The Case For Pulling the Plug on Jorge Mateo

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Day games vs. night games!  

You can make your case all you want, but he's not going anywhere, anytime soon.  You're also downplaying his defense and the speed on the bases.  He's stepped up and played second base really, really well so far this year.  I agree that Jackson Holliday is the future over there but there seems to be no rush in bringing him back.  I would love to be incorrect about that.

He's at 1.2 WAR for the season in 130 at bats.  I'm not saying he's an all-star, but he's a valuable player...and while I'm a big fan of OBP which he doesn't provide, he's providing value in other areas as well.

He's going to be a really good utility player moving forward.  I know it pains some posters that we can't have all-stars at every position and on the bench but Mateo is fine for what he is.  A good glove, someone that go on a heater for part of a season and make you believe he's turned a corner and some speed on the bases.  

Can't see the OP but how many shots were fired at Hyde in it? I'd put the over/under at 6. 

Mateo is fine as a utility player.  I think the decision that is coming soon is whether to keep Mateo or Urias.  I come down on Mateo's side because of his ability to play more positions including SS, being a plus pinch runner, and Urias is no longer a replacement level hitter.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Downvoting > Ignoring

Nah, I can't read posts that are written longer than the Bible that just ramble on about things. I don't have enough time in the day.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol no shots at Hyde. Why have the OP on ignore?

Liar! I just read it, it was 5, so the under. Hyde doesn't know the splits, Hyde is misusing Mateo, etc. I knew it!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

Urias let go before Mateo for me. And that doesn't mean I haven't appreciated Urias.

Mateo is a plus player right now off the bench imo with his versatility and speed.

I agree. Urias is solid on a team flush with young infielders. But  Mateo is the prototypical utility infielder—perennially that long cold streak away from being more than solid.

29 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Mateo will be fine if Mullins and Hays start hitting at their career norms. Thankfully, Santander is looking more normal. If you've got those guys hitting, you can carry Mateo. 

At this point, I think this is a VERY big "IF".

And the issue with Holliday is not just offensive production, he is still learning 2b and his fielding has been atrocious since his his demotion.  

Burned into my memory is JH breaking to cover 2b on a ball to RF when he had cover responsibility contrasted by Mateo backing up a poor Gunnar throw and getting the runner at second.  Rarely in today's game does a 2b follow the play like that or have the arm to make the play.

IMO he's playing 2b defensively at a level the Orioles haven't seen since Alomar.  He's the best "cut man" I can remember-his transfer is beautiful.   

Who else on the current or expanded roster would cover SS if Gunnar is hurt?  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

Liar! I just read it, it was 5, so the under. Hyde doesn't know the splits, Hyde is misusing Mateo, etc. I knew it!

This is so unintentionally funny. My youngest went through a stage from about 15-18 where anything that was stated incorrectly was a lie. It became funny and this made me laugh out loud. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

This is so unintentionally funny. My youngest went through a stage from about 15-18 where anything that was stated incorrectly was a lie. It became funny and this made me laugh out loud. 

I take every opportunity to dump on Moose, I just can't help myself.