The 2024 Trade Deadline

I wouldn't trade for Eric Fedde now, but would be a good target closer to the deadline if their starting pitching depth looks suspect.   

Kopech would be a good setup arm to get, but the O's top priority has to be an established, top-tier closer.   Kopech doesn't qualify as that, and I'm not sure Kenley Jansen qualifies any more.  Helsley would definitely qualify but the Cardinals look more likely to be buyers than sellers at the deadline.  Mason Miller would take a king's ransom but he might be worth it.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I wouldn't trade for Eric Fedde now, but would be a good target closer to the deadline if their starting pitching depth looks suspect.   

Kopech would be a good setup arm to get, but the O's top priority has to be an established, top-tier closer.   Kopech doesn't qualify as that, and I'm not sure Kenley Jansen qualifies any more.  Helsley would definitely qualify but the Cardinals look more likely to be buyers than sellers at the deadline.  Mason Miller would take a king's ransom but he might be worth it.  

If they’re sticking with Kimbrel as the closer it almost makes more sense to get 2 strong set up guys to strengthen the bridge to the 9th (and fill in for closing duties as needed too). 

Posted this in another thread, but Hunter Harvey would be a great add because he has no discernible splits (unlike the other RH leverage guys, Cano and Webb). Other than that, Fernando Cruz, Yimi Garcia, and Erceg would also be good adds. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't think I'd target Fedde.  He's pitching well above prior norms (posting mid-5 ERA's in 2021 & 2022) thus far this season, and while his ERA is 2.80, his FIP is a run higher at 3.87.  He did spend last year in Korea, so it's possible he's picked up something new, but I'd tend to think that's not likely.

As far as Kopech, Jansen, Helsley and Miller, I agree.  I will say that Mason Miller would be a huge risk based on his spending four months last year on the injured list with an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in his right elbow.  That is a potential TJ surgery waiting to happen.  I have my doubts Elias would take such risk.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Some big trades have already happened as well as some small ones, and while most trades occur just before the deadline it wouldn't surprise me to see Elias deal sooner rather than later.  

It would be better to get started early. The Rangers did last season (beginning with their bullpen) and it contributed to a World Series win.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

2 of Millers last 4 appearances have......not been good.  I would not be trading a kings ransom for him.

Maybe a Prince's ransom.

4 runs, 4 walks, and 4 hits allowed in 2 separate innings. 

May 30 @TB Reg - 2.0  1 2 1 3 4 1 2.08 0.88 .149
May 28 @TB Reg SV 1.0 1 0 0 1 2 0 1.88 0.79 .148
May 25 HOU Reg SV 1.0 0 0 0 0 3 0 1.96 0.74 .143
May 23 COL Reg - 1.2  3  5  3 1 1 0 2.05 0.77 .149
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

If they’re sticking with Kimbrel as the closer it almost makes more sense to get 2 strong set up guys to strengthen the bridge to the 9th (and fill in for closing duties as needed too). 

Posted this in another thread, but Hunter Harvey would be a great add because he has no discernible splits (unlike the other RH leverage guys, Cano and Webb). Other than that, Fernando Cruz, Yimi Garcia, and Erceg would also be good adds. 

Harvey I agree.  He would be a perfect target and not cost a ton.

13 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Agreed.  Not expecting it, but it would be nice.  The White Sox, Angels, A's, Rockies, and Marlins all are most certainly ready to deal.  It's too soon to say with the Reds and Mets.

I think we should be expecting Elias to reinforce the pen. We have the resources, it shouldn’t take a fortune to get a couple of solid RPs, and we might never be better primed for a run at the WS.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Agreed.  Not expecting it, but it would be nice.  The White Sox, Angels, A's, Rockies, and Marlins all are most certainly ready to deal.  It's too soon to say with the Reds and Mets.

I’d target a team like Tampa, they usually are playing the long game, are last in the division, and while they have a shot at the 3rd WC their run differential and the fact that they are in a clump of 7 teams they and the Jays have the worst RDs. In fact, the RA 277 (worst of the group) RS 244 (2nd worst). 

Maybe they say no but they have Jason Adams and Garrett Cleavinger that are mid 30 RPs that they’d probably be willing to get some return on.

Edited by Roll Tide

Posted (edited)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/marlins-trade-rumors-tanner-scott-closer.html

By Steve Adams | May 31, 2024 at 11:14am CDT

The Marlins’ awful start to the season and uncommonly early trade of star infielder Luis Arraez served as clear indicators of the direction they’ll take as this summer’s trade deadline approaches, and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports this morning that teams have already been inquiring on closer Tanner Scott.

Given the state of the Marlins, it shouldn’t come as a surprise if and when virtually any player on the roster is discussed as a potential trade candidate. Nevertheless, it’s somewhat notable that clubs have already been gauging the asking price on Scott. That’s especially true since the left-hander stands as the Marlins’ most logical and likeliest trade candidate. He’s a free agent at season’s end and earning a notable (by Miami’s standards) $5.7MM salary. It’d be a shock if the Marlins didn’t trade him at some point in the next two months.

Scott was one of the best relievers in all of baseball in 2023, pitching to a 2.31 ERA with a huge 33.9% strikeout rate. The now-29-year-old southpaw had battled alarming command troubles throughout his career but in ’23 looked to have put them in the rearview mirror. Scott walked hitters at a lower-than-average 7.8% clip — the first season of his career with a walk rate under 11.6%. Improved command, paired with a blazing heater (96.9 mph average) and wipeout slider made Scott virtually automatic. He converted 90% of the time in a save situation, picking up a dozen saves and 24 holds with only four blown saves.

This season has been more of a mixed bag. Scott’s 1.57 ERA is pristine, but his longstanding command problems have returned. He’s walked 17.8% of his opponents this year, making that microscopic ERA something of a mirage. That said, much of Scott’s trouble in that area occurred early in the season. The lefty walked nine hitters through his first 5 2/3 innings but has walked only nine men since that time — in a span of 17 1/3 frames. Things have been even better of late; Scott has just one walk in his past six innings. The southpaw’s strikeout rate is still down this season, sitting at a roughly average 22.8%, but he’s inducing grounders at a hefty 54.5% clip and his Scott’s fastball remains as potent as ever.

The Marlins' Tanner Scott is an interesting guy.  It's a shame we couldn't harness his ability while he was here.  If our scouts feel that he'd be an asset, I'd be okay with adding him.  Yet, the walks, as we all experienced, are always a concern.

Edited by Greg Pappas

Rosenthal and others discussing players that make sense for trade possibilities.

Many interesting names, including Jesus Lazardo, Pete Alonso, Vladimir Guerrero Jr, Bichette Jr, and Tyler O'Neill.