The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

If Elias trades for a RP, that means he either has to DFA Irvin or option Akin. Has Elias ever DFA’d a player we still owe a 1+ million to, other than Tony Kemp?

Burch Smith could go before either of those guys. That's also assuming that Elias doesn't send a reliever back in the deal. Not that hard to figure out how to make room for a player that will help the team.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Do the Yankees have enough for Flaherty and Scott?  If not, maybe the door is opened ever so slightly for us. 

Not much left behind the big 4. “Only 4”. Fabian, Wagner, Willems. 

They reportedly don't want to trade Jones or Dominguez so I doubt it unless they part with one of them.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Were none of those pitchers available? Or were none available without giving up a Holliday or Basallo? I guess we won't know at least for right now.

But Estevez (the reliever that the Phils acquired from the Angels) or Ecreg are the type of player that we should have been looking to add to the team along with Dominguez.

It just seems like other teams are willing to pay the price that we never are.

I have seen reports that Skubal was not available and that the Giants were unwilling to pay any of Snell's option. Sounds like they were not seriously open to trading him. If they move him, then we can compare the return to what we would have needed to pay.

Not sure what we would have needed to pay to beat those Estevez and Erceg offers. Looks like both teams wanted pitching back and we may not even have guys they were interested in. I'm still holding out hope we get a bullpen arm.

Been seeing assumptions by pundits that the Marlins absolutely must move Scott before the deadline and that interested teams are just standing pat on their best offer and hoping they win the lottery instead of bidding up the price against each other...

1 minute ago, bluedog said:

Burch Smith could go before either of those guys. That's also assuming that Elias doesn't send a reliever back in the deal. Not that hard to figure out how to make room for a player that will help the team.

That’s with Smith already in the minors. Current 13 man pitching staff once Rogers is added,

5 - Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer

8 - Kimbrel, Cano*, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez, Perez, Akin*, Irvin

* = optionable 

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

They reportedly don't want to trade Jones or Dominguez so I doubt it unless they part with one of them.

We could possibly have Wagner, Fabian, + on the table for Scott and they are shopping that till 6pm. 

That + could be Willems or Povich/Deleon. 

I would do those deals at this point. We come out of the deadline with an “only four” “OF”. Haha. Pun intended. 

O’s OF - Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, and EBJ. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Elias trades for a RP, that means he either has to DFA Irvin or option Akin. Has Elias ever DFA’d a player we still owe a 1+ million to, other than Tony Kemp?

Don’t laugh but I could see a team be willing to pick Irvin up if the deal is good enough. 

I’m not implying he is real valuable but a bad team may want a guy with 2 years team control as a cheap starter. All about what prospects they get back. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s with Smith already in the minors. Current 13 man pitching staff once Rogers is added,

* = optionable 

I don’t see the point/value in having both Irvin and Suarez in the pen. If you can get a backend guy, you do it. Keep one of them as the long man.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do the Yankees have enough for Flaherty and Scott?  If not, maybe the door is opened ever so slightly for us. 

Not much left behind the big 4. “Only 4”. Fabian, Wagner, Willems. 

If we are still in on Flaherty, would we need to flip Rogers or trade Kremer? 

I feel like if we had been close on Scott he would have been included in the Rogers deal. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

* = optionable 

Good catch. Then the O's would have to ship out someone from the big league squad. Irvin or Suarez I'd assume since I don't see any of the other guys being moved.