The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Seattle dream is just a little far fetched. What contender trades pitching?  What contender trades bats that help their current team in any capacity, even if it’s only against LHP?  Is anyone that Seattle would even entertain trading a better option for game 3 than Scherzer, Kikuchi, or Fedde?

Seattle lines up well in the offseason though. 

The Blue Jays and Orioles will trade with someone else before they trade with each other.

Scherzer coming off an injury at 39 year old is likely a Yankee if the Rangers trade him.

Fredde is no better than Albert  Suarez.

Bryce Miller is 25 and throws 95 mph.  Woo back and moves into the 4th spot.  Pcvich into the 5th.   They need the offense that Hays, Norby and Stowers can provide.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Blue Jays and Orioles will trade with someone else before they trade with each other.

Scherzer coming off an injury at 39 year old is likely a Yankee if the Rangers trade him.

Bryce Miller is 25 and throws 95 mph.  Woo back and moves into the 4th spot.  Pcvich into the 5th.   They need the offense that Hays, Norby and Stowers can provide.

Saying Fedde is no better than Suarez is just a horrible opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If these things are true, trade them Santander, who is a real upgrade for them and keep those guys instead.

O's are not trading Santander in a pennant race and shouldn't.   Hays who can hit 20 homers and is a good everyday left fielder when healthy.  He has a year and a half left before FA.  But Kjerstad who Hyde is playing in LF will hit 30+ homers.  That is why Hays is available.

Edited by wildcard

Seattle could trade Woo or Miller for a young hitter with a similar amount of control, as long as they get a depth 5th starter back. So in theory the Orioles make sense because they could include Irvin and have a lot of young hitters. 

The problem is the Orioles don’t have a controllable young hitter that is roughly equivalent with Miller or Woo in value. The closest is Kjerstad, but I still think Kjerstad is more valuable and the Orioles turn down a 1:1 with Kjerstad (even ignoring Irvin).

And Norby and Stowers are not even close to being as valuable as Miller or Woo. Even by adding in some collection of vet hitters from the Santander/Mullins/Hays/Mountcastle/O’Hearn group. I don’t think Seattle deals Miller or Woo without getting back a headliner comparable hitter and I don’t think the Orioles have one that matches.

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Seattle could trade Woo or Miller for a young hitter with a similar amount of control, as long as they get a depth 5th starter back. So in theory the Orioles make sense because they could include Irvin and have a lot of young hitters. 

The problem is the Orioles don’t have a controllable young hitter that is roughly equivalent with Miller or Woo in value. The closest is Kjerstad, but I still think Kjerstad is more valuable and the Orioles turn down a 1:1 with Kjerstad (even ignoring Irvin).

And Norby and Stowers are not even close to being as valuable as Miller or Woo. Even by adding in some collection of vet hitters from the Santander/Mullins/Hays/Mountcastle/O’Hearn group. I don’t think Seattle deals Miller or Woo without getting back a headliner comparable hitter and I don’t think the Orioles have one that matches.

Have you looked at the Mariners offensive stats?   Hays, Norby and Stowers could lead that team in hitting.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Any GM would be stupid not to deal with the team where they can get the best deal.

Why is he anymore likely to be traded to New York? 

On Fedde…. I’m not so sure 

I have no confidence in Elias adding multiple players in a deal. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Woo has been in and out of the rotation all year because of injury.  He’s a luxury if he stays healthy but the can’t count on it.

Bryce Miller is 25, throws 95.  You probably should have stopped there.

Hays is a career .750 OPS.

Stowers is a career .635 OPS currently hitting .234.

Norby is having a nice year but striking out a lot.  His position is iffy.  You have very little idea if he’ll need time to adjust or even how good he’ll be when ML pitchers find out why he’s striking out so much in AAA.

Mariners can find offense for prospects from the Marlins (Chisholm), A’s (Rooker), the Angels, Rockies, and whoever else without taking away from the current team.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's are not trading Santander in a pennant race and shouldn't.   Hays who can hit 20 homers and is a good everyday left fielder when healthy.  He has a year and a half left before FA.  But Kjerstad who Hyde is playing in LF will hit 30+ homers.  That is why Hays is available.

If Kjerstad will hit 30 homers and Hays is going to hit 20 and you have Cowser, OHearn and Mullins, you don't need Santander especially if he nets you a long term rotation piece.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You got nothing but your opinion on that.   Their stats are similar.

Fedde 2.4 FWAR

Suarez 1.2 FWAR

Partly because Suarez averages 5 innings per start and Fedde a hair under 6.   That’s a big difference.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You got nothing but your opinion on that.   Their stats are similar.

LOL no they aren't. Fedde has way better peripherals and statcast numbers and he should be able to throw a bunch of innings without fear of falling off because of an innings count.

Now, that isn't to say Fedde isn't a risk because he is however, hes way better than Suarez and a far better bet.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Any GM would be stupid not to deal with the team where they can get the best deal.

Why is he anymore likely to be traded to New York? 

On Fedde…. I’m not so sure 

I have no confidence in Elias adding multiple players in a deal. 

Elias said that Tampa would not trade Glasnow to the O's or anyone in the Division.    He seemed to say that is the norm in the AL EAST.  Call it stupid if you want but that is what Elias is dealing with.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fedde 2.4 FWAR

Suarez 1.2 FWAR

Partly because Suarez averages 5 innings per start and Fedde a hair under 6.   That’s a big difference.

Fedde also has a track record of pitching 120+ innings a season where Suarez was out of MLB for the last seven years. Maybe Fedde reverts back to his pre-2024 numbers, but Suarez has no track record. Suarez has been a huge surprise, but he could fade in the second half as his innings pitched accumulate.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Kjerstad will hit 30 homers and Hays is going to hit 20 and you have Cowser, OHearn and Mullins, you don't need Santander especially if he nets you a long term rotation piece.

You know better than that.   Cowser is having trouble hitting in the MLB.  Mullins is on the team for defense and will be lucky to have a 721 OPS this year.   

Santander will hit 30 this year in a pennant race.   Kjerstad will hit 30+ in the future.  The O's are trying to win this year.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

LOL no they aren't. Fedde has way better peripherals and statcast numbers and he should be able to throw a bunch of innings without fear of falling off because of an innings count.

Now, that isn't to say Fedde isn't a risk because he is however, hes way better than Suarez and a far better bet.

Yea.  I've never been a Fedde fan but a quick glance at their statcast pages side by side is pretty eye opening.  Especially the 106ip/94k vs. 65ip/51k.  I think Suarez could thrive in the bullpen.  l don't think he's the shut down guy we need, but he's a significant upgrade over our low leverage BP arms and can cover a bunch of innings if need be.  I guess I'm slightly intrigued by Fedde now after going through is savant #s.