Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

Interesting that Norby is getting the start right away. Could this be a change in philosophy by the Orioles? Urias is 0-for-5 with 4 Ks and two walks against Gausman so maybe has contributed to Norby getting the start. Either way, glad to see it.

I don't fault Elias for signing Vieira.   He likes his arm but know he has control problems.    Now  Elias will try to get him through waivers to Norfolk where they can work with him to improve.  

Just have to see how it goes.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting that Norby is getting the start right away. Could this be a change in philosophy by the Orioles? Urias is 0-for-5 with 4 Ks and two walks against Gausman so maybe has contributed to Norby getting the start. Either way, glad to see it.

I'm going to assume for now it's mainly about Urias' SSS numbers against Gausman.

That said, you might as well see what he looks like in a ML setting and it doesn't hurt for scouts to see him ahead of the trade deadline. 

17 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m going to say hit like Brandon Phillips with less D.

I'd say Norby is more like early career Jeff Kent prior to his, let's say sudden bump in power in the late 90s and early 2000s after the age of 29 years old, except with worse defense. Kent's 1992-1996 slash line of .274/.327/.450/.777 seems about where I would expect him to settle into when it's all said and done. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting that Norby is getting the start right away. Could this be a change in philosophy by the Orioles?  

Not buying it.  They'll play him today, maybe tomorrow, then give him the Stowers/Kjerstad treatment.  

Unless he busts out with a huge game or something.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not buying it.  They'll play him today, maybe tomorrow, then give him the Stowers/Kjerstad treatment.  

Probably only playing today because Urias fouled a ball off his foot yesterday, lol. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will remain skeptical myself until proven otherwise. Norby is definitely on par with Stowers as a prospect and we've seen how Stowers is used. Kjerstad is a better prospect than both. 

The thing he has going for him is Urias has been pretty awful this year at the plate.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Probably only playing today because Urias fouled a ball off his foot yesterday, lol. 

Honestly, I forgot about that. That could explain Norby getting the start.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I will remain skeptical myself until proven otherwise. Norby is definitely on par with Stowers as a prospect and we've seen how Stowers is used. Kjerstad is a better prospect than both. 

The thing he has going for him is Urias has been pretty awful this year at the plate.

Yeah, I am skeptical, too.  I expect Norby to go back down after Mateo's head clears up.  This'll be short lived.

I wouldn't be surprised if Norby starts a lot. I think the comparison of Norby to Stowers/Cowser/Kjerstad is maybe not the most relevant one-- the question is the deference they'll give Urias vs the deference they give Hays/Mullins/Santander/Mountcastle/O'Hearn.