Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This brings up a good point… Had Bradish and Means both not went down with TJ this year, we wouldn’t have had to make a move for a SP. 

But we have to have some vision and look ahead to who is our Game 3 and Game 4 SP?

We will have a better understanding of who is available on 7/28+. 

Does Elias also upgrade our CF option?  How splashy will he get?

Sadly … we need upgrades at CF, RF and 2B offensively .. I think they should look for a power hitting RH bat that is a rental. Bring Norby up to take over at 2B, and upgrade CF if you can. 

im okay with Mayo … but think he’s better at 1B as opposed to 3B. Also Kjerstad in LF if you want to live with his defense. But being at or near the bottom in OPS at those 3 positions is sad. Plus you catching number is poor because McCann is playing too much and Adley seems to perform better when he isn’t catching.

4 minutes ago, survivedc said:

There’s a difference between premium price tag and premium performance. Performance is obviously the only one that matters in this discussion.

Exactly right..in fact, bringing up Eovaldi actually makes his argument look worse

6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

There’s a difference between premium price tag and premium performance. Performance is obviously the only one that matters in this discussion.

Sure …. But the comparison was diminished value of starting pitching compared to NFL RBs. Dumb comparison and way off base. NFL RBs have diminished and most have seen a hit in draft position and high priced contracts. The good starting pitchers are among the highest contracts in baseball. And you are having a tough time winning with bad pitching. Look at what the lost of Bradish has done to us…and to a lesser extent Means.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly right..in fact, bringing up Eovaldi actually makes his argument look worse

What were Eovaldi’s playoff numbers? It’s my understanding that he’s been good in the playoffs.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

What were Eovaldi’s playoff numbers? It’s my understanding that he’s been good in the playoffs.

He has been…but he’s not a premium pitcher. Again, bringing him up makes your argument worse.

This is a guy, who if Texas made available, you could get for way less than Skubal and he easily could give you the same or better playoff numbers than Skubal does.

Eovaldi struggled to get a multi year deal. Premium pitchers don’t find that to be an issue.

I said this in the Holliday thread but it probably belongs here. 

Not going to lie, I'd trade Holliday for two and half years of Skubal. 

It's not that I don't like Holliday, I do. In fact, as soon as they get him off the dirt I'm going to like him a lot more, but I just think if you can add a young left-handed ace for two and half seasons while were directly in the window, I think you have to go for it. Maybe you ask Detroit to add a Kevin McGonigle while we add in a guy like Luis DeLeon and maybe a Dominican guy like Luis Almeyda. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I said this in the Holliday thread but it probably belongs here. 

Not going to lie, I'd trade Holliday for two and half years of Skubal. 

It's not that I don't like Holliday, I do. In fact, as soon as they get him off the dirt I'm going to like him a lot more, but I just think if you can add a young left-handed ace for two and half seasons while were directly in the window, I think you have to go for it. Maybe you ask Detroit to add a Kevin McGonigle while we add in a guy like Luis DeLeon and maybe a Dominican guy like Luis Almeyda. 

If Morosi is being truthful and the Tigers are looking for the type of return WAS got for Soto, It's going to cost 2 of the top 100 and then some. I don't think Skubal is worth it and I don't think anyone is paying that price. I don't blame the Tigers for asking for it, he's the best pitcher in the AL this year.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Morosi is being truthful and the Tigers are looking for the type of return WAS got for Soto, It's going to cost 2 of the top 100 and then some. I don't think Skubal is worth it and I don't think anyone is paying that price. I don't blame the Tigers for asking for it, he's the best pitcher in the AL this year.

The Tigers would be stupid not to try to get that price. Deadlines make deals. We have no idea what they'll actually settle for. No doubt that we're not getting a favorable deal likely at all, but certainly not significantly before the deadline.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That Baez contract may be the worst in baseball. I’m not sure I take that on to get Skubal for less and I kind of doubt Det does that anyway.

There are two types of orgs that might take it on. 

1) Very rich orgs. NYY, LAD

2) Orgs on the cusp now with low payroll. O's, Sox? others?

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sadly … we need upgrades at CF, RF and 2B offensively .. I think they should look for a power hitting RH bat that is a rental. Bring Norby up to take over at 2B, and upgrade CF if you can. 

im okay with Mayo … but think he’s better at 1B as opposed to 3B. Also Kjerstad in LF if you want to live with his defense. But being at or near the bottom in OPS at those 3 positions is sad. Plus you catching number is poor because McCann is playing too much and Adley seems to perform better when he isn’t catching.

I know everything won't be done in-house,  but Norby would be an upgrade at 2B in my opinion.  RF is Santander, so I'm not sure if they need an upgrade there.

I see that you said Norby.  CF is a bit of a black hole with no upgrades coming. 

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

I would also think Holliday is much more valuable at the time of the trade than any prospect WSH got. I believe Holliday is a 70 FV and Abrams was the highest ranked prospect in that trade at 60 FV, which is a big discrepancy even if Abrams was a top 15 prospect in the MLB. I would personally prefer they trade for Fedde and another 3/4 guy, along with 2 very good relievers while hopefully keeping the big 3, but I’d be pretty excited to see Skubal in an O’s uniform. 

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I know everything won't be done in-house,  but Norby would be an upgrade at 2B in my opinion.  RF is Santander, so I'm not sure if they need an upgrade there.

I see that you said Norby.  CF is a bit of a black hole with no upgrades coming. 

I meant LF …sorry 

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

I would also think Holliday is much more valuable at the time of the trade than any prospect WSH got. I believe Holliday is a 70 FV and Abrams was the highest ranked prospect in that trade at 60 FV, which is a big discrepancy even if Abrams was a top 15 prospect in the MLB. I would personally prefer they trade for Fedde and another 3/4 guy, along with 2 very good relievers while hopefully keeping the big 3, but I’d be pretty excited to see Skubal in an O’s uniform. 

I'd much rather go the solid number 3 with some 2 upside type starts and a couple of pen arms and not dump the farm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If we look at Cowser by the month we see.

2023-

July 372 OPS

August 729 OPS

2024-

March/April 1.004 OPS

May 580 OPS

June 679 OPS

July 443 OPS

That's worrisome.  That could easily be a guy that isn't going to hit long term in the majors that had a major burner.

But he has so much red on the baseball savant picture when he makes contact. 

Cowser = Spare Part

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

There are two types of orgs that might take it on. 

1) Very rich orgs. NYY, LAD

2) Orgs on the cusp now with low payroll. O's, Sox? others?

I want Rubenstein to invest in the team, but I'm not sure he would feel ok with spending $100 mill on basically a worthless player in Baez.  Does Baez take Urias place?  With the way O's payroll will be increasing soon, I doubt it's an expenditure I want the O's to make and,I would much rather Rubenstein spend his money on extending players.