The 2024 Trade Deadline

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It is crazy to think - the Orioles could in theory trade or nontender ALL of their arbitration eligible position players next year (except Adley, who will be Arb1) and field one of the best groups of position players in the game.

C Rutschman

1B Mayo

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

LF Stowers

CF Cowser

RF Kjerstad

DH Norby (eventually Basallo)

Basically the position player half of a playoff team for the league minimum.

Obviously, they won’t jettison all of the vets, but it just underscores the financial flexibility. It’s a shame it’s a pretty underwhelming SP free agent class but they should have plenty of ability to add payroll to bring in SPs.

Would we give the savings to Burnes?  I sure as hell hope so. 

9 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It is crazy to think - the Orioles could in theory trade or nontender ALL of their arbitration eligible position players next year (except Adley, who will be Arb1) and field one of the best groups of position players in the game.

C Rutschman

1B Mayo

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

LF Stowers

CF Cowser

RF Kjerstad

DH Norby (eventually Basallo)

Basically the position player half of a playoff team for the league minimum.

Obviously, they won’t jettison all of the vets, but it just underscores the financial flexibility. It’s a shame it’s a pretty underwhelming SP free agent class but they should have plenty of ability to add payroll to bring in SPs.

My expectation is 2 players you have listed there will be gone.  The Os will non tender or trade Hays and trade Mounty.  OHearn will have his option picked up unless he really has a bad second half.

Basallo up by midseason.

My 2 big questions marks are Mullins and Santander.  

I have said I think they will offer Santander a 2-3 year deal. I personally think that’s a mistake. Mullins is really dependent upon how he ends the years. He could end up with Hays but if he hits well enough and the defense holds strong, I think they bring him back.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You mean our beloved Rubenstein isn’t? Throwing t shirts is cool and everything but he needs to throw that paper. 

No I meant Elias. I think if Rubenstein said do what you want that Elias wouldn’t do it…and he would be correct.

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cal Quantrill isn't 'nothing'.  I'd be happy to acquire him.  Otherwise I agree.

To do what though?

Hes no better than our 4th starter. His peripherals and statcast numbers are ugly. Why give him innings and give up assets?

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My expectation is 2 players you have listed there will be gone.  The Os will non tender or trade Hays and trade Mounty.  OHearn will have his option picked up unless he really has a bad second half.

Basallo up by midseason.

I have said I think they will offer Santander a 2-3 year deal. I personally think that’s a mistake. Mullins is really dependent upon how he ends the years. He could end up with Hays but if he hits well enough and the defense holds strong, I think they bring him back.

OK thats fair but if youre getting rid oy both those guys i would definitely want Santander back. I dont know about 3 years but ok, if not QO. IF hes not here youre going to miss his bat

Just now, Safelykept said:

OK thats fair but if youre getting rid oy both those guys i would definitely want Santander back. I dont know about 3 years but ok, if not QO. IF hes not here youre going to miss his bat

I don’t think that’s true but I get why some would think it.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

With Glass(now) going on the IL today and Yamamoto possibly done for the season, I expect the Dodgers are going to be in on anyone we might be in on.

Agree, but when does the cost of pitching come down with all of this attrition

Agree, but when does the cost of pitching come down with all of this attrition

This is a sellers market with all the teams still chasing wild cards. I doubt it comes down.

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

With Glass(now) going on the IL today and Yamamoto possibly done for the season, I expect the Dodgers are going to be in on anyone we might be in on.

But what are they going to trade?

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

This is a sellers market with all the teams still chasing wild cards. I doubt it comes down.

I doubt it too, but its the reason I dont want to go after big names with big prospect capitol. With our luck bring somebody like Skubal and if something wrong by the end of August. Shore up the BP. its cheaper.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Basallo up by midseason.

Basallo being up by mid-season feels like a stretch.  You may want that, but I don't think you'll see it.  It's kind of absurd to think they will move him that quickly, when he's not even in Norfolk yet.