O's @ Yankees Series, June 18-20 (Tues-Thurs)

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The worst part is Cortes was a Rule 5 draft pick the Orioles ended up giving back to the Yankees.

I'm confident at the time we let him go that he wouldn't have had success here.

But he also had a stint in Seattle and then went back to the Yankees, too.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fact that we've seen Cortes this amount of times over the past couple years and have almost never solved him is unbelievable to me.  He's good, but he's not THAT good.  

Really frustrating. Looking at the game log, his start in Camden earlier this year is the only time he's taken an L against us.

In '22 his season work against us was 18.1 scoreless innings. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm confident at the time we let him go that he wouldn't have had success here.

But he also had a stint in Seattle and then went back to the Yankees, too.  

I agree with that, but I believe the Orioles under Elias could have fixed Cortes if the team held onto him into 2019.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fact that we've seen Cortes this amount of times over the past couple years and have almost never solved him is unbelievable to me.  He's good, but he's not THAT good.  

Don't we generally struggle against junkball pitchers though?  We have lots of guys who can hit the fastball but struggle against offspeed stuff.  

If we're looking for a veteran bat at the deadline, we should target a right-handed hitter (preferably a 2B, LF or CF) who punishes lefty junkball pitchers.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree with that, but I believe the Orioles under Elias could have fixed Cortes if the team held onto him into 2019.

+1. I thought Cortes was a good pick and should have gotten a real chance with us.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Lost  a little respect for Judge.  Suarez wasn’t trying to do anything wrong. The ball just ran in on him. Cole is going to throw at Henderson tomorrow.   Bet on it. 

This is just a Yankee narrative.  Whenever they get hbp they say it was nefarious.  But when they hit a batter they act like angels.  It's laughable.

Suarez had no control and the Skanks crowd the plate anyway.  Players get hit with that combination and it's called happenstance.

edit - terrible game to watch. lol

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

What did Judge say wrong? He didn’t say Suarez was throwing at him. He said he likes to throw in, and that’s part of it.

He said THEY like to throw in, not he. I feel like he's implying that the Orioles like to throw in. 

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

ok. so? HE was pitching for THEY.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like it's a totally different ballgame to say Suarez (a single pitcher) likes to pitch in compared to saying the O's (an entire team) likes to pitch in. It makes it sound like the entire Orioles organization wants to pitch inside to come closer to hitting players. 

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like it's a totally different ballgame to say Suarez (a single pitcher) likes to pitch in compared to saying the O's (an entire team) likes to pitch in. It makes it sound like the entire Orioles organization wants to pitch inside to come closer to hitting players. 

I don't know. Seems like you're looking for a reason to be upset about his response, when there was nothing wrong with what he said.