Tuesday, May 21 / Wednesday May 22 GAME RESUMES at 12:15pm: Orange/Black Birds vs Red Birds

SteveA

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

What is it 4 hits in 13 innings?

Yeah and they maybe deserve 5 or 6 at most which is even more troubling. Not like they’re hitting it hard right at defenders. They’ve just been bad. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

And Melanie has joined. The crowd…and I have turned the sound down on the TV.

The radio guys aren’t great, but they’re are certainly better.

I like when the guys call a double play. I think it's Arnold's thing to say "You can count that for two!". 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tune into the game, get a history lesson about Lewis and Clark instead. 

Would you rather they talk about how the Os can't hit?  It's bad enough we have to watch them not hit,  I would rather listen to the banter to take my mind off it

Just now, Malike said:

Nobody is privy to the discussions he has with the players. To say he is too passive is a silly assumption. He called them out last night for needing to take better at bats. He's not afraid of his players or hurting their feelings, they are all big boys.

We don't know how passive he is in the clubhouse, but he's very passive towards umpires. He just does that glare thing but rarely if ever really gets upset at them, even after multiple poor calls by the plate umpire. 

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just an observation.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ah, okay. The secret is to get tossed in the first inning. Got it. You are speculating that the players don't think he's standing up for them, you'd need 100 foot arms to reach that far, but whatever. Aaron Boone got tossed more than anyone last year and compelled the Yankees to 82 wins. He's one of the greats.

And you are speculating that they don’t care if he says nothing.  As for Boone, last I looked they are in first this year.  
Seems like most great managers get ejected a lot. 
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/mgr_ejections_career.shtml

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It’s a folly now. There’s an elevator in that thing?!

Always has been.  I believe the elevator system was designed by a Univ of Maryland "dropout" if memory serves me correctly (I went up in it in 2002; there's a brief "making of" video at the base of the arch; every guy in the video has a cigarette in his mouth during construction).

Edited by Paul in Virginia
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ripken said:

But why?  Isn't the Orioles entire draft and development process basically focused on the opposite of what we're seeing?  Call it what you'd like, plate discipline, controlling the zone, pitch recognition, etc.  Where the F is all of that?  Where are the approaches that resulted in video game like OBPs on the path to Baltimore?  I get that Mounty, Hays, Santa and Mullins are what they are, and they are all freezing cold right now, but the young kids are hacking at everything, too.  It's driving me crazy.

Great question. It's seems as though the new hitting coaches brought a new philosophy. Maybe they did some research and sigbot said to be more aggressive now? Who knows. It's just an obvious change in the way we thought this offense would approach hitting vs how they have mostly this year.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe they're even letting Santander DH if "running is tricky." Cost the Orioles a baserunner last night when strike three got way away from the catcher and Tony was still thrown out by a step. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We don't know how passive he is in the clubhouse, but he's very passive towards umpires. He just does that glare thing but rarely if ever really gets upset at them, even after multiple poor calls by the plate umpire. 

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just an observation.

If you aren't named Aaron Boone or David Bell, you just don't show up on many ejection leaderboards. I wouldn't consider either of them elite managers. I'm okay with not getting tossed as I don't believe it helps the team, just my opinion.