Mason Miller vs Skubal

Sports Guy

Hard to say which player will cost more but it should be Skubal.

An interesting debate though is who would you rather have?  Both have injury issues. Miller has more service time and the As plan to make him a starter next year.  I mention that because if he can be a good starter, all the extra time would be valuable.

Of course, we have no idea if he will transition well to starter, whereas you know Skubal is good to go if healthy.

For this year, I think it’s debatable which one helps you win more in October.

Who would you rather go after?

To me I'd prefer Miller. Love the idea of a fireman coming out of the pen. I also think he will be significantly less expensive in prospect capital than Skubal.

We can still add a 3rd starter like Bassitt and leave the deadline in theory without sacrificing any of our top prospects.

I’m operating under the assumption that Miller costs less in prospect capital (particularly after his ERA has “climbed” to over 2).  In that case, definitely him.

I’m not sure we get Skubal/Crochet/et al from the oft talked about starting pitchers without giving up one of Mayo/Holliday/Basallo. And I’m not willing to do that.

I don't trust Skubal to sustain his production.

I have a mich stronger feeling that Mason Miller is going to be consistently good for a long time as long as his arm & body holds up + stays healthy. Which is a legit area of concern considering his injury history and insane Velocity.

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hard to say which player will cost more but it should be Skubal.

An interesting debate though is who would you rather have?  Both have injury issues. Miller has more service time and the As plan to make him a starter next year.  I mention that because if he can be a good starter, all the extra time would be valuable.

Of course, we have no idea if he will transition well to starter, whereas you know Skubal is good to go if healthy.

For this year, I think it’s debatable which one helps you win more in October.

Who would you rather go after?

I just logged in and was thinking about Miller as a starter for next season, and whether he would make as much sense as Skubal does... and here you've starting a thread about the same thing.  LOL

It's hard to say what it would take to get Miller, but having him an additional five seasons would be incredible.  I'd think the packages would be somewhat similar in value, but that's just a guess.  I do not think Miller will be dealt, however.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My only question with Miller is diabetes. I don’t know enough about it but I thought the road can be little bumpy for type 1. 

Well, he can talk to Mandrews for some tips.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't trust Skubal to sustain his production.

I have a mich stronger feeling that Mason Miller is going to be consistently good for a long time as long as his arm & body holds up + stays healthy. Which is a legit area of concern considering his injury history and insane Velocity.

Is this a joke?

ERA…………WHIP

2020           5.63              1.219

2021            4.24              1.259

2022            3.52              1.156

2023            2.80              .0896

2024.           2.41               .0879

With all due respect, His performance has improved every season. If healthy it’s safe to say this guy is a #1 or #2 starter.

7 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My only question with Miller is diabetes. I don’t know enough about it but I thought the road can be little bumpy for type 1. 

Miller is just one of type 1 diabetics in MLB . Brewers’ Garrett Mitchell , Braves’ Adam Duvall , and Giants’ Jordan Hicks are also type 1 diabetics .  As type 1 diabetic myself, I can say that there are state of the art devices that can help monitor these players’ glucose levels that enable the players to adjust before it could impact their performance on the field. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

If I had my choice, it would be Skubal.   We can find another bullpen arm AND get Skubal.

Of course, you could get (likely) get Miller and maybe a few guys like Fedde and Luzardo and still keep your best 3 prospects.

So many different ways we could go…it really depends on how teams view the “other prospects”.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course, you could get (likely) get Miller and maybe a few guys like Fedde and Luzardo and still keep your best 3 prospects.

So many different ways we could go…it really depends on how teams view the “other prospects”.

That would be the perfect scenario in my humble opinion. I have been an O’s fan since the early 70’s. I want sustained winning. To me, the playoffs are all a crapshoot anyway. We could have the best pitching in baseball, and if we go into a funk and hit like we have the last couple weeks, we are one and done in the playoffs anyway.

Yes, I think we need to bolster the pitching. But I am not on board with parting with our top prospects to do it. 

• Upvote 1