The 2024 Trade Deadline

I would trade one  Holliday/Basallo/Mayo for Skubal if,

- We acquired one other SP to be a game 4 SP type. Kikuchi. One of Wagner, Horvath, or Fabian would probably be the price. 

- We acquired one of Estevez/Scott. That might cost Baumeister or DeLeon. Hopefully just Stowers. 

Sort of have to do those moves if you make a move for Skubal and push some chips in the middle. 

• Upvote 1

The Arozarena action I think clarifies some fog around Zach Eflin.

Is Taj Bradley sad this morning?     He could be AL Pitcher of the Month and just pitched his team to within 4.0 games of the Royals for the last wildcard spot.

Tampa does a great job building culture but I believe there are only so many morale sessions a high performing ballplayer can take.    Shane McClanahan on some level knows today what his future looks like.

Hopefully the rest of the league is caught up enough no fool is going to give them Glasnow and Baz for Chris Archer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does Kikuchi make his start tomorrow(today) vs the Rangers?  Gotta think all parties involved don’t want that to happen. He could be the next domino because of that. 

As a pure rental, gotta think he only will cost somewhere in the top 20-30 range at most. 

Should cost next to nothing as he statistically a lateral move. Is he better than irvin? right now probably yes, go back to April and May not so much. Since 2019 career ERA of 4.69, whip of 1.37, FIP of 4.64, and WAR of 3.0, and all of that for 79 Million. Must be nice to have a good agent, Wonder how popular he would be if he was here the last couple of years at those prices.

15 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Is the general consensus the buyers did not overpay early? We woukd have been ok with making both those deals?

I would have been thrilled with that Puk deal. They gave up one legit prospect and one non-prospect, by the looks of it. For multiple years of control of a shutdown lefty reliever. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I would have been thrilled with that Puk deal. They gave up one legit prospect and one non-prospect, by the looks of it. For multiple years of control of a shutdown lefty reliever. 

All this time I thought the market was seller friendly. Seems like two legit deals and I would take Arozerena playing in Hays role any day. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you’re underestimating De Los Santos a bit. Like we all are/were initially. 

He was only eligible for the rule 5 because that affects the foreign born players more so than the NCAA players we tend to draft. 

Even though Cleveland returned him, he’s still having a monster year for just turning 21. Arizona took a calculated risk not protecting a then 20 year old OF with a roster coming off a WS appearance. Clev as a contender was smart enough to draft a 20 year old OF, but couldn’t keep him on a contending team. 

The mid season rankings don’t really do him justice and tend to just be slotting guys up/down that were already on their lists. When the season is over he’s going to crack some top 100 lists. 

So that puts him slightly ahead of where EBJ is now. Would you trade EBJ for Puk?  That’s for everyone. Not picking on you. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you’re underestimating De Los Santos a bit. Like we all are/were initially. 

He was only eligible for the rule 5 because that affects the foreign born players more so than the NCAA players we tend to draft. 

Even though Cleveland returned him, he’s still having a monster year for just turning 21. Arizona took a calculated risk not protecting a then 20 year old OF with a roster coming off a WS appearance. Clev as a contender was smart enough to draft a 20 year old OF, but couldn’t keep him on a contending team. 

The mid season rankings don’t really do him justice and tend to just be slotting guys up/down that were already on their lists. When the season is over he’s going to crack some top 100 lists. 

So that puts him slightly ahead of where EBJ is now. Would you trade EBJ for Puk?  That’s for everyone. Not picking on you. 

Well I was saying De Los Santos was the legit prospect and Pintar was the non-prospect (22 in AA with a sub-.600 OPS). 

Would I trade EBJ for Puk? I mean.. maybe not, but that's because I think EBJ still gets you a bit more than De Los Santos simply because of the draft status and elite defense. It's close though. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

All this time I thought the market was seller friendly. Seems like two legit deals and I would take Arozerena playing in Hays role any day. 

The young outfielder they got has a lot of tools and was more of a comp or 2nd round pick coming out of high school that has put up solid numbers in A ball as a 19 year old.  We don’t really draft high school kids so not a player we have good comp on.  A lot is dependent on what the team is looking for.  The Marlins wanted very young players with higher upside.  That not something we really have at this point until the international guys move up and show progress.  

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well I was saying De Los Santos was the legit prospect and Pintar was the non-prospect (22 in AA with a sub-.600 OPS). 

Would I trade EBJ for Puk? I mean.. maybe not, but that's because I think EBJ still gets you a bit more than De Los Santos simply because of the draft status and elite defense. It's close though. 

His numbers were inflated in that league too. He is still a bat only with major strikeout concerns. 

4 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The young outfielder they got has a lot of tools and was more of a comp or 2nd round pick coming out of high school that has put up solid numbers in A ball as a 19 year old.  We don’t really draft high school kids so not a player we have good comp on.  A lot is dependent on what the team is looking for.  The Marlins wanted very young players with higher upside.  That not something we really have at this point until the international guys move up and show progress.  

Estrada or Arias?

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, where a player ranks system to system isn’t an indication they are the same talent/upside wise.

Sexondly, Seattle probably has a deeper system than the Os right now.

Maybe but that prospect sure looks like a long shot boom or bust 1B/DH Type.