Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Give him the highest offer. Who else are we going to get?  Who else is even available for trade, and what do we really even have left to trade?

Pay Burnes. 

Seattle should be a possible trade partner for a starter - Mullins, Mountcastle, Urias, O'Hearn are major league bats that could help their offense and be part of a trade package.

They found out that having the best rotation in baseball can only get you so far if you can't score runs.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Seattle should be a possible trade partner for a starter - Mullins, Mountcastle, Urias, O'Hearn are major league bats that could help their offense and be part of a trade package.

They found out that having the best rotation in baseball can only get you so far if you can't score runs.

There is not a single difference maker in that group of 4. That group combined doesn’t have the value to add up to a good starting pitcher.

If SEA trades they are going to actually want good players back. Not a bunch of league average/mediocre guys.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah that makes sense, but I’d rather have Burnes obviously. 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There is not a single difference maker in that group of 4. That group combined doesn’t have the value to add up to a good starting pitcher.

If SEA trades they are going to actually want good players back. Not a bunch of league average/mediocre guys.

As I said, "part of a package". There would need to be prospects involved as well.

But Seattle had positional WAR's of:

1B: -1.0

2B: 0.1

RF: -0.3

DH: -0.8

WAR for the guys I mentioned, Mullins (2.6), Mountcastle (2.6), O'Hearn (2.0), Urias (1.5)

Maybe Seattle can go out and sign Soto to be a difference maker, but the guys I mentioned would improve their team.

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Though he had a down year, Seattle might love the idea of bringing Adley close to home. There might be a deal to be made there. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

As I said, "part of a package". There would need to be prospects involved as well.

WAR for the guys I mentioned, Mullins (2.6), Mountcastle (2.6), O'Hearn (2.0), Urias (1.5)

Maybe Seattle can go out and sign Soto to be a difference maker, but the guys I mentioned would improve their team.

I think the Yanks spend all their money on Soto, which probably keeps them out of Burns. (If Soto has a great postseason they almost have to)

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Marginal improvements while subtracting from their starting staff. I’m not sure where that really gets them.

I seriously doubt that they will be in on the Juan Soto sweepstakes. He has Mets written all over him to me.

There are two options for them that I see as much better strategies for improving their offense than seeking to acquire league averageish players.

1) Use their excellent farm system to trade for an impact bat.

2) Sign a player (or two) like Pete Alonso.

Neither option requires them to subtract from their team’s strength.

I think those two make much more sense and are more attractive to them.

I know we would love to give away our spare parts. But in actually we are going to have to spend serious money in order to make the necessary improvements. Budget ball only gets you so far. As Tampa Bay.

3 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Though he had a down year, Seattle might love the idea of bringing Adley close to home. There might be a deal to be made there. 

Why would they want to trade for Adley coming off a very down year? And why would we want to do that considering his value will be lower this offseason? Also, then who is our starting catcher?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Why would they want to trade for Adley coming off a very down year? And why would we want to do that considering his value will be lower this offseason? Also, then who is our starting catcher?

I am suggesting that Seattle might "overlook" the down second half because of its desire to have a "an almost local" guy. We can find another catcher. I'm afraid of his bat speed now. I certainly don't want him to DH when he doesn't catch--that really crippled our offense. 

The Mets and Yankees are the two teams I've seen mentioned the most if the Orioles don't re-sign him. 

You need stud pitchers to win in this league. Burnes is arguably the best pitcher the Orioles have had in years. Yes, he will be expensive, but until they have some legitimate arm talent in their farm system, I don't see what other options they have. 

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, Povich, Kremer, and hopefully Suarez to kick off next season. Then when Bradish comes back, you can push Kremer or Suarez into the bullpen. 

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Marginal improvements while subtracting from their starting staff. I’m not sure where that really gets them.

I seriously doubt that they will be in on the Juan Soto sweepstakes. He has Mets written all over him to me.

There are two options for them that I see as much better strategies for improving their offense than seeking to acquire league averageish players.

I know we would love to give away our spare parts. But in actually we are going to have to spend serious money in order to make the necessary improvements. Budget ball only gets you so far. As Tampa Bay.

It gets them nowhere. Seattle is not going to bust up that starting pitching meld for those guys. Mullins is 9 Mil next year, where would he play. they already have JRod in center and Randy in left, Mounty? thats another park that really does not fit him. JT and his 13 MIL come off the books, So they will have money to spend plus the farm ,not to mention they did not miss by much. Any one of those guys might  bring what Hays brought, a reliever, I cant imangine why they would want all 4.

13 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

I am suggesting that Seattle might "overlook" the down second half because of its desire to have a "an almost local" guy. We can find another catcher. I'm afraid of his bat speed now. I certainly don't want him to DH when he doesn't catch--that really crippled our offense. 

there noy going to overlook anything. If youre so worried about Adley going foward, why wouldn't they be.

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What excellent farm system? We don't have much other than Mayo and Bassallo which they wont trade 

15 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Seattle has a bunch of very smart people in their front office like we do. They are not “overlooking” anything I’m afraid.

Also, if you look at Adley’s numbers this year and for a good portion of last season, he hit much better while DHing than he did when catching.