Trade Partner: Seattle

They aren’t good partners because they will want proven talent for the playoffs.  They won’t be looking for a guy like Kjerstad who might be great later but could struggle initially.  They will want someone proven, and we won’t be looking to move anyone like that. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They aren’t good partners because they will want proven talent for the playoffs.  They won’t be looking for a guy like Kjerstad who might be great later but could struggle initially.  They will want someone proven, and we won’t be looking to move anyone like that. 

Orioles and Mariners might make great off-season trade partners, but I came to the same conclusion as you neither team is going to deal from a proven area of strength.

Maybe we see a prospect for prospect trade, but that's still looking more towards the future than this October.

Buyer to buyer deals are hard...particularly with names to the level that it would be here to help. I don't think they move any of their top-5 starters nor do they move Munoz. They'd probably move a lower end reliever, but then we are in the category of Voth or Baumann who we already had. 

I think we are far more likely to find a fit if we look to Miami or Chicago.

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't see a contending team trading from an established area of strength. The Mariners might be willing to trade pitching, but it's going to be their prospects and the Orioles are willing to trade position players who are also prospects.

I'm sure the Orioles could trade Westburg to get a starting pitcher or elite bullpen arm, but Elias isn't even going to consider it.

Best bet for veteran help is going to be teams no positioning themselves for the postseason.

This is generally true but we are coming up on the 20th anniversary of Theo Epstein offloading Nomar Garciaparra to get the mix right slaying the first of the two great curses.

Santander would be exactly what they'd want, a hot experienced bat that's a rental. But we're not in a position to trade him (specifically). On the other end, I'm not sure they are in a hurry to trade one of their starters. Maybe in the offseason, but I don't know there's an easy substitution inhouse. Starters always get hurt, they'd probably prefer to keep that advantage. I'm not sure what their farm system looks like.

Just now, G54377 said:

Santander would be exactly what they'd want, a hot experienced bat that's a rental. But we're not in a position to trade him (specifically). On the other end, I'm not sure they are in a hurry to trade one of their starters. Maybe in the offseason, but I don't know there's an easy substitution inhouse. Starters always get hurt, they'd probably prefer to keep that advantage. I'm not sure what their farm system looks like.

Why aren't they?

Even if there is a slight dip in overall offense theoretically the gain in pitching would offset it.

Unless it's a blow me out of the water kind of trade (which it won't be as SEA isn't stupid), I am not incentivized to help SEA improve. Right now we are A LOT better than them. Yes we could improve as well in this kind of trade, but I don't see the need in taking on the risk of helping them in the process.

I would rather make a trade with SF, STL, CHI SOX, Cubs or another team like that who is not likely to be in our way in October.

Also, I have literally less than ZERO interest in subtracting from our Major League team in order to improve our pitching staff. Like why would we even consider a notion of trading a team leader and franchise cornerstone player like Adley (just entering his prime) or a young player who looks like he has a serious "clutch gene" in Westburg?

Like is this just a thought exercise or "video game scenario"? Does anybody actually think that Elias would do something that extreme? That seems like an unforced error waiting to happen IMO. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

What would it cost for Emerson Hancock?  Would a trade of Kjerstad for Hancock work?

Hopefully, if they trade Kjerstad for a young pitcher it's one who can strike people out. We need K arms.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Westburg for Kirby?

Norby and Stowers for Kirby.  If that's not enough then maybe Norby and Kjerstad.  If that's not enough then maybe even Norby and Cowser.  This may not be enough for them if they are listening for Kirby, but it could be pretty close.