Friday 6/7 @ Tampa Bay

86this

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Agree, but Gunnar could have eaten that and kept it first and second.

In three years Gunnar will eat it.  Now he is trying to figure out if he is spiderman or Superman.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I wonder if Manoah ever makes it back.  I am very curious how he reacts to this tough news on his arm.  

Probably buys a  six pack and blames someone else.  

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Malike said:

If you can't make the throw put it in your pocket. How many errors does he have? How many are throwing errors? He broke a guys face last year.

That wasn’t a routine throw though. That’s not the yips. Yips are, like, not being able to make the simplest of throws. Steve Sax had the yips. Chuck Knoblauch had the yips. The catcher in Major League 2 had the yips and recited the Victoria’s Secret catalog to calm himself before making throws in order to get over it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gurgi said:

In three years Gunnar will eat it.  Now he is trying to figure out if he is spiderman or Superman.  

He has made that play plenty of times this year.  The throw wasn’t that much off line. Mounty needed to come off the bag. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That wasn’t a routine throw though. That’s not the yips. Yips are, like, not being able to make the simplest of throws. Steve Sax had the yips. Chuck Knoblauch had the yips. The catcher in Major League 2 had the yips and recited the Victoria’s Secret catalog to calm himself before making throws in order to get over it. 

He's done that on routine plays as well, in fact, he seems to do it more when he has more time.

Edited by Malike

Just now, Gurgi said:

No doubt. He gets to many balls that surprise me. His maturation at the position will be a process.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I get that McCann’s bat is not ideal in the lineup (on the days that he plays). And Mullins struggled really bad for about 6-7 weeks. And Mateo/Urias are no great shakes themselves. But even with all/each of them getting regular to semi-regular ABs, we have the #1 offense in the sport. Like it literally doesn’t get any better. So how do we “need” another bat. Maybe if Mayo is still here, he comes up at some point and strengthens us even more? But I struggle to understand the idea of us needing more offense, especially when the pitching is this shaky. Do you want Cano (who know looks like he’s lost it) and Perez coming in to try to hold games in the 7th/8th inning only to turn it over to Kimbrel in the 9th in October?  Maybe we defeat SEA/NY and reach a World Series for the first time in over 40 years. How would you like our chances of potentially Ranger Suarez vs Irvin/Kremer/Suarez/Povich for 2 times in a potential 7 game series? Seems like the Phills would have a strong advantage there, no?
    • I'm guessing that without a major technological breakthrough we're getting the 2024 version. Which, in the absence of other information, is his career averages with a bit of age-related decline thrown in. I'm assuming the year-to-year variation we see in his record is mostly random noise overlaid on his basic talent level.
    • I'd argue that they became the evil empire circa 1920, when they were drawing 40% more attendance than anyone else in the league, game-day related revenues were almost all revenues at the time, and so they started to have resources and payroll substantially higher than any other team. In 1920 the Yanks drew 1.3M fans, the A's 0.3M. The A's didn't have a chance until Connie Mack pulled a Mike Elias and assembled arguably the greatest collection of relatively cheap, young talent the game had ever seen.
    • Also, check out Fangraph's Top 45 O's Prospects review of Mayo:  
    • https://www.mlb.com/news/max-scherzer-rangers-mets-trade   The Rangers on the hook for 22.5M total. According to Cots, NY is paying 30M this year, which means the Rangers had to pay 13M this year.  So, the Os or anyone else will probably only have to pay 5ishM by the time they would deal for him. https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/texas-rangers/
    • Why not change the bat? The idea that wood bats make sense in the modern era is rather suspect. Give hitters a better weapon and offense will improve. Make the barrel bigger and the bat lighter. Equipment guys could "fit" each hitter like the guys in the Tour equipment trucks do now on the PGA tour. Leave the ball the same. 
    • If you wanted to you could probably write us a white paper on how any number of borderline HOF candidates have not been inducted because the writers are sick of all the Yankees. Like Munson, Nettles, Randolph, Guidry, Bernie Williams, Posada, Mattingly, Pettitte, Schang. Every few years a Baines, Oliva, Hodges, Rice, Cepeda gets in, but not those guys. I'm not going to do that, but feel free...
  • Popular Contributors