Connor Norby 2024

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

On one hand I want to say he just doesn’t have anywhere to play, on the other hand…he’s playing because of injuries/ineffectiveness of other players so while he seems buried in the depth chart and we’re barely in June and that depth is being utilized. 

I’ve been writing him off as a sure thing to be traded and never putting on an Orioles uniform. I’m reassessing that a little considering he hits right handed and I’m happy that Holliday wasn’t called back up for reasons of positional need rather than he’s actually ready. 

I still feel like he's a guy you can get into the lineup a few times per week in some capacity.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think a more relaxed Norby tags one of those Gausman meatballs for at least a base hit. He fouled some off, and chased some out of the zone. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

His swing looks a little long.  Probably why he had so many K’s but good power at Norfolk.   I see lots of K’s in the short term but hopefully he runs into a few.  

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think a more relaxed Norby tags one of those Gausman meatballs for at least a base hit. He fouled some off, and chased some out of the zone. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

He does look “hitterish” up there.  Gausman as a RHP is pretty tough for a debut. 

Norby looked as one would expect, a young guy trying to get his feet wet in his first MLB game. Most likely, even if he sticks/stays, it will probably take him some time to get acclimated/adjusted to MLB pitching.

More than likely, he goes back down when Mateo returns next week, and then is probably dealt around the deadline.

Hopefully, he is able to showcase his abilities during this opportunity.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Norby looked as one would expect, a young guy trying to get his feet wet in his first MLB game. Most likely, even if he sticks/stays, it will probably take him some time to get acclimated/adjusted to MLB pitching.

More than likely, he goes back down when Mateo returns next week, and then is probably dealt around the deadline.

Hopefully, he is able to showcase his abilities during this opportunity.

Let the kid play. Give him 3 straight games and see if he does better.I doubt the Orioles will do that, however.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Let the kid play. Give him 3 straight games and see if he does better.I doubt the Orioles will do that, however.

I'm sure that he will get his fair share of opportunities (rightfully so) until Mateo returns.

I doubt 3 consecutive games tells us that much though. It will in all probability take more time than 3 games for him in order to adjust to the jump in this level of competition.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

So happy for this kid.  I am sure it’s been terribly frustrating for him.  He seems more ready than Holliday at the moment.  Of course, not long term. 

Norby had 800+ at bats with Norfolk and is the more experienced player at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Norby plays well enough that the Orioles have a tough roster decision to make when Mateo returns from the concussion list.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Loved hearing him talk after the game.  He seemed near tears at times.  He seems like a nice guy and will be easy rooting for.  Great bomb he had

He’s a dog. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Norby had 800+ at bats with Norfolk and is the more experienced player at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Norby plays well enough that the Orioles have a tough roster decision to make when Mateo returns from the concussion list.

It's always been about his defense, we shall see how it plays.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bye, bye Urias?

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

So happy for this kid.  I am sure it’s been terribly frustrating for him.  He seems more ready than Holliday at the moment.  Of course, not long term. 

Holliday is 20. Norby’s 24th birthday is Saturday. That might have a bit to do with it. Nevermind the whole Minor League experience thing.

I am rooting for Norby like I root for ALL players in the orange and black. As long as we win, I don’t care who helps us do that.

As much as I love Holliday’s talent, I’m okay if he spends the entire season at AAA. He will still be just 21 and one of the youngest (if not the youngest) players in the AL next year. 

• Upvote 1