6/29 vs Texas Rangers

Morgan423

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

see how other teams can really foul off pitches...its rare when we can...Kjerstad did the other night...we usually dont...

I think

1. You are suffering from observational bias.
  2. Fouling off pitches has as much to do with the quality of the pitches as it does the hitter.  Povich doesn't have swing and miss stuff.

Povich throws a lots of pitches. I don’t know what that means, but it seems that it means that he’s not fooling anybody, he’s getting a lot of contact, but it’s not hard contact, and they’re going to wear them out. He’s at 40 pitches already and he’s not even through two innings.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It probably is.

I mean you can probably develop the skill if you wanted to.  The question is can you do that and have otherwise effective at bats?

Who is going to put a guy in the lineup just to foul off pitches?

It does feel to me that some are better than others, and some can do so effectively. Like Santander, I feel like he gets into really deep at-bats compared to others, just fouling off pitch after pitch. I do not, however, have any data to back-up said feelings other than what I've seen.