How many RBI's has batting leadoff cost Gunnar?

Natty

I think batting #2 would be perfect for Gunnar. It still gives him alot of ABs, let's him use his baserunning talent, but doesn't let his power to go to waste because there would be someone batting in front of him who can get on base.

Plus it fits his number and he's been a #2 hitter most of his baseball life before turning Pro.

If Gunnar bats #2 it leave Rutschman in a difficult decision because he's a guy who gets on base alot, but he doesn't have leadoff speed to steal bases. Plus you don't want your catcher struggling with puting his equipment on and off frequently in time.

I think Gunnar 2 and Adley 3 would be a good combo. Maybe Mountcastle or Santander at #4 (and the other at 5.) 

O'Hearn would make a good #5 or #6 hitter. He hasn't been as consistent in recent ABs. But he's still good and should be a solid option for middle of the order. 

I keep thinking Jordan Westburg might be good in front of Gunnar with Westburg batting leadoff. We've seen it occasionally but not enough sample size to know if it would be effective in scoring more runs.

4 hours ago, Natty said:

Does anyone else remember the year Brady Anderson hit 50 HR, Davey Johnson started batting him 4th instead of leadoff.

Nope, because it never happened.  Brady led off 102 games, batted 2nd in 43 times, and pinch hit in the 7/8/9 spots in 4 games.   He never batted lower than 2nd in a game he started that year.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, now said:

And is it fair to say 10-15 runs equates to about 1 to 1.5 wins? (Again, that's in a worst-order scenario.)

Yes, I think it's fair to say that if you sat down every day and tried to design the least-logical lineup you could think of and used that lineup for each and every game, over the course of a full season that might cost you as much as 1-2 wins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, I think it's fair to say that if you sat down every day and tried to design the least-logical lineup you could think of and used that lineup for each and every game, over the course of a full season that might cost you as much as 1-2 wins.

This doesn't seem right.  Just by virtue of PAs you can logically cover 15 offensive runs.  If you bat Gunnar 9th he's going to get about 115 fewer PAs than if he were to bat first.  He's been worth around 22 runs above average in 258 PAs, so in 115 PAs that's around 10 runs worth.  Compare that to Cedric Mullins, who's been worth around -8 offensive runs in 179 PAs, or -5 runs scaled to 115 ABs.  Just by putting your worst hitter first and best hitter 9th you're already losing 15 runs by virtue of playing time.

My recollection is that the worst possible batting order is closer to 30-35 runs over a full season.

11 hours ago, Hallas said:

This doesn't seem right.  Just by virtue of PAs you can logically cover 15 offensive runs.  If you bat Gunnar 9th he's going to get about 115 fewer PAs than if he were to bat first.  He's been worth around 22 runs above average in 258 PAs, so in 115 PAs that's around 10 runs worth.  Compare that to Cedric Mullins, who's been worth around -8 offensive runs in 179 PAs, or -5 runs scaled to 115 ABs.  Just by putting your worst hitter first and best hitter 9th you're already losing 15 runs by virtue of playing time.

My recollection is that the worst possible batting order is closer to 30-35 runs over a full season.

You're probably right, using the least-logical lineup possible in each and every game would cost you more like 2-3 wins.Especially if it's a non-DH league and you're constantly giving the pitchers the most PAs.