Sunday May 19: O's vs Mariners

SteveA

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Question about living arrangements.

During the season does the team give the guys an apartment in Baltimore or something like that? Or do they actually have to buy a house?

I’m really interested in whether Burns likes Baltimore enough to be interested in staying

Burnes is gone after this season. 100%. He is going to test free agency and we will prob not even make an offer which is for the best. 

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've said this half a dozen times but haven't seen much of an answer. When you've got the ML leader in HRs, on a pace to hit over 50 and looking (to me, anyway) like a good bet for 40, why is he batting leadoff? I could understand it if the Orioles had a lineup that was strong at the bottom, with guys who get on base and a sort-of second leadoff hitter in the 9 spot. But the Orioles don't have a lineup like that.

Does anyone think Earl Weaver would have batted Henderson leadoff?

Maybe.

I know Davey Johnson batted Brady Anderson leadoff a lot the year he hit 50.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Question about living arrangements.

During the season does the team give the guys an apartment in Baltimore or something like that? Or do they actually have to buy a house?

I’m really interested in whether Burns likes Baltimore enough to be interested in staying

I just dont see us giving Burnes the kind of contract he will want. We have to save all our pennies to be able to keep Gunnar. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I've said this half a dozen times but haven't seen much of an answer. When you've got the ML leader in HRs, on a pace to hit over 50 and looking (to me, anyway) like a good bet for 40, why is he batting leadoff? I could understand it if the Orioles had a lineup that was strong at the bottom, with guys who get on base and a sort-of second leadoff hitter in the 9 spot. But the Orioles don't have a lineup like that.

Does anyone think Earl Weaver would have batted Henderson leadoff?

I have said the same before but apparently the analytics tell them you rather have Gunnar have more at bats than anyone else and he can produce more runs even if they are more solo homeruns.  He still is near the top of the league in RBI’s even batting leadoff.  I think if we had a hatter that had real speed, hit for a high average you would bat him first.  However, there isn’t anyone yet that fits that description.  Mullins certainly was during that 30/30 year but not now.   I could see Holliday doing that early in his career.  I think Holliday’s power will develop as he gets older.