Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

28 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Skubal is enjoying a season worthy of CY consideration at the All-Star Break. I don’t think I’m ready to declare him CY level yet and I’m the one on this forum suggesting that Jackson Holliday is who I would move for him.

No he hasn’t done it for a full calendar year as of yet. But it can be credibly argued that his 2nd half last year combined with his first half this year he has been the best pitcher in the game.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think that’s enough for DET.

1) McDermott probably holds little interest for them given how many better young pitchers they already possess and how bad their offensive talent is.

2) I’m not sure that Stowers is anything more than a throw in at this point to any team. He will be 27 next. Well beyond any prospect status.

3) They are probably going to insist on Holliday or Mayo as the centerpiece in any deal for Skubal. Skubal is a Cy Young level pitcher now.

4) I don’t think that their fanbase would be happy at all with such a return. 

Stowers is several levels above the level you are giving him as a hitter and overall player. He is definitely not a throw in.

He has 30+ HR power and can hit HR’s off the plate, in 2 strike counts, or hit to the situation.

You are right, he is beyond prospect status because of being MLB ready the last 2 seasons

6 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Stowers is several levels above the level you are giving him as a hitter and overall player. He is definitely not a throw in.

He has 30+ HR power and can hit HR’s off the plate, in 2 strike counts, or hit to the situation.

You are right, he is beyond prospect status because of being MLB ready the last 2 seasons

If he is a 30+ HR hitter and we haven’t played him for the likes of Hays for 2 seasons then shame on us!

I am rooting for Stowers and hope he gets his chance somewhere though I doubt it will be here.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

It's an up hill battle.  Tigers lost today and now play the Guardians and Twins until the deadline.  

I was in Michigan last week and the local press were arguing that Skubal should get a package similar to what the Nats got back for Juan Soto (which included Wood, Abrams and Gore, plus 2 other prospects).  They argued that the Tigers needed to hold out for three from among Cowser, Kjerstad, Norby, Holliday, Basallo and Mayo, with at least one of the big three.   

Would you give up Basallo, Cowser and Norby?  That's the most palatable combination from that list that I can think of.  

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I was in Michigan last week and the local press were arguing that Skubal should get a package similar to what the Nats got back for Juan Soto (which included Wood, Abrams and Gore, plus 2 other prospects).  They argued that the Tigers needed to hold out for three from among Cowser, Kjerstad, Norby, Holliday, Basallo and Mayo, with at least one of the big three.   

Would you give up Basallo, Cowser and Norby?  That's the most palatable combination from that list that I can think of.  

I wouldn’t. Skubal is great but getting rid of an OF’er on pace for almost 5 WAR to get him isn’t worth it if the guys getting a lot of his AB’s (Hays and Mullins) have been replacement level the last year. You’re almost equally downgrading the position player group as much as you’re upgrading the pitching, while giving up 3 extra years of control between Cowser/Skubal, and also adding in a top 15 prospect and a guy who looks like like he can be a solid regular in the MLB. 

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I wouldn’t. Skubal is great but getting rid of an OF’er on pace for almost 5 WAR to get him isn’t worth it if the guys getting a lot of his AB’s (Hays and Mullins) have been replacement level the last year. You’re almost equally downgrading the position player group as much as you’re upgrading the pitching, while giving up 3 extra years of control between Cowser/Skubal, and also adding in a top 15 prospect and a guy who looks like like he can be a solid regular in the MLB. 

If Norby can be a rock solid regular in MLB why is he in his third season in AAA?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Norby can be a rock solid regular in MLB why is he in his third season in AAA?

He just turned 24 and he has barely had a season and a half worth of AB’s in AAA. 

And because Westburg was/is better than him and they have Urias/Mateo still contributing in their own ways and on the roster. Depending on who’s traded, hopefully he or Mayo are up at some point even if it’s just to give them another bat against LHP’s. 

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He just turned 24 and he has barely had a season and a half worth of AB’s in AAA. 

And because Westburg was/is better than him and they have Urias/Mateo still contributing in their own ways and on the roster. Depending on who’s traded, hopefully he or Mayo are up at some point even if it’s just to give them another bat against LHP’s. 

Why hasn't someone traded for him?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why hasn't someone traded for him?

Why hasn’t someone traded for Holliday or Mayo? Why didn’t anyone trade for Westburg or Cowser last year? Does that mean they’re not good?

• Upvote 1

I'd do Basallo, Norby, Bradfield/Beavers, Stowers or one of pitching prospects (Bright/Armbruester). If that's not enough they can politely F off. There's no way I'm giving up two of Basallo/Mayo/Holliday/Kjerstad. I'm tempted with Basallo/Kjerstad and would do it if JUST those two. But not those two plus others.

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Why hasn’t someone traded for Holliday or Mayo? Why didn’t anyone trade for Westburg or Cowser last year? Does that mean they’re not good?

That's a disingenuous argument.

Do you think Elias is asking a King's Ransom for Norby?

If the industry as a whole believed in Norby he'd have gotten his shot by now.

Now that doesn't mean he can't make it, but it does mean that he seemingly isn't regarded as a rock solid regular.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

The Tigers and White Sox being on such different timelines it has occurred to me Elias could choreograph the mother of all mic drop moments by winning the bidding for Skubal with Cowser and Kjerstad, and Crochet with all the 2027 on guys.

That's the moment he creates an account here on the board, goes "how you like my Bats Arms mix now?", and writes Kyle Stowers into the everyday lineup.

That would be insane and awesome.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a disingenuous argument.

Do you think Elias is asking a King's Ransom for Norby?

If the industry as a whole believed in Norby he'd have gotten his shot by now.

Now that doesn't mean he can't make it, but it does mean that he seemingly isn't regarded as a rock solid regular.

I mean Elias also has only made one trade of significance where he’s given up a prospect that was highly rated. I don’t think he’s asking for a kings ransom for Norby but we also don’t know that other teams haven’t wanted him either. We’ll see what happens in the next week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

If he is a 30+ HR hitter and we haven’t played him for the likes of Hays for 2 seasons then shame on us!

I am rooting for Stowers and hope he gets his chance somewhere though I doubt it will be here.

He is left handed, therefore competing for ABs with Cowser, Kjerstad, and O'Hearn. 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Yes I would.