The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how hitting the runner with your throw shouldn't be an error?  That hasn't been a valid way to record an out for a very long time.

Because for all we know the runner was running way inside the 'baseline' from first to second.  Or maybe he ran outside of it.  Or maybe he put his arms out trying to block a throw.  Or maybe he was just in the way and there was no clear throwing lane between first and second.

If a first baseman throws to second and the throw would have been on the bag but the runner blocked it?  That is not the first baseman's fault. 

I guess he could have top spin lobbed it over him.  Sometimes plays just happen.  Doesn't mean they are errors. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

Not sure why the guy from the A's would give out wrong info.

They quickly said that didn't happen. I'm not sure how pissed off I'd be getting a 1, 2, 3 inning on 11 pitches in a win. I certainly wouldn't label him self harming after they are saying that was not what happened.

Not sure what Ross Atkins is doing but he’s stating Bassitt won’t be traded. (That obviously can change - maybe too pot committed and wants to see things through with this group for 2025)

I find it foolish but he’s the boss.

MLBTR

Edited by KojiSplit

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

They quickly said that didn't happen. I'm not sure how pissed off I'd be getting a 1, 2, 3 inning on 11 pitches in a win. I certainly wouldn't label him self harming after they are saying that was not what happened.

That was all I had seen on the topic when I made the statement.

I can see why they would change the story but I can't see why they would report it incorrectly in the first place.

2 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Not sure what Ross Atkins is doing but he’s stating Bassitt won’t be traded. (That obviously can change - maybe too pot committed and wants to see things through with this group for 2025)

MLBTR

I googled a Blue Jays Message Board today and some of our counterparts there fear Rogers Communications butts in seats meddling.

There is so much talent in that nucleus you can't say they aren't viable for 2025 but wow that nucleus has failed a lot.

Would we do Ryan Mountcastle for Yimi Garcia?

You really do have to tip your hat to the efficiency optimization that it is conceivable on literally the day before the trade deadline it is in play that Cade Povich and Chayce McDermott start the two ends of a doubleheader for the Baltimore Orioles.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

MLBTR

This kinda sucks, because I have considered Bassitt/Garcia to be the best one-stop shopping we could do this week.

25 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

MLBTR

Atkins is the worst GM in MLB save for maybe Colorado. 

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I googled a Blue Jays Message Board today and some of our counterparts there fear Rogers Communications butts in seats meddling.

There is so much talent in that nucleus you can't say they aren't viable for 2025 but wow that nucleus has failed a lot.

Would we do Ryan Mountcastle for Yimi Garcia?

Sounds like Moreno and his reluctance to trade Ohtani despite even at the last hour the Rays offering a massive package.

If I was Atkins, I tell myself this isn’t working out and it’s time to trade everyone but Rogers communication and the millions they put in the stadium say otherwise.

Good point made by you and it makes total sense.

When I worked in sports I always had 100% control of every roster decision except for this one time. Think we were headed to Seoul in about 10 days and I gotta call from someone who handles business side of things.

”We never tell you how to put together rosters and you’re free to continue doing so after this and forever but you gotta cut _____ from the team.”

Me: wait, why? What happened? She even helped me recruit our best player (from BYU) and 1 or 2 of other top players.

”I’m sorry, you gotta cut her, I can’t give you any other details and I need you to call this number and tell this girl she made the team.” 

I called the girl who was cut, most gut wrenching call I’ve ever had to make as I had known her for 5 years. She was obviously crying and when she asked me why upper management did this I could only say I didn’t know and they gave me no explanation.

To complete this story, I bumped into her maybe 6 months later at a volleyball tournament in New York. However she wasn’t participating, she had easily gained a massive amount of weight due to depression and yeah it was very painful seeing her like that. She knew it wasn’t my call but of course it was tough for her to still talk to me.

I ended up finding out she simply was cut for pissing off an executive in an argument. 

Good news she is now happily living in Hawaii and back in shape surfing all the time.

What would it take to get Luis Castillo from the Mariners and Erick Fedde from the White Sox? Two trades that I think would solve a lot for us, and also should not cost much of our premium prospects.

The Mariners are very clearly in need of offense, and as has been discussed here, a veteran for veteran offense for pitching trade makes a lot of sense and would open up some of the roster log jam we have here.

I cant remember where I saw it posted but someone posted the Trade Value Simulation website which had Mounty and Castillo as similar values. I doubt that Seattle would take that straight up, even if they are trying to get off his contract. It would be a big investment for us financially, but it would also give us some stability in the rotation the next few years. 

Would Mountcastle for Castillo work straight up? Would Mounty and Mullins get it done? Mountcastle and another prospect? Could we include a reliever from Seattle for Mounty/Mullins/Prospect?

And for Fedde.. would Norby + another prospect work?

If we got both, we could go into the last two months of the season with Burnes/Castillo/Grayson/Fedde/Kremer. IF we add a reliever with Castillo they get inserted in, and Suarez can go to the pen as well. 

Mayo can come up to replace Mounty. Cowser can take over as the primary CF and Stowers can come up to be the backup CF.

C Adley/McCann, 1B Mayo/O'Hearn, 2B Holliday/Westburg, SS Gunnar, 3B Westburg/Urias, LF Kjerstad/Hays, CF Cowser/Stowers, RF Tony/Kjerstad

Edited by terpoh

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I bet the sellers are looking at the O's pitching and licking their chops.

Then they remember Mike Elias is in charge.  He isn’t not gonna overpay as an over reaction, some Gm’s might panic and give in but he won’t.  

• Upvote 1