The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/rays-designate-chris-devenski-for-assignment.html

Rays Designate Chris Devenski For Assignment.  He could be a bullpen piece for us.  He was good last year!

Devenski was good with the Rays in just nine appearances... so small sample size.  Overall, he was not good, and hasn't been good since 2017.  He was released last year by the Angels after his 5.08 ERA stint with them.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

What would it take to get Danny Jansen? McCann has been an offensive zero and is on pace for 220 ABs. A solid backup catcher would really help on those nights when Adley is DHing. 

Not sure to be honest. Nothing too much. 

I haven’t studied other teams need at C enough. If somebody gets hurt his value goes up some. 

Mitch Keller and Logan Webb are going to cost a ton. Webb tremendously more so, he's a better pitcher. That said, they both have 4.5+ years left on their contracts. They both have reasonable enough contracts (Keller cheaper, though).

I posted this in a different thread, but the asking price for a Logan Webb is going to look a lot like the Juan Soto trade, maybe not as ostentatious in returns since Soto was the best player in the league and super young, but he did have years left on his contract (2.5+).

That means they're going to want one of Holliday/Basallo + Mayo + 2 others is my gut. Keller would probably require similar quantity, but maybe not a Holliday/Basallo caliber player as a starter, but certainly Mayo + Norby (or similar ranked player) + others.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Mariners need offense, we need pitching, and both teams want to win this year.  Would you do Jordan Westburg for Bryan Woo or Logan Gilbert?   Gilbert is farther along in his service clock than Westburg so I would insist on getting a prospect back as well.   Mayo steps into the lineup at 3B.  

Woo is injured.

Again, the IL is preventing us from maybe 50% of the guys we would normally be targeting. Tough luck. 

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Mariners need offense, we need pitching, and both teams want to win this year.  Would you do Jordan Westburg for Bryan Woo or Logan Gilbert?   Gilbert is farther along in his service clock than Westburg so I would insist on getting a prospect back as well.   Mayo steps into the lineup at 3B.  

No

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You don't think that he would benefit from pitching here? Our left field is about as pitcher friendly as they come.

They'd both benefit a ton here. 

Ballpark park factor (the more under 100 the better for pitchers):

• OPACY: 89
  • PNC Park: 99
  • Oracle Park: 89

They're both righties, so lefties would be a nuisance, but the big time RHH are going to have trouble here. 

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Gilbert isn't a FA until 2028. So 3.5 years, but he's making peanuts compared to Webb and Keller. 

I'd love Gilbert. But there's no way in hell they're trading Gilbert. They're a contender. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

They'd both benefit a ton here. 

Ballpark park factor (the more under 100 the better for pitchers):

• OPACY: 89
  • PNC Park: 99
  • Oracle Park: 89

They're both righties, so lefties would be a nuisance, but the big time RHH are going to have trouble here. 

I'm curious as to what informs your opinion regarding the splits?

I readily admit that I don't watch a lot of Pirates games. But I see Keller having better numbers this season against lefties than righties. And Webb is pretty effective against both, but admittedly better against righties.

Just from a quick peek at their numbers, I don't see lefties being any sort of nuisance for either this year.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm curious as to what informs your opinion regarding the splits?

I readily admit that I don't watch a lot of Pirates games. But I see Keller having better numbers this season against lefties than righties. And Webb is pretty effective against both, but admittedly better against righties.

Just from a quick peek at their numbers, I don't see lefties being any sort of nuisance for either this year.

Not specifically related to them. Just saying that RF is not much of a hindrance for lefties here vs. say righties and Waltimore. 

Edited by LookitsPuck