Who goes when Kremer comes up?

Three Run Homer

I am not sure how many innings Suarez has left though.  He has pitched a lot this year already as he pitched in the winter league as well before spring training.  I could see them pulling back on his innings second half of the year.   Suarez has 130 innings between the Mexican league and pitching in our organization.  How many innings will they push him in one Calender year.  

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He looks like same guy from start of last year.  He isn’t wild but has no command and can’t get the ball in on right handers to inside corner.  He is either yanking it way inside and not a competitive pitch or leaves it out in middle third to get hit hard.  He just has no command to place his pitches where he needs them on the black and off edges.  

I disagree. Seems to me he's lost 3-4 mph off his fastball from the start of the season.  

41 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

I disagree. Seems to me he's lost 3-4 mph off his fastball from the start of the season.  

This last start he definitely was having mechanical problems and didn’t  throw but a couple 4 seamers because they were not even close.  He was mostly trying to use his 2 seam/sinkerball, but last start vs the Guardiand he had 6 of his fastest 50 pitches on the season because he threw more 4 seamers.  He was also behind on about everyone which usually leads to a dip in fastball velocity.  

The options for Vespi seems bit moot to me as it is getting late in year.  We have 1 month left til the trading deadline after that we shouldn’t be needing to bring up a guy or Elias didn’t do a good enough job in trading for actual major league bullpen options.  By August 1st we need to pretty much have our playoff bullpen set up except maybe adding Coulumbe later on.  I don’t want a shuttle though in August but have 7 or 8 guys who are locked into their spots and Hyde using them how he expects in playoffs.  

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's a tough question because Irvin's recent performance has been horrible, so he is the starter most deserving of losing his spot.

But Suarez, IMO, could be a really effective reliever, moreso than Irvin, and i would love to see him get the opportunity to prove that.

There's an argument to be made either way.

I agree with this.  On the other hand, the team needs to win games and Irvin in the rotation is not helping us win games.  I think Suarez should go to the bullpen if and (hopefully) when Elias trades for another capable starter.  

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I am not sure how many innings Suarez has left though.  He has pitched a lot this year already as he pitched in the winter league as well before spring training.  I could see them pulling back on his innings second half of the year.   Suarez has 130 innings between the Mexican league and pitching in our organization.  How many innings will they push him in one Calender year.  

You made a good point there about innings used . Maybe they keep Suarez in the rotation until they acquire 2/3 starter by the deadline ? Then after, Suarez can join bullpen 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

There has been a lot of confusion over Vespi's options. Will we have to DFA him or not yet? 

Not yet. He's officially only been optioned 3x this year (doesn't count when he got sent back after being the 27th man). So he can still be sent down 2 more times this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Kremer hasn't been very good at Norfolk. How much longer can he stay there? Maybe we make two trips through the rotation until the All Star break.

I also wonder if Burnes makes the AL squad, and he almost certainly will, does that mean he has to skip that last Sunday start?

46 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Kremer hasn't been very good at Norfolk. How much longer can he stay there? Maybe we make two trips through the rotation until the All Star break.

I also wonder if Burnes makes the AL squad, and he almost certainly will, does that mean he has to skip that last Sunday start?

Kremer can stay at Norfolk for the rest of the year if that is what Elias thinks is best for the team.   His rehab can go until July 15th.   And he can be optioned to Norfolk if that is the right thing to do.

The question in front of Elias is:   Is Kremer ready to be a better starter than Irvin?

56 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

It's been disappointing how Dean has pitched in his rehab starts, but sometimes you gotta give a guy the benefit of the doubt and just assume he turns it back on when he's back up here. I think he's earned that, and I'm not even the biggest Kremer guy. 

I say call him up, chuck Irvin in the pen, and go from there.