(7/12-7/14) What should we expect with the slumping Yanks vs slumping O's this weekend?

allquixotic

What do you think will be the outcome of this series with both teams in a funk?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will be the outcome of this series with both teams in a funk?

• Orioles sweep
    • Yankees sweep
    • Orioles win 2-1
    • Yankees win 2-1

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/24 at 23:05

Well, 30 minutes into game 1, anyone who voted Orioles Sweep is wrong. I voted Orioles win 2-1, but that means we need to beat both Gil and Rodon, and Kremer needs to pitch better than he has been while the offense wakes up.

Not optimistic.

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

Well, 30 minutes into game 1, anyone who voted Orioles Sweep is wrong. I voted Orioles win 2-1, but that means we need to beat both Gil and Rodon, and Kremer needs to pitch better than he has been while the offense wakes up.

Not optimistic.

So game one is over already?

Cool.

5 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I expect frustration and that will cause tempers to flare...mostly by the Skanks.  I don't think the Skanks have forgotten the couple HbP's of the last series and I think they carry a grudge.  So I expect them to be using a lot of inside pitching.  I don't think we did anything purposefully in the last series, but the Skanks like to act the bully and the victim at the same time.  So if they plunk someone, it's gonna be them using the disingenuous, "It just got away from me" excuse, but with eye to put us on our heels.  I'm not saying anything is going to happen but it would not shock me.

I'm going to say we take 2-3, but it's gonna be a dogfight.  We've played a little better and plus I hate the Yankees.  So I hope we sweep them, but I'm happy with taking two and maybe one in a 27-0 drudging, but hopefully both of them that way.  All three of them that way would be Christmas in July!  ;)

...um...

Well, I didn't expect it in the first game with the Skanks leading by 3, but....

Based what I gathered, the Yankees Assistant Hitting Coach Casey Dykes was saying something that pissed off Hyde and Gonzalez. 

This is purely my deduction of the situation and has not been confirmed. It also looked possible that Cortes could have ran his mouth too.

2 hours ago, allquixotic said:

Not optimistic.

Is beating Rodon supposed to be some challenge? He is beyond terrible. He’s given up 28 runs his last 23 innings (last 5 starts).

I do agree on Kremer though; have zero expectations every time he takes the hill. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wow, the Orioles finally showed some fight. 

Too bad it was the benches clearing that did it. 

Didn’t get to watch all of the game but from what I saw they looked like the roadkill they were in the Cubs series. 

Yeah, terrible. More of the same… impatient at bats, bad luck. 

And tonight a really GD good starting pitcher. Cole was on tonight.

6 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Is beating Rodon supposed to be some challenge? He is beyond terrible. He’s given up 28 runs his last 23 innings (last 5 starts).

I do agree on Kremer though; have zero expectations every time he takes the hill. 

We may have the better record for the moment, but the Yankees seem poised to come to Baltimore to get right, while the Orioles are in an absolute free-fall with no interest in doing anything differently on or off the field to change that.

A few competently pitched outs by the 1,971st MLB player with the last name Smith isn’t going to move the needle. Gunnar, Adley, Santander and Westburg ALL seem to have Chris Davis Syndrome right now. 

Watch their ABs frame by frame as the pitch is delivered. They are turning their heads to look at the baseball as it sails through the strikezone, with the bat on their shoulder. This is a completely worthless action, as you can’t make a decision to swing that late in the pitch delivery. 

They need to be looking at the pitcher’s pitching hand and the ball as soon as it comes out of the hand. Then they need to make a decision to swing or not, while the ball is still coming to them, and live with that decision. They are over-analyzing, and their brains are slower than their body can react once they think they recognize the pitch.

They need to recognize the pitch much earlier in the delivery. If they can’t, they need to keep practicing until they regain that instinct. It has to be quick, immediate, reflexive, not something they’re actively thinking about like you would a math problem. There’s no time for that.

Gunnar watching strike 3 over and over and over is exactly what Chris Davis suffered from. I swear to Christ, we need a sports psychologist on staff. Brian Ebel is an accomplished sports physician who is great at helping the players through physical injury, but it doesn’t appear that he is helping them with the grey matter in between their ears.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wow, the Orioles finally showed some fight. 

Too bad it was the benches clearing that did it. 

Didn’t get to watch all of the game but from what I saw they looked like the roadkill they were in the Cubs series. 

They did get their first hit with RISP this home stand so progress I guess. We'll see if the end of game skirmish gets the bats to wake up tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

We may have the better record for the moment, but the Yankees seem poised to come to Baltimore to get right, while the Orioles are in an absolute free-fall with no interest in doing anything differently on or off the field to change that.

A few competently pitched outs by the 1,971st MLB player with the last name Smith isn’t going to move the needle. Gunnar, Adley, Santander and Westburg ALL seem to have Chris Davis Syndrome right now. 

Watch their ABs frame by frame as the pitch is delivered. They are turning their heads to look at the baseball as it sails through the strikezone, with the bat on their shoulder. This is a completely worthless action, as you can’t make a decision to swing that late in the pitch delivery. 

They need to be looking at the pitcher’s pitching hand and the ball as soon as it comes out of the hand. Then they need to make a decision to swing or not, while the ball is still coming to them, and live with that decision. They are over-analyzing, and their brains are slower than their body can react once they think they recognize the pitch.

They need to recognize the pitch much earlier in the delivery. If they can’t, they need to keep practicing until they regain that instinct. It has to be quick, immediate, reflexive, not something they’re actively thinking about like you would a math problem. There’s no time for that.

Gunnar watching strike 3 over and over and over is exactly what Chris Davis suffered from. I swear to Christ, we need a sports psychologist on staff. Brian Ebel is an accomplished sports physician who is great at helping the players through physical injury, but it doesn’t appear that he is helping them with the grey matter in between their ears.

I have been watching and yes it’s getting tiring watching Gunnar watch 3-1 and 3-2 pitches go by especially with RISP. He’s trying to walk his way on base instead of doing damage.

With that being said it doesn’t take away from the fact that Rodon is a disaster.

Gunnar getting lot of blame but he still has been pretty decent numbers wise.  One of the biggest problems right now is Adley has been dreadful the last 2-3 weeks.  He is hitting under .125 the last 15 games with OPS under .550

55 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

What about the Yankees says “poised” to you right now? Is it their 6-15 record dating back to the last Orioles series?