Vet players: who would be a mistake to move on from this season?

Sports Guy

Vet Players  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which vet player(s) would be a mistake to move on from?

The top 3 clearly, though I'd reluctantly move any of them in the right deal for pitching.  All add good value to the team.  Tony is playing a solid RF and brings power from both sides.  Mounty hits well from the right (the team's weaker side) and is by far the best defensive 1B.  ROH has been a consistent professional hitter, as they say.

The other 4 bring varying degrees/abilities of use but we'd be fine without any of them.  If Mullins goes, I'd trust Cowser in CF.  Hays is waking up offensively but is slowing down and historically has availability issues.  Mateo is a nice bench piece but certainly not an every day guy.  Urias has been a good soldier for the O's but I've wanted to trade him since the end of 2022.  At this point, I wouldn't lose sleep over releasing him (certainly a trade would be my preference) to add Mayo.

For me, it's O'Hearn.

Santander is nearly 30. He's a great DH, but a subpar defensive outfielder. He's making nearly $12m. He reminds me of a Nelson Cruz Lite. I'd bring Santander back if he'd be willing to do something like a 3 year/$36m deal. Great culture guy. The interesting thing is the O's have a plethora of OF/DH types that could replace him. Heston Kjerstad is a good example.

In order for me:

1. O'Hearn
  2. Santander
  3. Mountcastle
  4. Mateo
  5. Mullins
  6. Hays
  7. Urias

ORIGINAL post - Need a 'none of the above' option.  Obviously I wouldn't get rid of ALL of them, but nor do I think any of them are irreplaceable and that it would be a 'mistake' to move on from them.  O'Hearn is the closest IMO.  I have no problem if 1 or 2 or even a handful of them are not on the team next year, depending on who we replace them with.  That said, I expect the only one not on the roster next year is Santander.  The kids will still be languishing in AAA while Mateo/Urias/Hays/Mullins have diminishing skills and numbers.

Edit/addition - Sorry, I misread the question as being who we move on from in the offseason.  As to this year, the ones I not move/view as a mistake to move are Mullins, O'Hearn, Mountcastle, and Santander.  We don't have a good solution for CF, especially with Cowser struggling.  If he were still hitting, then Mullins could be moved.   Santander is producing, and I would rather see Heston take at bats away from Hays.  I like the split of O'Hearn and Mountcastle, besides none of the 'kids' are 1st basemen or have played much at that position.  

Mateo, Urias and Hays could all be moved tomorrow and if wouldn't be a mistake...if anything it might be an improvement.  

Edited by forphase1
Misread the question

I think you need to hold onto one of Mateo/Urias and one of Mountcastle/OHearn. Also I see no reason to move on from Mullins. He probably shouldn’t be an every day player, but no reason to trade him. I’d give Santander a QO but wouldn’t sign him long term. For Hays it will depend on how he finishes this season. We do need a RH OF bat, but he’ll need to be dependable. 

Between now and Opening Day next year, two players need to be gone from the current MLB roster to make space for Holliday and Mayo.

However for the trade deadline and rest of the year, I don’t think this as at the top of the FO’s list as a pressing need because we’ll get an extra roster spot in September and they may want Holliday down until then to remain rookie eligible next year.

It would be nice to get Mayo up, but I think they hold onto the depth this season and he’ll come up if there’s an injury, or if Kjerstad doesn’t perform. 

For next year, so hard to tell now. Santander and O’Hearn could both be gone, which would get you the two roster spots, or one or both could be back and you need to trade somebody else. O’Hearn is likely to be back given how he’s performed and his relatively cheap option, and Santander could get QO’d or extended. I think that makes Kjerstad a potential trade option if he’s what is needed to bring in a controllable SP, in which case you want to keep one or both of them for next year. 

I voted for Mateo, not because I dont think the O's cant win without him but rather there is no one on the roster that brings his position versatility, defense, and speed. 

I think they are all basically replaceable. 

The one thing I dont think we really consider when discussing these "most efficient" lineups are the chemistry aspect. For instance, it's assumed McCann will be gone next year and based on his plays he should be. But he's always cited as an important vet in the locker room. Rightly or wrongly teams and front offices are stubborn on moving on from vets to a fault due to this. Im reminded of Martin Maldonado with the Astros. Dusty Baker refused to play Yainer Diaz despite Maldonado being below replacement level. Many members of the team praised Maldonado being a critical part of their clubhouse.

So I don’t think any of these guys make or break our chances.

That said, I would look to keep Mullins because we need the back up CFer and his speed could be important.

I would want to trade one of the 3 of Mounty/OHearn/santander.

I don’t like losing good players for nothing but I think Santander has some clubhouse importance that matters and you are trying to win. I think there’s a good chance the Os re-sign him although I think that’s a bad idea.

I like the role Mateo is in and feel he has playoff value.

So for me, I would look to trade Hays, Urias and Mounty. I feel Mounty has importance but at the same time is also the easiest to replace because of Mayo plus, Mounty may be able to be a legit piece in a trade for something you need.

Mayo, OHearn, Westburg, Holliday, Gunnar, Adley, McCann, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Mateo, Santander and Norby

Stowers traded as well.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So I don’t think any of these guys make or break our chances.

That said, I would look to keep Mullins because we need the back up CFer and his speed could be important.

I would want to trade one of the 3 of Mounty/OHearn/santander.

I don’t like losing good players for nothing but I think Santander has some clubhouse importance that matters and you are trying to win. I think there’s a good chance the Os re-sign him although I think that’s a bad idea.

I like the role Mateo is in and feel he has playoff value.

So for me, I would look to trade Hays, Urias and Mounty. I feel Mounty has importance but at the same time is also the easiest to replace because of Mayo plus, Mounty may be able to be a legit piece in a trade for something you need.

Mayo, OHearn, Westburg, Holliday, Gunnar, Adley, McCann, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Mateo, Santander and Norby

Stowers traded as well.

I don’t like losing good players for nothing either .  At least acquire some DSL players, lottery tickets, international slot money , etc 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ziiiiiiiing. I think he's actually on the IL so I'm sure he's available.

McKenna or Pickles?   Haven’t heard from either one lately.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'd try to retain all but Urias and Hays. I am a big Urias fan, but he doesn't look like he's ever going to return to his production from 2-3 years ago. I'm not even sure his defense is as good as it was, let alone his offensive production. So if Mayo has to exist on a roster that also features O'Hearn and Mountcastle, Urias is the one to go. 

Hays is just really struggling. I like him as well, but he may need a change of scenery. I wish him well.

O'Hearn is just a cockroach. Dude just doesn't go away. I'm finally a believer. What he's doing this year is more impressive to me than last year. He's been a big piece for us. And just the perfect handcuff with Mountcastle. They both stay for me, at least thru 2025. I do think that Mayo is the future at 1b though, as eventually Holliday will be our everyday 2b and Westburg will be the everyday 3b, unless of course Holliday can move to CF, which brings me to...

Mullins stays because of his defense, pure and simple. He's working hard and gutting through his lengthy slump, and I give him a lot of credit for that. At a minimum, he's a defensive replacement / speed element for us, and ditto all of the above for Mateo. They both stay through 2025 for me as well.

Finally, Santander stays if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal. His numbers are catchy and could fetch more than we'd want to pay him, but I think he's got multiple layers of value to our team. Veteran, clubhouse guy, Hyde favorite, and I think his bat plays at OPACY extremely well. And his defense continues to impress me. 

Elias is not going to pay Mullins 10m+ next year to be a defensive backup.   He either starts or he is gone IMO.

Edited by wildcard