces...but he's part of the Orioles future..give him a chance. How much worse can he be in the bottom of this lineup?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

For the love of God, can we PLEASE give Mayo a shot in this lineup? If his defense bothers Hyde, DH him and put O'Hearn in the OF,and move Mullins out of the lineup...Cowser hasn't been great but he is better than Mullins now...and he could play CF.This team definitely needs a spark. Im not saying Mayo immediately produces...but he's part of the Orioles future..give him a chance. How much worse can he be in the bottom of this lineup?

Let Mayo DH and O’Hearn play RF. Let’s be honest here… O’Hearn is a better RF than Kjerstad. Now is a good time to get Mayo up and just let the dude DH. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

And we actually could really use him right now, too. 

And it looks like he might be able to hit a bit, at least better than Mullin and Cowser (recently), which is a low bar.  He seems to be perpetually fighting some kind of injury.