Wednesday, May 29: rubber match vs Red Sox

SteveA

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

That call surprised me.  I thought it was clear he was safe from the replays

The issues I have with replay this season is that if the umpire called him safe, the review most likely would stand.  If the review process is not going to be as exact as intended in prior seasons, offer two reviews per game.

My theory on this season’s replay history is they will not overturn the call if the umpires view shows no true ability to make a different call. Even if video evidence indicates Mateo might have been safe, the umpire saw / video review sees the call standing because he did come off the bag with one hand.

He was safe, IMO, because he brought his other hand in and his leg hit the base to make it a continuous safe contact slide. The camera angles were limited and it is possible the tag hit Mateo’s Jersey at the time of base contact.

it bothers me, since we now have experienced calls not get overturned that seemed obvious, while others have. The review process needs transparency. Especially with the sport making billions on gambling.

Edited by Since1984
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wonder if Burnes comes back out next inning or if that's it.

Hyde should be tarred and feathered if he pulls him. Unless he starts complaining about being “fatigued” again. 

Well, assuming he doesn't somehow give up a ton of runs next inning before being removed, this will be his 7th straight quality start.   Longest streak by an Oriole in quite a few years.  (His 6 matched Alex Cobb in 2018, don't know how much further you have to go back to find 7).

• Upvote 1

Just now, dystopia said:

Hyde should be tarred and feathered if he pulls him. Unless he starts complaining about being “fatigued” again. 

Well the league average max limit pitches per game is 100, and he's only 12 pitches away from that. 1 batter could get him to 100. 2 maybe if things go well. But 3 batters would be stretching it.

I know that some of you are okay with and think that the team will be good if/when Burnes leaves in FA. But the reality is that he and Bradish are unlike all of our other pitchers (including Grayson). Both are true dependable TOR starters.

Maybe we will be good (in terms of true championship contenders) without Burnes? Maybe if we get The Mountain back and line him up with another dominant reliever like Miller? But otherwise, we don't have anyone that can reasonably give us what Burnes is giving us next year and not feel his loss. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be pissed if Burnes doesn’t pitch in the 7th.  88 pitches. 

If he doesn't come out, it's going to look like he's trying to protect himself in a FA year and I'd be pissed.