The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Things Elias did this deadline,

- Kept the big 3

- Got two SP

- Got two RP

- Got a LH SP

- Enters next season with a rotation of Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer, Suarez with Povich/McDermort as depth. 

- Eloy is a replacement option for Santa in 25’. 

- Slater is a direct replacement for Hays

- Soto was a two time all star closer

- Got SS depth for AAA

- Pache is a RH CF to Platoon with Mullins/Cowser

- if Burnes and/or Santa leave we get 1st rd comp picks.

He got us a bullpen. Role players for the postseason. Starters. Oh and everyone acquired we can bring back next year other than Slater. 

Elias deserves a can of coke. 

I would’ve liked a higher impact reliever but really no complaints with the pieces he added. The pen and rotation are clearly better. 

Only thing I don’t get is that only 2 of Kierstad/Pache/Slater/Jimenez can coexist on the roster. 

It would be very helpful if somebody created a thread summarizing the moves we made today. A list of additions and subtractions, a projected 26 man roster, and best guesses at roster moves to get us from today until all of the new players have joined us.

A lazy request I know, but something that I don’t have the time or patience to sit down and hammer out on my own.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

It would be very helpful if somebody created a thread summarizing the moves we made today. A list of additions and subtractions, a projected 26 man roster, and best guesses at roster moves to get us from today until all of the new players have joined us.

A lazy request I know, but something that I don’t have the time or patience to sit down and hammer out on my own.

Agreed, my head is spinning after today. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do it this evening. 

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

Yeah that really surprised me.  I figured he had some trade value.

I’m sure he does. We’re going to get a very special PTBNL for him.

And I’m not being sarcastic. When a guy is almost free, it’s surprising how much value he has.

10 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

But also I’m guessing a few more guys are gonna be out the door to accommodate Soto/Slater/Eloy.

It's going to take some time for my eyes not to read his name as ElRoy.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’m sure he does. We’re going to get a very special PTBNL for him.

And I’m not being sarcastic. When a guy is almost free, it’s surprising how much value he has.

Can teams still trade for a DFA player after the deadline?  Don't know the rule.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Can teams still trade for a DFA player after the deadline?  Don't know the rule.

I would think so, just now the player has to pass through waivers, correct?

I think someone referred to that as Elias playing 4-D chess. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Os4days said:

I said after the Marlins series that Elias needed to shake things up as there seemed to be a stagnant feeling about the team at least to me. The team almost seemed to be somewhat coasting. Change can be a good thing. Now it’s up to Hyde to get the most out of all these new parts. 

Norby and Stowers are simply prospects that have not yet proven to be guaranteed studs in the bigs.  I understand there’s always a risk we may regret them leaving but I highly doubt it. 

For those complaining about giving up what we did for Rogers, you can put this on Elias. We could have got more than Burnes before the start of the season but instead he gambled that Means, Bradish and Wells would stay healthy all year!  Big mistake. 

John Angelos didn't give him any money to get more before the season to begin.  It's almost certain that Elias didn't have the authority to acquire anyone longer than for the 2024 season as well.  The sale didn't close until one day before Opening Day.  Under the circumstances, Elias did remarkably well.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

John Angelos didn't give him any money to get more before the season to begin.  It's almost certain that Elias didn't have the authority to acquire anyone longer than for the 2024 season as well.  The sale didn't close until one day before Opening Day.  Under the circumstances, Elias did remarkably well.

He literally plugged all our holes for this year and next. The only deals people wish happened were players that weren’t even traded. So were they even available?  

20 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The amount of terrible takes in this and other threads is astounding. How anyone can look at adding two SP and two RP - all badly needed - and only subtracting basically Hays from the ML roster, and then say we haven’t improved?  I mean what are you even looking at if that’s your take?  You really wanted to keep Baker and Irvin in the BP?  Povich and Suárez in the rotation?  Huh?

Yep, the only way this could have been better in the short term would be to sacrifice one of our top three prospects or young MLer like Kjerstad or Westburg. It sounds like the ace level pitchers weren't even available and I'm glad we didn't blow a top prospect on a reliever. 

20 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Hays was best friends and former roommates with Mullins. They had been together since the beginning, and I imagine he was like a mentor to some of the younger players too.

Stowers was in a clique and best friends with guys like Rutschman, Gunnar, Mountcastle, and a few others. They were basically all a unit with 3 of them having been in the same draft class and coming up together, and sharing rooms/living together. The team gelled.

There are certain players who are like peanut butter and jelly together, and when you add their positive vibes to the rest of the clubhouse with other buds, altogether it creates a very good positive environment to compete with confidence as a team. They're always able to see things happening in the game and comfortable enough with one another trust each other enough to recommend any necessary adjustments.

Chemistry is one of the most overrated cliché things in baseball.   Talent and ability  win games,  not being best friends or building Legos together.   Yeah those are nice stories and good fluff articles to write and talk about when things are slow.   But it doesn't win many games.   Team chemistry should be just about the last consideration or thing to worry about when deciding to trade, acquire, sign, etc a player.  There are a few exceptions with real clubhouse cancers and issues, but by and large it's not really an issue.