Remember-Elias traded Tanner Scott 2 years ago for garbage. Good drafter. Horrible GM when it comes to trades.

One thing I have always been confused by is why Elias does not get more flack for trading Tanner Scott in 2022 for absolute garbage.  The trades today imo amplify in my mind that he should not be the head person in charge of all things Os. Great scout.  Bad GM.   I honestly think he has no idea what he is doing when it comes to trades.  Just today he traded two higher up prospects for a guy who is VERY average....at best.  And who cannot help us in the playoffs.  And then traded for a journeyman OF who will once again.....only block prospects. 

Make that make sense. 

But the Tanner Scott trade?  This is the King of all bad trades.  Other than the Curt Schilling trade, this may be the single worst Os trade of all time.  I remember thinking to myself when I read what he was traded for..."that's it'?  It made no sense.  Everyone could see that Scott had major strike out ability and that pitchers who strike people out are valuable,  and yet they literally gave him way.

Baltimore on Sunday night traded left-hander Tanner Scott and right-hander Cole Sulser -- a pair of relievers expected to get save opportunities this season and with multiple years left under team control -- to the Marlins in exchange for a Competitive Balance Round B Draft pick, two prospects and a player to be named later.

Heading to the O’s are left-hander Antonio Velez and outfielder Kevin Guerrero, neither of whom are within the Marlins’ Top 30 Prospects, as ranked by MLB Pipeline.

I will never understand what in the world Elias was thinking with this trade, and I am starting to wonder if he has any idea what he is thinking with any trades. 

My confidence in him is waning....quickly. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 10

So many people on here wanted to get rid of Scott. I always thought we should keep him. You just don't trade an arm like his.

But, Elias has been very good overall. Everyone makes a few mistakes.

Just now, yark14 said:

Perhaps he knows he's leaving for a bigger market club this offseason, no matter how things pan out this season.

I am talking about when Elias traded Scott to the Marlins in 2022....with years of control left....for absolute garbage. 

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One thing I have always been confused by is why Elias does not get more flack for trading Tanner Scott in 2022 for absolute garbage.  The trades today imo amplify in my mind that he should not be the head person in charge of all things Os. Great scout.  Bad GM.   I honestly think he has no idea what he is doing when it comes to trades.  Just today he traded two higher up prospects for a guy who is VERY average....at best.  And who cannot help us in the playoffs.  And then traded for a journeyman OF who will once again.....only block prospects. 

Make that make sense. 

But the Tanner Scott trade?  This is the King of all bad trades.  Other than the Curt Schilling trade, this may be the single worst Os trade of all time.  I remember thinking to myself when I read what he was traded for..."that's it'?  It made no sense.  Everyone could see that Scott had major strike out ability and that pitchers who strike people out are valuable,  and yet they literally gave him way.

Baltimore on Sunday night traded left-hander Tanner Scott and right-hander Cole Sulser -- a pair of relievers expected to get save opportunities this season and with multiple years left under team control -- to the Marlins in exchange for a Competitive Balance Round B Draft pick, two prospects and a player to be named later.

Heading to the O’s are left-hander Antonio Velez and outfielder Kevin Guerrero, neither of whom are within the Marlins’ Top 30 Prospects, as ranked by MLB Pipeline.

I will never understand what in the world Elias was thinking with this trade, and I am starting to wonder if he has any idea what he is thinking with any trades. 

My confidence in him is waning....quickly. 

🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, those Dylan Bundy, Joey Ortiz, Jorge Lopez, and Trey Mancini trades were disgraceful, too. 

You are quite the troll. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, gtman55 said:

While I'm not thrilled with some of Elias's moves, the OP's take is WAY over the top.

So just 2 years later Scott is one of the best relievers in baseball and it would have taken multiple top prospects to get him, and yet he traded him in 2022 for what amounts to......nothing.

And my take is way over the top?  Do you understand what a colossal blunder Elias made 2 years ago trading him?  For a Gm who talks about strikeouts and rev rate and velocity?  He traded away one of the top guys in that regard that he had in the system.

It made no sense then.  And sure as heck doesn't now. 

Great another dumb take on the board, and a new thread to for it to boot!

This place is intolerable and at the same time an indispensable source of news. Glad the deadline is over so the news side won’t matter as much. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Tanner Scott was awful. And he wasn’t great for the Marlins until last year. Good grief, people. Sometimes relievers turn things around. Sometimes they don’t.

Yes....awful.  Again....he was a PROSPECT.  With a lot of talent.  That we gave away.  And now we didn't even have the available talent without giving up the big 3 to trade back for him.  Why?  Because he is TALENTED. 

In 2020 for the Orioles, Scott pitched to a superb 1.31 ERA to go along with 23 strikeouts in 20+23 innings pitched over 25 games. In 2021, Scott recorded a 5.17 ERA with 70 strikeouts and 37 walks in 54 innings.[14]