Gammons: Steven Strasburg demands

Gammons

ESPN.com's Peter Gammons heard from some club officials that top amateur pitcher Stephen Strasburg and his agent, Scott Boras, could demand $50MM over six years if he's selected first overall by the Nationals in the June draft. If the Nationals pick Strasburg and seem unwilling to pay him as much as he wants, Boras could threaten to send the prospect to pitch in Japan for a year. If the Nats are scared off, the Mariners and Padres are next in line for Strasburg.

So how could an amateur player get away with these lofty demands? Strasburg has struck out 74 and walked only seven in the 34.1 innings he's pitched for San Diego State and scouts rave about his stuff.

That is ridiculous. I don't know what else to say to that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Nats select Ackley over Strasburg if he continues his stellar play. I don't see Ackley falling to us anymore.

I could see him falling to the Padres, who could use him as a replacement for Peavy...

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Nats select Ackley over Strasburg if he continues his stellar play. I don't see Ackley falling to us anymore.

I could see him falling to the Padres, who could use him as a replacement for Peavy...

There is no way Ackely is worthy of the #1 pick.

If he proves he can handle CF again, then he might be worthy of a top 5 selection, but as a 1B/Corner OF he is more of a 10-15 pick, IMO.

At this point, I would say that even at #5, he is a reach.

EDIT: Actually after looking over the numbers again, Ackley has shown a significant increase in power so far this season. He has already hit 5 HR (he hit 7 last seasson) and his SLG is .699. If he can continue this, I wouldn't mid him at #5 as a 1B. He could be a Derrek Lee type.

Also, as I was just looking at the stats for UNC, I noticed Alex White has been struggling a bit. Any chance he falls to us at #5? That would be awesome.

but a total scum-of-the earth agent. The best case scenario is someone (other than the Orioles) drafts him, pays the astronomical amount, and he suffers a career ending injury so the team gets no return value from him at all.

Then, and only then, will teams start saying "no" to Boreass...

but a total scum-of-the earth agent. The best case scenario is someone (other than the Orioles) drafts him, pays the astronomical amount, and he suffers a career ending injury so the team gets no return value from him at all.

Maybe you want to reflect on yourself for a minute?

Stating a best case scenario is a player suffering a career ending injury is pretty low.

Maybe you want to reflect on yourself for a minute?

Stating a best case scenario is a player suffering a career ending injury is pretty low.

I agree with Crazysilver03.

And if you are going to throw that kind of money at a college kid, would you prefer to throw more at Darvish and draft someone else?

Darvish won't be available until four years down the road, if ever, so I'm not getting his inclusion. However, I could care less what free agent players are available, because if Strasburg is available when we pick (HUGE if) I take him. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Darvish won't be available until four years down the road, if ever, so I'm not getting his inclusion. However, I could care less what free agent players are available, because if Strasburg is available when we pick (HUGE if) I take him. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Its the idea of how you spend your money.

My guess is you would have been in favor of giving Prior this contract as well...We saw how that turned out.

On one hand, you can't set this precedent and give him that kind of contract...OTOH, I would rather pay him that contract compared to what most FAs get.

But I don't think you can justify paying him that deal when all is said and done and I have complete confidence that no one will either.

Archived