Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I agree.  That’s what I was getting at.  Even if you think McDermott becomes a high leverage reliever he shouldn’t be the sticking point in a deal for Skubal.

I have no problem trading McDermott, in the offseason would be better. I am saying that this season, he is needed. Unless they pick up several back end relievers, maybe three.

When we get to August and September, a guy like McDermott could become very important in short stints or matchups. A starter like Skubal spares the pen a bit more, but the pen arms already have a lot of innings. We need upper level depth, and we do not have much that is healthy. 

If McDermott is not going to be missed, why would he be a sticking point for the Tigers to not do the deal? We have plenty of lower level pitchers to offer them to replace him.

At the end of the day, I probably would make the listed trade if they insist on him. If you’re all-in, you do this. Skubal would be a coup, and would likely cost a bit more, maybe one of the popular untouchables. They do not need to move him. My only question here was the wisdom about giving up one of the few upper level arms we have, control issues aside. 

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I have no problem trading McDermott, in the offseason would be better. I am saying that this season, he is needed. Unless they pick up several back end relievers, maybe three.

When we get to August and September, a guy like McDermott could become very important in short stints or matchups. A starter like Skubal spares the pen a bit more, but the pen arms already have a lot of innings. We need upper level depth, and we do not have much that is healthy. 

If McDermott is not going to be missed, why would he be a sticking point for the Tigers to not do the deal? We have plenty of lower level pitchers to offer them to replace him.

At the end of the day, I probably would make the listed trade if they insist on him. If you’re all-in, you do this. Skubal would be a coup, and would likely cost a bit more, maybe one of the popular untouchables. They do not need to move him. My only question here was the wisdom about giving up one of the few upper level arms we have, control issues aside. 

He isn’t needed more than Skubal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s hilarious to me is that people voted no to this. This is a tailor made trade for everything going the O’s way. 

Mounty might be a non tender candidate this offseason. Maybe not, but there is some discussion there at least. He’s the least valuable DH option going forward into next year behind O’Hearn, Kjerstad, and Adley/Basallo. 

IMG_5665.jpeg

why would Mounty be a non tender candidate

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

why would Mounty be a non tender candidate

Well if he keeps hitting poorly, he definitely could be.

But he’s not going to, so it’s a moot point.

That said, he should not be on the 2025 Os.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I think Malike is right. Detroit will want a better main piece and Kjerstad as the second piece and no Mounty makes more sense for them.

I will ask you the same thing that I asked him (and he did not answer) - What team could/would give them a package (that he suggests) that gives the Tigers a prospect comparable to Mayo plus Kjerstad plus more prospects?

Dylan Cease was moved for nowhere near that.

I agree that it might require a Mayo/Basallo level prospect as in one. But I don’t see starting pitchers in 2024 commanding that kind of trade value (that was suggested) given the injury risks/probabilities.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I will ask you the same thing that I asked him (and he did not answer) - What team could/would give them a package (that he suggests) that gives the Tigers a prospect comparable to Mayo plus Kjerstad plus more prospects?

Dylan Cease was moved for nowhere near that.

I agree that it might require a Mayo/Basallo level prospect as in one. But I don’t see starting pitchers in 2024 commanding that kind of trade value (that was suggested) given the injury risks/probabilities.

If Skubal was truly made available, teams would pay a lot.  I could see Boston doing something big. Philly could. Seattle as well.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Skubal was truly made available, teams would pay a lot.  I could see Boston doing something big. Philly could. Seattle as well.

Can you explain the pieces that Boston or Seattle has to equal a Mayo + Kjerstad + more prospects trade? By the way (as I know that you already know) both Boston and Seattle’s issues are offense. Seattle in particular already has tremendous starting pitching, same is true for Philly. 

IMO given Philly’s salary structures and where they are luxury tax wise, they are going to need to backfill their roster in coming years with some of the prospects that they currently have.

But yes, I agree that Philly has the prospect capital to do something like was suggested (not from the position player prospect side though - which is would Detroit really needs). Boston and Seattle, not so much IMO.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Can you explain the pieces that Boston or Seattle has to equal a Mayo + Kjerstad + more prospects trade? By the way (as I know that you already know) both Boston and Seattle’s issues are offense. Seattle in particular already has tremendous starting pitching, same is true for Philly. 

IMO given Philly’s salary structures and where they are luxury tax wise, they are going to need to backfill their roster in coming years with some of the prospects that they currently have.

But yes, I agree that Philly has the prospect capital to do something like was suggested (not from the position player prospect side though - which is would Detroit really needs). Boston and Seattle, not so much IMO.

It doesn’t matter if their issue is offense.  When a guy like Skubal is available, you consider it.

Roman Anthony and Teel for Boston. Seattle has multiple top 25 prospects.  They also have some pitching like Woo. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Red Sox could trade Marcelo Mayer and Roman Anthony although I doubt their GM would do it.   Both are top 20 overall prospects and Mayer being a SS has to be attractive.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well if he keeps hitting poorly, he definitely could be.

But he’s not going to, so it’s a moot point.

That said, he should not be on the 2025 Os.

Maybe he wont be on the 2025 team, but only if he gets traded. I dont know what hes worth in a trade, Youre better at that than me. But a non tender makes his value 0, hes worth more, lets say he gets non tendered he wont have any trouble finding work

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Red Sox could trade Marcelo Mayer and Roman Anthony although I doubt their GM would do it.   Both are top 20 overall prospects and Mayer being a SS has to be attractive.

I’m glad that you brought this thought/idea up.

1) I am certainly no professional talent evaluator and do not have pinpoint predictive skills when evaluating young players like OOO claims to. But something about Mayer screams overrated to me. Again, I could be wrong. I am just not very impressed from what I have seen from him. His evaluation status has changed and diminished somewhat (the more scouts have seen of him). I want to say he was top ten maybe even borderline top 5ish just last season.

2) People complain about a trade nuking our future with such notions as “giving away the farm” when most substantive trade discussions are had. I always tend to think that is a gross overstatement given the abundance of talent that we possess within the org. However, what would that do to Boston’s org if they have away those two? They don’t have much else. And I’m not sure Skubal alone makes them a serious World Series contender. Their offense is more of a problem as compared to their pitching IMO.

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Maybe he wont be on the 2025 team, but only if he gets traded. I dont know what hes worth in a trade, Youre better at that than me. But a non tender makes his value 0, hes worth more, lets say he gets non tendered he wont have any trouble finding work

If he has a 720 OPs at the end of this year, he’s just not worth tendering an offer to. Could you trade him? Maybe. You won’t likely get much but you might be able to.

The problem is what is he worth salary wise to another team in 2025.  That’s where it gets a little trickier.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m glad that you brought this thought/idea up.

1) I am certainly no professional talent evaluator and do not have pinpoint predictive skills when evaluating young players like OOO claims to. But something about Mayer screams overrated to me. Again, I could be wrong. I am just not very impressed from what I have seen from him. His evaluation status has changed and diminished somewhat (the more scouts have seen of him). I want to say he was top ten maybe even borderline top 5ish just last season.

2) People complain about a trade nuking our future with such notions as “giving away the farm” when most substantive trade discussions are had. I always tend to think that is a gross overstatement given the abundance of talent that we possess within the org. However, what would that do to Boston’s org if they have away those two? They don’t have much else. And I’m not sure Skubal alone makes them a serious World Series contender. Their offense is more of a problem as compared to their pitching IMO.

FWIW, Baseball America has Mayer at #10 and MLB Pipeline has him at #7.