The 2024 Trade Deadline

Listening to Mike Elias during the 5th inning and he seems pretty pleased about what they were able to accomplish at the deadline. 

He said that that they had eyes on the 2 Phillies relief pitchers for a couple of years. 

26 man roster once the dust settles. It seems like a lot, but here is what I think…

5 - Burnes*, Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer

8 - Kimbrel^, Cano, Dominguez^, Webb, Suarez, Soto, Perez, Akin

9 - Lineup vs RHP

1. Cowser LF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa* RF S

5. O’Hearn^ DH L

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

4 - Bench - McCann*, Urias, Pache, Jimenez^

DFA - Irvin, Slater*, Vavra(possibly)

AAA - Kjerstad, Hunt, Livan Soto, Burch Smith

* = unrestricted FA at the end of this year.
^ = team option on 2025 contract 

Why we got Slater?  We needed Soto for SS depth in AAA. So we essentially bought Slater for that. He mashes LHP in his career and could literally just stay in AAA until the playoffs. Deep depth. FA at seasons end. We’re hoping he passes through waivers. 

Why we got Jimenez?  He’s a Hays replacement this year. He’s a cost controlled replacement for Santander next year. We needed OF depth after trading away Stowers. Sucks Kjerstad is down for him, but we are riding with lefties Cowser and Mullins for defense. Jimenez is a platoon RH for LF. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Phillies bullpen just blew a 3 run lead. They’re regretting those trades already. 

Hays just singled to tie it up in the 11th.  I just love baseball.

Baltimore Orioles- Other Winners 

The Orioles didn't trade as much prospect value -- by my measures, to be clear -- as San Diego, but this was the most serious culling of Baltimore's accumulated talent base we've seen yet. No team added as much present value, though that value is spread across eight new Orioles. The pieces were moving so fast it wasn't until after the deadline passed that I began to see the revamped Orioles roster in a holistic way.

I'm seeing a much more dynamic one-to-five rotation, with newcomers Zach Eflin and Trevor Rogers joining Grayson Rodriguez, Corbin Burnes and Dean Kremer. I'm seeing a deeper and filthier bullpen with Seranthony Dominguez and Gregory Soto -- a surprising last-minute addition -- now part of the crew behind Craig Kimbreland Yennier Cano.

And I'm seeing a potential first-class answer to the Orioles' need for a righty bat in Eloy Jimenez. Alas, Baltimore needs to win now and Jimenez has not been a win-now player in 2024. Injuries, as usual, have been a problem, but when he has played, Jimenez has a .642 OPS over 65 games. He hasn't homered since May 14 -- a span of 36 games.

But Jimenez is going from a team that resembles the 1899 Cleveland Spiders to one with legit aspirations of winning the World Series. Perhaps the change will spark something.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40680706/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-reaction-biggest-winners-losers

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

26 man roster once the dust settles. It seems like a lot, but here is what I think…

9 - Lineup vs RHP

1. Cowser LF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa* RF S

5. O’Hearn^ DH L

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

Why we got Slater?  We needed Soto for SS depth in AAA. So we essentially bought Slater for that. He mashes LHP in his career and could literally just stay in AAA until the playoffs. Deep depth. FA at seasons end. We’re hoping he passes through waivers. 

Why we got Jimenez?  He’s a Hays replacement this year. He’s a cost controlled replacement for Santander next year. We needed OF depth after trading away Stowers. Sucks Kjerstad is down for him, but we are riding with lefties Cowser and Mullins for defense. Jimenez is a platoon RH for LF. 

Jimenez has a $16M option. I can't imagine we are picking that up unless he does some kind of Nelson Cruz impersonation in the next two months. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

9 - Lineup vs RHP

1. Cowser LF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa* RF S

5. O’Hearn^ DH L

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

Jimenez is supposedly almost a DH only.  I assume he could play RF in a pinch.  I would think putting him in Camden Yards LF would be a disaster.  Comfirmation from those who are more familiar with the WS?

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Jimenez is supposedly almost a DH only.  I assume he could play RF in a pinch.  I would think putting him in Camden Yards LF would be a disaster.  Comfirmation from those who are more familiar with the WS?

Looking at Jimenez's Fangraphs page he should never play left field at OPACY. Kjerstad would look like a gold glover by comparison.