5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

Records over last 30 games Orioles 14-16 The Yankees are 10-20, the Guardians are 13-17,  the Mariners are 11-19    So who is the great team we can’t play with?  Everyone is just kinda treading water right now.  

Who is the team to beat in the AL?  

Right now?  The Astros.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

So you don’t trust the guy that has the highest percentage of giving up 3 runs or less in a start then I am not sure who you will trust.  

No.  I just don't.  Love GR and I think he will be an awesome pitcher for many years.

But today?  I do not.  Mentally he is still not there.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

10 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Because.....why?   I can't offer an opinion until the trade deadline has passed and we know what happens?

I mean....that seems very...cult like.

BTW I don't care about a division title.  I want championships while the #1 picks we drafted are on the team.   Multiple Championships. 

No go ahead and give your opinion.  I know no one here will stop that.  I am just going to see what happens.  However, I don’t think they should make a deal because any windows are closing that fast.  IMO holding on to the Mayo’s, Basallo, Holliday, and Kjersted assures them of more chances to win for a longer number of years then if you panic and trade 1 or 2 because you think you have to win this year or even next.  It is hard in this era of baseball to win a World Series with all the level of playoffs.  The hot team at the end wins the World Series not necessarily the best team.  I want to be good for a sustained number of years.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Records over last 30 games Orioles 14-16 The Yankees are 10-20, the Guardians are 13-17,  the Mariners are 11-19    So who is the great team we can’t play with?  Everyone is just kinda treading water right now.  

Who is the team to beat in the AL?  

Great question.  I said 2 months ago, when the NYY's were tearing it up and winning every game.....that I didn't like their team talent wise.  They have since proven me 100% right.  If you don't believe me I can show you the post I made about it.

Boston?  Nah.  Houston?  Nah.

Cleveland?  Maybe.

The Os with Bradish and Means and FB were a lock to go to the WS this year.  100%. I made a post about this last year and got crucified for it.   But they aren't here now so we need to adjust.  Hence why I said time to trade some of our prospects for REAL elite pitchers.  Not scrubs.  And use what we already have on the parent club to win it all.  This year and for the next few years. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right now?  The Astros.

They are playing the best but honestly they don’t really scare me much.  There pitching has a good 1-2 but then some serious question marks.  Verlander injured lot and has struggled, Brown has been meh, Arraghetti has been bad.  I think us the Yankees, and Guardians were all playing over our heads and Astros were disappointing but over time it evens out they got better and the other teams were bound to drop off some.  

40 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

To be fair, Grayson has more wins than Burnes. Who in your opinion has had the better season? Who would you trust more if we had 1 game to win?

That's not how this works.  I never said the only metric that matters is wins, and the performance of the pitcher is linear.  By that logic Felix Hernandez was a league average pitcher his whole career.

But 12 wins, leading the AL, I don't have to even dive into other stats to make the point.  Grayson is at least a #2, and probably more like a 1B.

To be fair, Grayson has more wins than Burnes. Who in your opinion has had the better season? Who would you trust more if we had 1 game to win?

That's not how this works.  I never said the only metric that matters is wins, and the performance of the pitcher is linear.  By that logic Felix Hernandez was a league average pitcher his whole career.

But 12 wins, leading the AL, I don't have to even dive into other stats to make the point.  Grayson is at least a #2, and probably more like a 1B.

25 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The Os with Bradish and Means and FB were a lock to go to the WS this year.  100%. I made a post about this last year and got crucified for it.   But they aren't here now so we need to adjust.  Hence why I said time to trade some of our prospects for REAL elite pitchers.  Not scrubs.  And use what we already have on the parent club to win it all.  This year and for the next few years. 

Those guys help a ton but there's really no such thing as a World Series lock in the modern postseason. Just ask the Dodgers and Braves of recent years. 

52 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Tell me what 75% of the players in AA or AAA will ever do for us?  Nothing.  Not with the talent we already have on the team.

You don't get awards for best farm system. 

You are correct, but you don’t know which guys in the farm will turn out to be different makers. Because of that, you don’t just throw them in a bag and hand them over to some other team.

We need to be careful who we let go. For a case in point, go look up Tobias Myers. Go look up Jonah Heim or Zach Davies all guys we let go for nothing or less and all guys who have done well since they left.

Even Parker Bridwell was 11-3 in one terrific year after we dumped him.

54 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Tell me what 75% of the players in AA or AAA will ever do for us?  Nothing.  Not with the talent we already have on the team.

You don't get awards for best farm system. 

Adley, Westburg, Gunnar, Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, Ortiz, Norby have already done more than nothing for the O’s and that is just a large sample of AA, AAA’s recent history at the position level of goodness.

This year it’s the big three and more coming. So sell the lot saves the whimsical ups and downs of this seasons WS %. And drops further down the next 6-10 years?!

10 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I don't get it.  Why is this thread being bumped now?  The full moon was Sunday.

Everytime we lose a couple games in a row it's time to trade the entire farm system for the near future tommy johns of the league. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Those guys help a ton but there's really no such thing as a World Series lock in the modern postseason. Just ask the Dodgers and Braves of recent years. 

When I say lock I just mean they would have been the overwhelming favorite to win the WS this year.  I believe that.

Of course nothing is for certain.