How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

It's not must-win, make-or-break, or anything like that, since there's so much season left. 

But if you ranked all the remaining series by importance, the three Yankees series are probably the top three. In all likelihood the division is between us and them, and these games count double towards determining who wins that race. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

It's a series in mid-June, it's no more important than any other series this month, in my opinion. 

Certainly more important than other non-AL East series, if for nothing else eventual tie-breaker scenarios. 

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also feel that this is a way of grumpy/retired @Frobby perhaps trying to soften the blow of disappointment if we lose this series.  

If the Orioles lose this series I think we can glean that the pitching matchups are not how we would face a very good team in the playoffs. They are what they are in this series and the advantage is clearly in the Yankees favor this week. Weird things happen in baseball, but I wouldn't take too much out of this 3 game set either way.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also feel that this is a way of grumpy/retired @Frobby perhaps trying to soften the blow of disappointment if we lose this series.  

I came up with a better way.  I’m in Grand Teton National Park with my family, and probably won’t even see the games.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

If the Orioles lose this series I think we can glean that the pitching matchups are not how we would face a very good team in the playoffs. They are what they are in this series and the advantage is clearly in the Yankees favor this week. Weird things happen in baseball, but I wouldn't take too much out of this 3 game set either way.

Yeah I mean, the pitching matchups are about as bad as they could get by random chance. It is what it is. I'm not expecting much from this series. If we lose the series, it won't say a ton about either the Orioles or the Yankees. 

BUT - if we win the series, it will be huge. And the Yankees' claim at best in the AL will look highly suspect. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I came up with a better way.  I’m in Grand Teton National Park with my family, and probably won’t even see the games.  

Have you warned Grand Teton Hangout about your new grumpier demeanor? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, byrdz said:

If we do get the best of the them I’d expect a lot of whining from Boone and at least one ejection. 

That alone would almost be the same as a win.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Its important because tiebereakers could come into play this year.

This. I think it's important from the stand point that as of right now it looks like the #1 seed is going to be the winner of this division. Yeah, yeah. I know last year and WC made the WS yeah, yeah, yeah.

I would still rather beat the MFY, win the AL East and be the #1 seed in 2024.

What an odd question. Of course it’s important. The entire baseball world will be paying attention to this series.
The two best teams in all baseball, in the same division, each going for a crown at the expense of the other, and neither a big fan of the other.

Wins are important regardless of the opponent, but it also goes without saying that we would rather win three out of four against the Yankees, than three out of four against the Athletics, or even other contenders like the Mariners or Guards.

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You must have quite a connection to be online while in the middle of a national park. 
But good heavens, you’re in one of those places where God has a summer home, you should be outside, marveling that there are still such places in the world.

Edited by Philip