The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

How good is Scherzer at this point? How much does he really have left in the tank? 

If he’s the 2022 Scherzer then yes absolutely I want him! But if he is the 2023 Scherzer then no I do not want him.

I hope that we can acquire better and potentially someone who can help us next season.

I think any team that tried to acquire Max Scherzer would be hoping for some kind of a "gutsy" playoff performance more than the regular season slodge .

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's a 30 year old UIF with a sub-100 OPS+ since opening day last year who is already in his arbitration years. Why would a rebuilding team trade anything of value that they have to market to contenders for that instead of prospects?

Similar to why Elias brought him in, plays good infield defense, which you need to give young pitchers confidence and start a winning culture.  I also said Urias plus which means the team trading for him would also acquire a prospect for the rebuild.

Should Kyle Hendricks be under consideration?  He is a rental and even if the Cubs are in it, they could deal him and Urias could actually be someone that could interest them as part of the deal.

His statcast page is pretty decent and in line with a lot of his career. The thing I dislike is that he doesn’t miss bats or get Ks. OTOH, he’s a GB pitcher who doesn’t allow hard contact. He would worry me in the playoffs but he does have a 3.12 ERA in the postseason, over 12 games (11 starts), so he has some experience.

His ERA is high this year and he has been killed by the homer although he has only allowed 1 homer over his last 7 starts and none on his last 5.

Could he be a “cheap” option here?  Trade Urias and a prospect or 2 like Max Wagner(some B-/C+ type prospect).  

image.thumb.jpeg.61e89b9d3a1405f2e0f5940fcd282aa5.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No, I don’t think so. If that is the case, he would have already been gone most likely.

I don’t see a non-contending team wanting him. They are going to want prospects that match the timeline of their rebuild.

That’s just how the trade deadline has typically gone historically.

We will see, either way I think Urias will be in another uniform before long.  I have enjoyed having him in an O's uniform and he made an impact in turning this team around but it is time for the uber talented youth to take over. 

This schedule is brutal until after the All Star Break. The O's have 2 July off days before the All Star break, but they bookend a West Coast Trip

It eases up after the All Star Break up until the Trade Deadline.  I think Elias is probably trying to play .500 baseball up until the all star break. His guys will finally rest, they will hopefully be playing winning baseball up until July 31, and he can take his time making the right pitching moves at the best costs. 

He might have to trade for a back end starter for some depth to make sure they make it through July though. I think the big splash is coming, but I don't think it will be until the deadline bc he's gonna bargain

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Similar to why Elias brought him in, plays good infield defense, which you need to give young pitchers confidence and start a winning culture.  I also said Urias plus which means the team trading for him would also acquire a prospect for the rebuild.

Elias brought him in because he was basically free- a waiver claim making the league minimum. He's making over $2 million now and will only get more expensive from here. No rebuilding team is going to squander part of the value of their trade chips to acquire him instead of a prospect with a higher ceiling and more control.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think any team that tried to acquire Max Scherzer would be hoping for some kind of a "gutsy" playoff performance more than the regular season slodge .

With a Major League that is this good combined with a farm system that is this loaded, I am not very comfortable with the idea of relying on a player to have be “gutsy” in order to be successful. I would rather just acquire a player who has the talent to be successful.

To me, it is important to make additions with a high floor in order to improve our chances. 

We tried the high risk/high reward/low cost acquisitions last year and they flopped and proved to be a net ZERO. 

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

How much would we really need to give up to get Estevez and Scherzer? Both straight rentals.

I would be pretty happy with that outcome and I think it's realistic.

I'm not sure what the Rangers would want for Scherzer. Maybe Beavers or Bradfield? I believe he would need to waive his no-trade. That could be the biggest issue. We will have an opportunity to scout him first hand tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

We will see, either way I think Urias will be in another uniform before long.  I have enjoyed having him in an O's uniform and he made an impact in turning this team around but it is time for the uber talented youth to take over. 

Westburg has already taken over at third for the most part and will likely be there through the season and forward. Unless Mayo comes up.

I don’t think Urias is in any way holding Mayo back. It’s more likely Mayo’s defensive development combined with his injury. And maybe sorting out the trade deadline?

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should Kyle Hendricks be under consideration?  He is a rental and even if the Cubs are in it, they could deal him and Urias could actually be someone that could interest them as part of the deal.

His statcast page is pretty decent and in line with a lot of his career. The thing I dislike is that he doesn’t miss bats or get Ks. OTOH, he’s a GB pitcher who doesn’t allow hard contact. He would worry me in the playoffs but he does have a 3.12 ERA in the postseason, over 12 games (11 starts), so he has some experience.

His ERA is high this year and he has been killed by the homer although he has only allowed 1 homer over his last 7 starts and none on his last 5.

Could he be a “cheap” option here?  Trade Urias and a prospect or 2 like Max Wagner(some B-/C+ type prospect).  

image.thumb.jpeg.61e89b9d3a1405f2e0f5940fcd282aa5.jpeg

This looks like a worse version of Dillon Tate, whom you hate. I think I'd rather have Fedde and pay a bit more if needed.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

With a Major League that is this good combined with a farm system that is this loaded, I am not very comfortable with the idea of relying on a player to have be “gutsy” in order to be successful. I would rather just acquire a player who has the talent to be successful.

To me, it is important to make additions with a high floor in order to improve our chances. 

We tried the high risk/high reward/low cost acquisitions last year and they flopped and proved to be a net ZERO. 

I never said it was what I would do.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Except Hendricks has a career and track record of being good.

I’m not a huge Tate guy but he has a 3.64 ERA since 2020. This year he has a 3.62 ERA, 3.65 xERA, and 3.99 SIERA. His track record has been pretty good and I think he’s perfectly fine as one of the first 2 options out of the pen right now. 

• Upvote 1