Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I don't think that Kjerstad stays down. He had options so they sent him down for a bit so they could sort out all the roster moves.

You think they carry 6 outfielders?

Remembering the banter about "savages" with the White Sox board fans before Dylan Cease finally moved, who could have guessed that the 2024 BAL-CHW transaction register would end up the Orioles net adding sluggers from there?

You can't predict baseball.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Kinda surprised at the hatred for this one.  He's been dynamic at times but can't stay healthy, and is coming from a dumpster fire team.  Worth a shot to see if he can rekindle something. 

Exactly. He was one of the most promising young sluggers for a bit there. Still young and trapped on a trash fire team, perhaps they can catch some lightning in a bottle on this one, if not you’ve still got a situational bat.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bat speed is at 73.9, good but not great.

For a guy with no speed or positional value I'd like to see more red with the bat.

I don't think this is the time or the place to see if they can fix him.

image.png.e18bdbef08cff18672501bd641831588.png

It sounds like his flaw is that he’s an extreme ground ball hitter. (59% this year).  Maybe some small tweaks can result in more red. 

1 hour ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

What is the point of this?  He can’t play the field or hit.  And we are taking on money?

Just bring up Mayo 

Someone said we are paying the salary but per MLB.com the transaction is Jimenez plus cash to the O's. Not sure how much but we aren't paying all of it. 

Stitching together the Brandon Hyde and Eloy Jimenez Cubs timelines.

From ESPN story at time Elias picked Hyde https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25535692/brandon-hyde-hired-baltimore-orioles-new-manager-chicago-cubs

"I believe that we have found the ideal leader for the next era of Orioles baseball," Elias said of Hyde.

Hyde worked as Chicago's bench coach this year (2018) under manager Joe Maddon. He was in the second of three seasons as Cubs first-base coach when the team won the World Series in 2016 (making 1b coach 2015-2017)

Before that, Hyde served as Rick Renteria's bench coach in Chicago in 2014. He previously served as Chicago's director of player development from August 2012 through 2013 after joining the Cubs in December 2011 as their minor league field coordinator.

Eloy joined the Cubs organization summer of 2013, and co-headlined the Jose Quintana veteran rental with Dylan Cease in 2017.    It sounds like Hyde was serving as director of player development when Eloy affiliated.     He'd gotten on to the field in Maddon's staff by the time others in the front office sent Eloy away to the other team in town.

I guess Hyde has known Eloy from almost as young an age as Elias knew Carlos Correa.

I hope Eloy kills it as an Oriole, but I have to say this is the one move that left me shaking my head, in wondering why?!  I would have rather just brought Mayo up than add Eloy for free.  Again, I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong about this.

I’ve always liked Eloy. This reminds me of when DD made the trade with the CWS for De Aza in 2013. De Aza had an expensive option for the following season and DD picked it up. That didn’t work out though. I think we eventually shipped him to Oakland. 

We chose Eloy over Mayo and Kjerstad. That’s the downside. I think Elias wanted a cost controlled one year deal to replace Santa next year. Or even Mounty if we move on from him. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ve always liked Eloy. This reminds me of when DD made the trade with the CWS for De Aza in 2013. De Aza had an expensive option for the following season and DD picked it up. That didn’t work out though. I think we eventually shipped him to Oakland. 

We chose Eloy over Mayo and Kjerstad. That’s the downside. I think Elias wanted a cost controlled one year deal to replace Santa next year. Or even Mounty if we move on from him. 

Dont think hes here past this year, does not play the field, ME looking PH, DH postseason bat, Hits the ball hard, maybe they can tweak his swing to get more in the air

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bluedog said:

Is this the lineup once Holliday is up?

CF - Mullins

LF - Cowser

RF - Santander

3b - Westburg

ss - Henderson

2b - Holliday

c - Rutsch / McCann

1b - O'Hearn / Mountcastle

DH - Kjerstad / Jiminez

Urias

Kjerstad has to be going down.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think people are severely underrating what Eloy could bring to the team. Going to be fun to watch people come around on him. 

I think everyone realizes what he could bring to the team.  I also think they realize what he is most likely to bring to the team.   Probably not much.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1