Heston Kjerstad 2024

Has Kjerstad used up his rookie eligibility.  He has only had 99 ABs and 41 games in the majors according to ESPN, but I assume he has quite a few more games on the roster.  I still see him as a trade chip for the O's/Elias to get a TOR starter this offseason.  I would hope it would be for multiple years of control because the farm can't sustain that level of prospect loss.  If the O's trade of package of prospects for a TOR type starter, it should be for a pitcher the O's would extend.  It seems that Elias doesn't value Kjerstad the way he values Cowser because of the lesser defense, imo.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Has Kjerstad used up his rookie eligibility.  He has only had 99 ABs and 41 games in the majors according to ESPN, but I assume he has quite a few more games on the roster.  I still see him as a trade chip for the O's/Elias to get a TOR starter this offseason.  I would hope it would be for multiple years of control because the farm can't sustain that level of prospect loss.  If the O's trade of package of prospects for a TOR type starter, it should be for a pitcher the O's would extend.  It seems that Elias doesn't value Kjerstad the way he values Cowser because of the lesser defense, imo.

I believe the threshold is 130 ABs, so by that metric he is still a rookie.  However,  I also think there is a 45-day on active roster rule which he surely is over that limit.

Edited by EERinthe804
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

It looks like Kjerstad didn't play at all for Norfolk this weekend. Has anyone heard if he has been having any more injury/medical issues?

Wondering same.  Sample size was so small, but prior to taking one off the dome was really swinging the bat well.  Didn't hit after coming off IL and have heard nothing since he went back down (minus the observation that he isn't playing).

On 8/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, baltfan said:

If it was a concussion, why wouldn’t they just IL him?

Maybe he was in a situation where he had cleared concussion protocol, but still kind of felt "off" some days and great the others.   Rather than IL him, they could send him down and let him play when he feels OK and sit when he doesn't, without hurting the big league team?

I don't know, must speculation.   There's something going on and it's not just that he's fallen out of favor or something.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If they bring Santander back then there is a question about Heston. Otherwise he simply replaces Santander on the roster. 

I think they bring Santander they will use Heston for trade for a pitcher that is controlled and not huge salary.   If they don’t bring him back then Heston takes his spot and they pay for another starter in free agency.  I figure they have about 25-30 million they have allocated to right field and another starter just depends how they will spend it.  Now if Rubenstein wants he can pay more and keep Burnes that works too but we will see, that will just be some of the money coming off the books in Burnes   Kimbrel and maybe Mullins. 

13 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I think they bring Santander they will use Heston for trade for a pitcher that is controlled and not huge salary.   If they don’t bring him back then Heston takes his spot and they pay for another starter in free agency.  I figure they have about 25-30 million they have allocated to right field and another starter just depends how they will spend it.  Now if Rubenstein wants he can pay more and keep Burnes that works too but we will see, that will just be some of the money coming off the books in Burnes   Kimbrel and maybe Mullins. 

They will need definitely need a SP. 

Another thing to watch is Mullins. If he is gone that means Cowser to CF. Kjerstad is not a LF in Baltimore. If Mullins stays that changes things.  

I don't think they have any plans to trade Heston.  If nothing else, he was no his way to showing with his bat that he was a reliable #4 OF.  Sure, he fits RF best, but the way the bat was coming around before the HBP, he's not gonna be traded.  It's more likely, I think, that Mullins is out, Santander back, but what they choose to do with Jimenez will be interesting.  Provided Eloy shows his value.

14 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I don't think they have any plans to trade Heston.  If nothing else, he was no his way to showing with his bat that he was a reliable #4 OF.  Sure, he fits RF best, but the way the bat was coming around before the HBP, he's not gonna be traded.  It's more likely, I think, that Mullins is out, Santander back, but what they choose to do with Jimenez will be interesting.  Provided Eloy shows his value.

Can Eloy field a position, any position?  If he's just a part time DH, he really limits the team and is very overpriced at $16 mill option. 

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can Eloy field a position, any position?  If he's just a part time DH, he really limits the team and is very overpriced at $16 mill option. 

There is zero chance they exercise that option IMO.