Gammons: Steven Strasburg demands

If he falls to us, which he will never ever ever do, we pay him 50 if we have to. If scouts are saying he's better than AJ Burnett right now, that would be something of a bargain.
I think the majority here would agree with you. I agree with you. I'm still sure AM wouldn't do it. He wouldn't do it for 20. He won't do it for 50.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are probably right here.

End of the day though, you are right about Boras.

But you have to wonder, what is a better investment...Strasburg, a total unknown, for 6/50 or Sabathia for what he got?

I would take Strasburg over CC in that case, CC's contract is not one I'd be interested in. Even if Strasburg is only a solid #3, he'd be well worth his deal. I know it's possible he could fail to even be that or get hurt, but there's also risk with CC.

I have. Ben McDonald. He was universally described as the greatest pitcher ever to come out of college.

While he didn't live up to the hype, and had injury issues, his numbers would be worth 8+ million a year.

If he falls to us, which he will never ever ever do, we pay him 50 if we have to. If scouts are saying he's better than AJ Burnett right now, that would be something of a bargain.

I concur, but there's no way that's how much the O's would have to pay.

Again, starting point in negotiations, Boras doesn't ask for what he expects to get.

You draft Stausburg and offer him $5M or so more than Price or give him some incentives.

I seriously doubt he goes to Japan.

South of about $18-20 and I seriously think he sits out.

In this case I agree with Boras. $18-20 for six years for a front of the rotation stud who can have an immediate impact is a bargain.

Someone will pay it next season if he sits. If the Nats only offer, say 12, then sitting for a year in anticipation of $6 million more is a good business decision. And that's what Boras will tell the young man.

The Nats need to be crystal clear about what Strasberg's come to Jesus number is. They are in no position to screw up their draft again with signability issues.

However, Boras is not going to move from his 50 mark in pre-draft discussions. If the Nats get cold feet, Boras is hoping he'll fall to a team willing to negotiate for serious money and I think the Giants would love to have him.

But the Giants are after us in the draft order.

Strasberg will be JTrea's Tex for me on this one. If the Nats opt out, and he falls to us, and we're not willing to go 20, then I'll take a swandive into JTrea's pool of bitterness.

Strasberg will be JTrea's Tex for me on this one. If the Nats opt out, and he falls to us, and we're not willing to go 20, then I'll take a swandive into JTrea's pool of bitterness.

You don't have to worry about this. There's no way he falls past both Washington and Seattle.

Someone will pay it next season if he sits. If the Nats only offer, say 12, then sitting for a year in anticipation of $6 million more is a good business decision.

Not if it takes a year later to reach FA.

It would take a pretty unusual set of circumstances to go to Japan and even then there is no assurance that MLB would not change the draft rules to prevent it from happening again.

I am sure the Nats are prepared to pay and I expect SS is looking to begin his MLB career as soon as possible.

This is just how Boras works. If he wants 6 years $25 mil, he throws out $50 mil as a rumor beforehand. It's only a matter of time before there is a rookie salary cap put in place, I'm sure after seeing people go over slot and the MLB office having a fit over it, that it is already on the agenda.

It is the classic Boras MO... Put a number out there that is beyond ridiculous and then when he signs for a record bonus the signing team can still pat themselves on the back and say what a bargain they got since he was asking for X.

With the draft and especially with a pitcher I'd have no hesitation picking him, putting up a solid bonus (maybe Price money + 10%) and tell Boras to take it or leave it... If he sits out, goes to Japan or whatever the compensation pick means I wouldn't have lost much in the grand scheme of things.

You don't have to worry about this. There's no way he falls past both Washington and Seattle.

Completely agree that even if he passes Washington, Seattle will sign him. They have no problem spending money on talent and even if they cut back some, this sounds like a pitcher you don't pass up.

The Lackey/Strasburg arguement is similar to the Smoak/Tex talk of last year. You do not skip on a talent like Strasburg, hoping Lackey will want to sign with you in the off-season. I would like either one or both if I knew I had the option.

Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, Strasburg and Lackey for a rotation (not in any particular order) has the potential to be destructive.

It is the classic Boras MO... Put a number out there that is beyond ridiculous and then when he signs for a record bonus the signing team can still pat themselves on the back and say what a bargain they got since he was asking for X.

With the draft and especially with a pitcher I'd have no hesitation picking him, putting up a solid bonus (maybe Price money + 10%) and tell Boras to take it or leave it... If he sits out, goes to Japan or whatever the compensation pick means I wouldn't have lost much in the grand scheme of things.

It is also less of a gamble with the picks being held onto for the next year. Although, it is in teams best interest to sign their current picks IMO.

Archived